Talk

Advanced search

Any be ladies about care to explain how bra intervention works?

(20 Posts)
ineedsomeinspiration Sat 29-Nov-14 23:48:12

Been bra shopping today and was a bloody disaster nothing seems to fit me right. Lady in shop measured me 38E but that didn't sit right either. I'm trying to find some nice wedding underwear and it's all going horribly wrong!
Doesn't help I'm pretty sure one boob is a size bigger than the other.
sad

marriednotdead Sun 30-Nov-14 00:20:02

Hello, sorry you're struggling but not surprised at all!

The intervention threads use this blog as a guide to finding an approximate starting size although depending on the shape and positioning of your breasts, it can vary.

Finding the right bra is like getting the perfect pair of jeans, you many have to try many styles until you find the one that suits your shape best.

There's also a page on the blog about managing asymmetry- virtually everyone has one boob bigger than the other and in varying degrees. If it's a small difference- less than a cup- it's usually best to fit to the larger breast to avoid bulging through tops.

Keep asking questions, there's always someone around happy to share solutions smile

marriednotdead Sun 30-Nov-14 00:21:01

Too many manys there! Have a may grin

ineedsomeinspiration Sun 30-Nov-14 07:58:44

Ok so I have measured and i measure 36 around my chest(I am very broad/with big shoulders) and 46 if I measure to the bigger boob, 45 if I measure to the smaller one. So that would make me a 36 G/GG which seems massive as I've been wearing a DD!
The lady yesterday measured me a 38E but none of these really fitted and she kept bringing me really old fussy ones with a really full cup despite me explaining I wanted something for my wedding and that my dress had some cleavage involved.
Feeling quite fed up now, wedding is 3 weeks away. Am going to London next weekend for husband to be's work do and could probably sneak in a few hours shopping can anyone recommend somewhere that might make bra shopping enjoyable?

Lookslikeimstuckhere Sun 30-Nov-14 08:00:52

Bravissimo are great and have lots of different styles. They measure by eye so may be a bit different to the intervention size but only usually by one or two cup sizes or one band, depending on the style of bra. Good luck!

ineedsomeinspiration Sun 30-Nov-14 08:03:03

Do I need to make an appointment there? Would really love to go somewhere and not feel fed up. Bloody boobs!

Keenoonvino Sun 30-Nov-14 08:52:10

Rigby and peller I have found are the only place that can measure me so the bras feel comfortable. They are also good at telling you what style will fit best. For example, I cannot wear balconette (is that what they're called?) bras as my boobs are too big/ the wrong shape.

SoMuchForSubtlety Sun 30-Nov-14 08:58:40

Bravissimo. You can just walk in and make an appointment straightway, I've never had to wait long.

If you want a more expensive bra, then as Keen said Rigby and Peller.

It's quite a revelation. And invaluable if you decide to have kids - my breastfeeding boobs were HUGE and if I hadn't had a properly fitted bra they would have been sagging to my waist shock

ineedsomeinspiration Sun 30-Nov-14 09:18:58

Too late for the kids bit, luckily my boobs didn't actually really change during in pregnancy or breast feeding. Didn't get engorged once.
Ok I think bravissimo would be a good start, want something nice but don't want to spend 100s.

EdithWeston Sun 30-Nov-14 09:23:38

Bravissimo, but for the London branches you might want to make an appointment (they have a mix of appointment and walk-in) if you want to avoid hanging round for a slot or having to come back later.

I'd start with Bravissimo too. R&P are good but they're very expensive, and sometimes not as sharp on fitting actually. I suspect part of the reason she kept bringing you full cups is that they hide bad fitting better!

What shape is your wedding dress, maybe we can suggest some styles available in your likely size range?

ineedsomeinspiration Sun 30-Nov-14 19:12:28

It's not a "proper" wedding dress but I like it and it's hugely flattering. We are only have a small registry office wedding with family.

It's this style but pale gold/oyster. I have deep red shoes and roses. Underwear doesn't have to be traditional wedding stuff and I'm allmupmfor a bit of colour.

Ooh that's nice! How fitted is it around the bum and thighs -are suspenders etc likely to show through?

ineedsomeinspiration Sun 30-Nov-14 22:57:12

I think they will yes but probably only when I'm seated. I was going to of for some plain hold ups.

marriednotdead Mon 01-Dec-14 20:25:41

Take your dress bra shopping with you if you can smile

PrimroseEverdeen Mon 01-Dec-14 21:31:27

Gorgeous dress!

ineedsomeinspiration Tue 02-Dec-14 08:51:48

Not easy to take it bra shopping as will be going to a hotel with husband to be this weekend and will only get the opportunity for a couple of hours shopping in London and don't really want to carry it round on the tube etc.

I tried on a 36 G in Tesco (yes I know rubbish bras but was just trying to see) and what a difference. All the flabby bits that stick out the sides gone and my boobs looked so different all be it slightly huge!

ineedsomeinspiration Tue 02-Dec-14 08:52:23

Thank you PrimroseEverdeen

marriednotdead Tue 02-Dec-14 09:14:44

Ok, if you can't take that lovely dress, have the pic on your phone so that the fitter can see the neckline.

Don't worry about the bra appearing to be huge, it won't make you look bigger but will definitely improve your silhouette.

Looking forward to an update smile

ineedsomeinspiration Tue 09-Dec-14 08:57:12

OK so I'm a 36 F/FF so I wasn't that far out with 38 DD/E but still wrong enough for them to be uncomfortable. So much better now.

The Lady in Bravissimo was lovely and so helpful with my awkward boobs (they are high set and wide). Managed to get 3 bras in there but not my wedding stuff. She sent me off to John Lewis as she said they had a good range and I did get something, it's red!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now