Talk

Advanced search

I love this dress, this dress does not love me.. Alternatives??

(11 Posts)
Sarri Mon 01-Dec-14 18:55:53

www.asos.com/warehouse/warehouse-glitter-tunic-dress/prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=4608991&SearchQuery=warehouse+dress+teal&pgesize=4&pge=1&totalstyles=4&gridsize=3&gridrow=1&gridcolumn=2

So I love this dress, sparkly but kind of understated. By my standards, quite glam (I usually wear Cos, Whistles, stuff that would have qualified for the 'I want to dress like an architect' thread, if that makes sense!)

Unfortunately, when I tried it on, it sent me straight to frumpsville, I'm short, big boobs and it just hangs straight off them, and looked kind of matronly sad Please can anyone recommend something else that has a similarly low key glam vibe, but would suit an hourglass shape a bit better..? Thank you, thank you, thank you!

MrsLettuce Mon 01-Dec-14 19:03:42

That colour is stunning, might you be able have it altered so it nips in at the waist? Is hard to see exactly how it's constructed though.

Sarri Mon 01-Dec-14 19:10:16

You are right on the money with it needing a bit more shape at the waist, but I'm not sure it would be straightforward. It's two layers, I think they'd both need altering, and the outer sparkly layer is very thin,be very easy to snag. And yes, the colour is lovely!!

SuperFlyHigh Mon 01-Dec-14 19:16:50

how about belting it?

tights/leggings and heels would ramp it up a notch

Sarri Mon 01-Dec-14 20:58:54

Hmm, I am not convinced by belting it - I like that, other than being sparkly, it's quite low key, belting it makes it a bit too va va voom for me!

LadyIsabellaWrotham Mon 01-Dec-14 21:13:23

I had a sack shaped dress taken in at the waist by a professional dressmaker recently and it was find even though it was lined and very fine silk. (A reputable dressmaker should tell you if you're asking the impossible) However, even if it's given a waist, will the neckline not be unflattering to the larger norked lady?

Sarri Mon 01-Dec-14 21:45:21

Yes, it is rather. It looks better with a big necklace to break things up but basically I am a short curvy woman who wants to wear things that suit tall, flat-chested women sad

SuperFlyHigh Mon 01-Dec-14 21:47:45

I'm curvy and 5 ft 5 but it'd suit me.... There must be a similar dress out there for your shape.

MrsLettuce Mon 01-Dec-14 22:34:33

this might be worth a stab, if they have your size

Rocket1982 Tue 02-Dec-14 05:25:53

How about trying a tight sports bra underneath to flatten things a bit? I haven't tried that with dresses yet, but I like similar styles and have thought of trying it.

FauxFox Tue 02-Dec-14 12:11:01

this might be a better shape for you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now