Talk

Advanced search

mascara

(16 Posts)
zippyswife Mon 01-Dec-14 10:25:01

I'm looking for a new mascara- any recommendations?

Hoggle246 Mon 01-Dec-14 10:30:08

I posted about this a week or so ago and got brilliant replies if you can find the thread. I went for Benefit They're Real and am pleased with it

zippyswife Mon 01-Dec-14 10:40:25

Thanks- I will look for your thread (I might just go for the same as you)!

justleavethebottle Mon 01-Dec-14 10:58:00

I think it depends what kind of lashes you have and what kind of lashes you want. I have used loads over the years, but always come back to bourjous. I have used mascaras which make my lashes look more dramatic, longer etc, but tbh, I always find those ones make my eyelashes more brittle and so I end up going back to my usual. Maybe I just have weak eyelashes. YSL Babydoll work really well for achieving the false lash look, but again, I found my lashes were breaking off and also, the mascara dries out much quicker. I always find this with the mascaras which make your lashes extra long and thick.

LeoandBoosmum Mon 01-Dec-14 13:53:13

YSL's Babydoll is so highly perfumed that if that bothers you I would avoid. My mum used to use YSL mascara until she got fed up of it drying out so fast, esp for the price.

BuzzardBird Mon 01-Dec-14 13:55:54

I bought the Bourjois foundation from Boots the other day and received a free gift of smoky eyes eyeshadow trio, nude nail and lip colours and a full size mascara. It is great, I would compare it to Dior Show but obviously didn't cost anywhere near.

justleavethebottle Mon 01-Dec-14 18:45:36

Leo, yep. It always dries out so quickly.

Buzz, just noticed my *bourjois typo. Yeah, it's good overall. It's not wow, I look like I'm wearing falsies, but then that's not what I really want anyway. It's a good builder upper. Oh I remember Dior Show. I got it for christmas one year and was amazed by how it got my eyelashes so thick and long. Proper bambi eyes, but again, after about 2 weeks, it got clumpy and thick and eventually my wand just got stuck, because the liquid was so thick. I would say that one lasted about a month, until I had to give up and throw it in the bin. The YSL Babydoll though, I'd say I was lucky if I got 3 weeks out of that! Very annoying.

SofaCanary Mon 01-Dec-14 19:03:31

Laura Mercier Full Blown is the best one I've ever tried.

NuzzleandScratch Mon 01-Dec-14 19:10:09

Slight hijack, but does anyone know if you have to remove the Benefit one with special remover? Only when I googled, it came up with the mascara and also a special remover - is this a con? Sounds like a way to extract more money to me.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Mon 01-Dec-14 19:13:50

I love Benefits They're real but I find it goes clumpy if I layer it (two coats is the maximum that looks good on my eyelashes)
I used Gatineau Floracil for years but found Soap&Glory Drama Clean was better to remove it.
I haven't tried the Benefit remover though.

RiojaHaze Mon 01-Dec-14 19:15:51

The Younique fibre mascara is the popular one with my friends at the moment.
Haven't tried it myself as I bulk bought a while ago but it seems to be good!

ScooseIsLoose Mon 01-Dec-14 19:21:15

They're real did nothing for me! I have tried them all both expensive and cheaper and the best mascara for me is the urban decay perversion with their subversion eyelash primer. It is amazing!

Hoggle246 Tue 02-Dec-14 08:45:32

nuzzle I've been removing the benefit mascara with my usual stuff and it's been fine. I use the Neal's Yard organic remover so it's not harsh at all but still does the job fine.

I do agree with pp that it can go clumpy so two coats is max for me and only one on the bottom lashes. It's definitely making my lashes look better though which is no mean feat given that they are absolute shite.

Cheesymonster Tue 02-Dec-14 11:06:59

I think the Benefit remover is for the gel liner, nuzzle

NuzzleandScratch Tue 02-Dec-14 21:52:58

Thanks Hoggle, that's good to know.

Cheesy, it says it's for the mascara and the eyeliner. Bit unnecessary then it seems!

Havingkittens Wed 03-Dec-14 13:12:16

Best budget mascara I've tried is Maybelline's Colossal Mascara. It's amazing for a cheapy one. Will give a lot of luxury brands a run for their money.

If you're looking for a luxury brand, Lancome's new Grandiose mascara is brilliant and has a special swan necked brush, ideal for the cack handed and great for getting right into the roots of the lashes without blobbing mascara everywhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now