Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone used a stylist or personal styling session in a dept store?

(6 Posts)
UnMasterChef Mon 01-Dec-14 21:26:57

I always seem to look a bit of a mess, and never as stylish or as smart as I would like to. And I'm starting to think about the "dressing for the job you want" thing. I've been investigating the stye profile thing at John Lewis, or hiring a local stylist, but have no idea if they are any good. How do you find someone good? Is John Lewis good or will I come out looking frumpy?

Thanks

WildBillfemale Tue 02-Dec-14 06:40:42

I used one at John Lewis - my favourite store and yes ended up looking frumpy. I bought about 4 things, returned 3 but must admit the trousers I kept were probably the best cost to wear ratio ever and I would never have picked them up myself so I wouldn't rule it out.

Several stores now do this for free, Next etc, maybe do it with 2 or 3. Atthe very least you'll have an objective pair of eyes giving you suggestions.

Fabulassie Tue 02-Dec-14 08:39:13

I met a personal shopper from House of Fraser. She said that they do not work on commission and there's no obligation to buy. I am going to try it out in January.

Of course, that may be a bit different from a stylist, but this lady seemed to have great personal style.

Littleturkish Tue 02-Dec-14 08:41:48

I used topshop and loved it. Bought loads and really enjoyed myself.

I would pick a shop/department store that you aspire to be able to put outfits together in the style of, and use them to avoid the frumpiness possibility.

Topshop stylist wanted lots of info from me on my personal tastes and aspirations before I came in. I loved 90% of what she picked.

Poopooplop Tue 02-Dec-14 08:51:10

I did it in Debenham. It was fabulous! Tried on loads of stuff I'd never ever have gone near and bought a beautiful dress and other things. Really really worth doing.

UnMasterChef Tue 02-Dec-14 18:58:35

Thanks, I'm definitely the wrong shape/ size/ age for Topshop. I might just give a few ago, there's a John Lewis where we live, then I can always try House of Fraser in London. Or might even do John Lewis in London as well, I do like a lot of things in their fashion dept now, but can't put them together. I've been watching that documentary about Tatler and basically want the wardrobe the editor has

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now