Talk

Advanced search

Best regular use hair masque for coloured hair

(24 Posts)
NoelleHawthorne Sat 29-Nov-14 21:15:27

Anyone found one they like?

NoelleHawthorne Sun 30-Nov-14 14:36:53

muntermonster Sun 30-Nov-14 14:41:13

I don't dye my hair any more, but it's thick, curly, and very prone to dryness. Best remedy I've found is applying pure virgin coconut oil to dry hair in the evening, cover it up by wearing one of DD's old t shirts to bed, and wash it out in the morning. Makes a huge difference and works better than any proprietary conditioner I've tried (and I've tried hundreds over the years!).

muntermonster Sun 30-Nov-14 14:42:00

Oh, and I do this once a week.

NoelleHawthorne Sun 30-Nov-14 14:42:12

Really? Tell more

muntermonster Sun 30-Nov-14 14:45:14

That's it really - what else do you want to know? I got the coconut oil from Holland and Barrett, about £15 for half a kilo. Have had the same jar for 8 months and it's still a quarter full (despite using it for other stuff too) so it's pretty good value.

NoelleHawthorne Sun 30-Nov-14 14:48:18

Ah. Was going to ask about retail. Does it rinse ok?

muntermonster Sun 30-Nov-14 14:53:25

Yes. I do curly girl method so only ever wash it out with conditioner (never shampoo), and never had any problems, so if you use shampoo it will be fine.

But I do recommend curly girl method if your hair is dry!

MakeMeWarmThisWinter Sun 30-Nov-14 15:06:47

I get a jar of pure coconut oil from Tesco online and do this too. this one and the jar lasts a year of weekly use. Smooth through hair til it looks like you dipped it in chip fat, leave overnight (cover pillow in a towel) and wash out. I shampoo twice when I do this and it comes out fine. Leaves my hair feeling stronger.

Sometimes I just smooth some through and jump straight in shower, still does the trick but best if you can leave it as long as poss to soak in.

If you want to spend money though, Kerastase Masquintense is very good too. Cheapest via huge professional size pots resold on EBay.

NoelleHawthorne Sun 30-Nov-14 15:14:21

Thanks both

NoelleHawthorne Mon 01-Dec-14 21:12:03

I have coconut. Ready to use.

MakeMeWarmThisWinter Mon 01-Dec-14 21:19:38

You doing it overnight? Do condition as usual after you wash it out, by the way.

NoelleHawthorne Mon 01-Dec-14 22:02:23

I am greased up. Smell like Malibu. Will wash and condition tomorrow

muntermonster Tue 02-Dec-14 11:07:27

Yay! Hope it all went well. I did mine overnight on Sunday and had luscious shiny non-frizzy locks yesterday :D

twobambinos Tue 02-Dec-14 12:08:26

I use the loreal elvive in the white pot with the red lid its a masque for coloured hair
My hair is so easy to brush after it. Just pop it on for a few mins in the shower

NoelleHawthorne Tue 02-Dec-14 17:09:42

Maybe less frizzy. I'm not sure I put enough on

Ujjayi Tue 02-Dec-14 17:15:14

Castor oil is good too. Very sticky tho & you don't need a lot.

nicelyneurotic Tue 02-Dec-14 18:30:59

I like Kerastase chroma reflect and a hydrating one by joico (forget what it's called, in gold/bronze packaging). I leave them on for about 5 minutes and rinse off.

NoelleHawthorne Wed 03-Dec-14 16:50:35

uodate
Day two - think it is less frizzy and easier to blow dry.

HaveAGoodDay Fri 05-Dec-14 09:41:03

I tend to use the Aussie colour mate ( or is it matte?) treatment/intensive conditioner after every wash, I don't leave it in for the full 3 mins after every wash though just once a week. My hair is seriously over - coloured, I colour it it with a permanent colour nearly every 5 weeks! Using this Aussie stuff has helps it a lot!

GeorginaWorsley Fri 05-Dec-14 13:19:50

I couldn't get on with coconut oil.
Probably used too much though, in fairness.
I use Aussie 3 min miracle but leave on for 10 min.

splodgeness Fri 05-Dec-14 13:36:51

I used to use Aussie 3 minute miracle and it did used to be truly miraculous. But like a lot of these things the fabulous effects wore off after a while. I think you have to keep changing products with your hair as it gets used to things. Recently I have been doing the coconut oil thing and it is very effective (and very simple and cheap). I also sometimes put L'oreal extraordinary oil stuff on overnight which also works well, and you don't need much.

muntermonster Fri 05-Dec-14 20:30:23

But like a lot of these things the fabulous effects wore off after a while. I think you have to keep changing products with your hair as it gets used to things.

Maybe because a lot of these products contain silicone, which makes hair glossy in the short term but drier in the long term.

StickEm Sun 07-Dec-14 11:16:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now