Talk

Advanced search

I hate my lips - pic attached, please help

(48 Posts)
Imatrout Tue 02-Dec-14 10:25:17

Ok I've name changed as this is the only way I can post a pic.

I've always hated my lips. I have a thin top lip and full bottom lip which exaggerates the difference. I never wear lipstick and have always been teased as a child and adult. (Slug lip, Bubba from Forest Gump........)

I'd love to wear lipstick, as I've never been confident with eye make up, but I always end up wiping it off, as I dislike the results. Light colours make them look bigger and dark make me look like a clown.

I'd really appreciate any advice, if there is a way I could minimise their appearance?

drwitch Tue 02-Dec-14 10:29:47

I know f* all about make up but think you have a gorgeous mouth, celebrate it don't hide it

HollyJollyXmas Tue 02-Dec-14 10:30:03

People pay good money for a luscious pout like that, love!

Your lips are gorgeous!!!

If you want to slightly enlarge the top lip (to match your bottom lip) have a look at a few youtube tutorials, maybe?

I use a nude pencil or highlighter/concealer just above my natural lipline as a base, then line it again slightly above with a pinky/brown (slightly darker than nude) lipliner and fill in. If you draw the pinky brown line so that it sits on top of your natural lipline (so not a gap like a clown mouth!) it can give quite a natural effect.

pinkfrocks Tue 02-Dec-14 10:31:36

I can only suggest you do the opposite of what women with thin lips do- a kind of reverse lip liner!
You could try putting foundation over your lips as a base, then lining the bottom lip slightly inside the lip line before applying lippie.

A more permanent option could be to see a very good plastic surgeon and ask if they could reduce your bottom lip.

shushpenfold Tue 02-Dec-14 10:32:55

Agree with posters above....fab lips and most of all don't try to hide them...celebrate them! FWIW I am damn tall and was advised by my dm to celebrate it, stand tall and enjoy it. I can honestly say that I do that and it appears to be only the 'owner' of the tallness, full lips, slim hips, wide hips, big boobs, small bobs etc that DOESN'T like them. Angelina Jolie has done OK with hers! x

shushpenfold Tue 02-Dec-14 10:33:55

Don't agree with the plastic surgery though....unless you're really at that point.

NomorepepperpigPLEASE Tue 02-Dec-14 10:33:55

I Would love lips like yours. Your top lip is not thin. Honestly show them off! Get some lippy or gloss on they are lovely!

NomorepepperpigPLEASE Tue 02-Dec-14 10:34:58

DONT go down the surgery road.

atticusclaw Tue 02-Dec-14 10:36:15

Honestly, most people would kill for lips like that so please don't change them. I suspect you're just still affected by your teasing at school but then many famous beauties were teased at school for being tall, having big lips, dramatic hair colour etc.

Teeb Tue 02-Dec-14 10:37:49

I really think the biggest issue is your lack of confidence about it. If you treat it like a flaw, then you are drawing negative attention to it. Smile, wear lipstick, play around with it.

libertychick Tue 02-Dec-14 10:41:23

When I saw your thread title I assumed that you must have very thin lips or lots of lines from smoking or something like that. Instead you have lips very like mine and I love them, one of my best features IMO!! I wear nude gloss and often wear very bright lipstick too.

I don't wear bright lipstick if I am wearing full on eye make up as that that can look too much.

Also full lips keep you looking younger smile

VenusRising Tue 02-Dec-14 10:45:55

Your lips are lush, I think you have more of a problem with the bullying you used to get.

Try cognitive behavioural therapy to reassess how you think and feel about the bullying, and whether you are still going to believe what you were told years and years ago, and then you can decide how long you are going to believe what you were told years and years ago, by twats.

Listen to what we are saying, your lips are lush, your past experience of bullying is the problem.

mumofthemonsters808 Tue 02-Dec-14 10:48:25

I think your lips are fabulous and they will look amazing with lipstick on. Mine are too thin and seem to be getting thiner as I age.

NewEraNewMindset Tue 02-Dec-14 10:49:05

I was going to suggest you put lipstick on and post a few pics then as it might be that you shade of lipstick isn't right or the application of it.

I can see that your bottom lip is slightly fuller than your top but so are lots of peoples, my DPs included and he is gorgeous!!

WillkommenBienvenue Tue 02-Dec-14 10:55:16

Just smile a lot and do facercise to lift your cheeks.

You are blessed with lips that will make you look younger when you are old.

Can we have a pic of your smile?

SelfLoathing Tue 02-Dec-14 10:56:14

Pay to have a couple of makeup lessons. Doing eye make up is pretty easy but you need to get the hang of it.

Once you've seen someone do it on you a couple of times it's much easier.

Then if you make up your eyes strongly and have a paler or matt colour on your lips, your work is done.

Alsoflamingo Tue 02-Dec-14 10:58:12

Blimey - what are you moaning about? You have gorgeous, luscious Angelina Jolie lips!!

Vitalstatistix Tue 02-Dec-14 11:03:27

I think they are lovely lips.

But, since it doesn't matter that I like them, only how you feel, you could as others have said, look on youtube for tips how to make the bottom lip look thinner.

Or you could put your top lip over your bottom lip a bit.

I couldn't think how to best describe it so I took a couple of pictures of me doing it grin

YouAreBoring Tue 02-Dec-14 11:47:27

Your lips are similar to Angie's smile,

I like them. There is another actress with similar lips but I can't quite remember her name. I'm going to try and remember.

McSqueezy Tue 02-Dec-14 11:51:35

You could get Juvederm in your top lip, to even them out a little bit more.

YouAreBoring Tue 02-Dec-14 11:52:05

Can you post a picture of yourself smiling?

EducationQuestions Tue 02-Dec-14 11:58:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Imatrout Tue 02-Dec-14 12:00:15

Thank you for all the replies and compliments. I really wish I could get over the issues I have about the way I look, and embrace and make the most of it.

I am confident, but not with my looks. I'm not vain or expect to look a certain way, it's just the product of a childhood of bullying.

I also suffered with acne from about 10 to 15. I ended up on roaccutane, but by this point so much bullying had my self esteem at rock bottom.

I believe I should really address all this, but I'm so shit at juggling everything, I put this way down on the priority list.

I'm going to try some of the make up suggestions and I'll post a pic of results. Thank you so much for taking time in explaining this for me.

I'll try a smiling one too!

YouAreBoring Tue 02-Dec-14 12:33:27

I remembered the actress... It's Krysten Ritter (sp?). If you google her then you will see she has a very full lower lip and a much thinner upper lip.

She is beautiful.

Carpaccio Tue 02-Dec-14 12:52:20

You have nothing to hate - your lips are perfectly fine smile

If you're not used to wearing makeup, especially brighter or darker colours, it always will feel like it looks wrong in the beginning. It's just because it looks different compared to what you're used to seeing on your face - it's not because it's horrible or clown-like.

If you are interested in evening out your lips, then this guide might help you: www.lisaeldridge.com/video/25716/how-to-make-thin-or-uneven-lips-look-full-fabulous-without-surgery/#.VH2yNMmrQlQ
This might also have some tips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhwHQ1w6krw

If I were you, I'd get a 'my lips but better' kind of colour - it gives colour to the lips, but isn't too bright/dark/different.
Maybe when you feel comfortable wearing a more neutral colour, you can get a red/berry colour and wear it as a stain (a thin layer, maybe mixed with a bit of lip balm) until you're happy wearing it full-on.

Your lips really are lovely smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now