Talk

Advanced search

Love the perfume, dislike the bottle! Do you still buy?

(26 Posts)
Perspective21 Tue 02-Dec-14 14:26:16

I've tried YSL Opium Black in a couple of shops lately and it really seems to "suit" me, even my teen DDs have liked the scent on my clothes later in the day. Thing is, I really don't like the bottle, it's a bit glam rock for my tastes. Would a bottle you dislike put you off or should I put it on my Christmas list and keep the bottle in a drawer? Is the bottle important to you too?

FollowTheStarship Tue 02-Dec-14 14:28:35

Yes – I'm not a big scent buyer but I would be disappointed if one I really liked came in a bottle I hated.

But you can buy bottles/dispensers for perfume. so if I really wanted it I'd do that. Keep it in a draw and decant some into a little spray bottle.

AimlesslyPurposeful Tue 02-Dec-14 14:29:25

I keep my perfumes in their boxes so the bottle doesn't bother me one bit.

ZaraW Tue 02-Dec-14 14:31:38

No it wouldn't bother me I am a bit of a minimalist and all products are kept in drawers to stop clutter.

AdoraBell Tue 02-Dec-14 14:33:37

I might keep a bottle I didn't like the look of at the back of all the others, but only an offensive design would put me off buying it if I like the perfume. Haven't actually noticed any offensive bottle designs though.

dexter73 Tue 02-Dec-14 14:34:08

It wouldn't bother me but I don't display my perfume anyway.

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Tue 02-Dec-14 14:37:25

Yes, my perfumes aren't on display anyway (being on display and exposed to light damages the scent inside) and I hate the cluttery, dust gathering nature of having loads of stuff on display so the design of the bottle doesn't really matter.

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Tue 02-Dec-14 14:42:03

That said, I'm not immune to marketing and so naff, ugly or tacky packaging would probably put me off trying a new fragrance without having first being told a bit about it first to persuade me that the stuff inside was worth it.

similarly I wouldn't buy it for a gift for someone if it was in a hideous bottle.

Perspective21 Tue 02-Dec-14 14:42:48

Interesting replies thanks. Mine aren't on display as such, they live in their boxes in a basket on top of my chest of drawers, not in direct light. I could just pop it in at the back. I do love the scent but I also like to admire a nice shaped bottle when I squirt.

Thank you smile

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Tue 02-Dec-14 14:43:08

Too many 'firsts' blush

Perspective21 Tue 02-Dec-14 14:47:53

Here's the bottle, not keen on the black, sparkly encasing, I think it looks a bit 80's but smells great on me...
I'm usually attracted to bottles with cleaner looking lines, lots of CK products!

I think I may get it and file at the back of the basket!

Carpaccio Tue 02-Dec-14 15:27:17

I look at the bottle once a day when I put the perfume on - I couldn't care less how it looks. I also keep it in the box as perfume doesn't like too much (sun)light.

There are perfumes I wouldn't dream of trying in the shops because the bottles don't appeal to me (and make me think the scents aren't for me), but if the perfume inside is amazing, then the bottle design is irrelevant to me.

SuperFlyHigh Tue 02-Dec-14 15:37:39

I don't care about the bottle. if the scent is nice it's fine. Having said that I am put off by eg Jimmy Choo Flash style of bottle.

sunflower49 Tue 02-Dec-14 16:11:35

I buy perfumes if I like the bottle even if I've not sniffed them blush but if I love the perfume, I'll still buy it regardless of the bottle. My fave perfume with the scent I adore, comes in the most boring, bog-standard cylindrical bottle with a round top ...

FrugalFashionista Tue 02-Dec-14 17:41:13

You could do worse - check out this baby wink If the bottle bothers you, buy a Travalo purse spray and hide the bottle.

dexter73 Tue 02-Dec-14 17:45:48

Actually I think I would be bothered by that Nicky Minaj bottle!

QueenofallIsee Tue 02-Dec-14 17:48:25

I know what you mean OP. DP likes Paco Robanne 1 Million but it comes in a bottle that would not look out of place on a pimp - I shudder at it. So I buy him Issey Miyake which smells nice and looks a bit more respectable!

Perspective21 Tue 02-Dec-14 18:34:58

grin at Nicki Minaj!!

Those suggesting decanting, that's a great idea, thank you.

mooth Tue 02-Dec-14 20:09:14

Same situation with Lady Million by Paco Rabanne.

OttiliaVonBCup Tue 02-Dec-14 20:13:11

I love YSL Nu.
It's the sort of thing that makes people go 'mmm, you smell nice'.
The bottle of the EdP is a thing of extreme ugliness and extremely puzzling as to where the it's decided to squirt this time.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 02-Dec-14 20:15:02

I really dislike the Marc Jacobs bottles,I think they look really cheap and like Avon bottles for little girls, but I like the perfume Daisy. I am going to get some via Perfume parlor so I can avoid the bottlewink

turdfairynomore Tue 02-Dec-14 20:20:53

I always carry perfume with me - as I don't object to smelling like "a whore's handbag" -to quote my DM! So I tend to look for a bottle that is a reasonable shape to fit in my handbag. My perfumes of choice would be Tom Ford "Black orchid" and Chanel "cristalle"- so they are easy enough to carry. Something like the Marc Jacobs bottles would be too bumpy and knobbly for me to cart about in my bag!!

Tykeisagirl Tue 02-Dec-14 20:24:36

One oft favorite scents is Spicebomb, it's technical a male scent but is very unisex. It lasts really well on me and smells divinely sweet and spicy, but it has the most awful bottle. It's in the shape of a hand grande (spice BOMB you see), which I find bordering on offensive. I hide it on a shelf in the en-suit so no one ever sees it.

banburycake Tue 02-Dec-14 20:34:40

Buy it smile it's not the bottle you wear and it should be kept in the box anyway. It's great to find a scent that suits. It could become your signature perfume.

FrugalFashionista Tue 02-Dec-14 20:59:43

Tyke masculine notes in feminines is an emerging trend in mainstream perfumery (Check out Knot and the new Jil Sander). Perfumes don't really have gender, and spicy ones are usually unisex by definition. Many of the best orientals are marketed for men - cannot think of a better spicy one on women's side... Wear whatever feels right, no need to hide the bottle. The Spicebomb bottle looks great wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now