Talk

Advanced search

Double cleansing gurus please help me

(12 Posts)
TheGirlWhoPlayedWithFire Sat 29-Nov-14 13:01:23

Having had terrible skin for years I have read several threads on here and some linked to blogs about double cleansing.

Due to bad acne marks I am currently using a cleansing glycolic cleanser face wash followed by the effaclor duo that was recommended. I use sunscreen as recommended on the face wash and just use the normal sunscreen I usually use for holiday. My skin is quite oily so I didn't think I'd need a moisturiser.

I've been using these for a week and my skin is currently suffering a huge breakout and is worse than ever!

Is this normal? I was hoping the double cleansing would help but it seems to have made things worse.

I was also going to add in using Alpha H as recommended on a previous thread, but the poor condition of my skin is making me doubt adding on another product which may not help.

Where am I going wrong? Would love some tips on how to get nice, supple skin.

thisissohard Sat 29-Nov-14 13:27:51

Hi there! I think your skin has gone into overdrive. I think with all the AHAs you are putting on your skin, it is drying out, thus causing it to pump out more oil and get congested (I did the very same thing). So, I'll pass on the advice that I was given and my skin settled down.

Morning- don't use the glycolic cleanser in the morning. Double cleanse with a gentle cream cleanser, such as Simple or Superdrug's Vitamin E. Then apply a hydrating serum, such as Vichy Aqualia or some such like.

Evening- double cleanse with an oily balm (to get any make up off- Body Shop do a nice Nutraganics oily cleanser) and then at this point, use the glycolic wash. Then put your Effaclar on as a serum and then use an oil (such as Clarins Lotus Oil). This will balance the skin and control oil.

Hopefully, this will calm your skin down. You are still using AHA products, but adding hydration into the morning routine.

TheGirlWhoPlayedWithFire Sat 29-Nov-14 13:43:55

Thank you!! I am an uber novice where my skin is concerned.

Will give that a go. I did use a really lovely lush cleanser, which was very gentle so may try that in the morning instead.

And I apologise for sounding stupid - what's a hydration serum - like a moisturiser?

I'm glad I'm not the only person to have made this error.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 29-Nov-14 13:46:35

Sounds what you are doing is too harsh for your skin.

Try cleansing with The Body Shop's camomile butter balm morning and night and see how you get on. I had the worst skin ever after using LRP products, fine for a couple of weeks and then it was awful. I don't like face washes at all, I've yet to find one that is gentle enough and doesn't strip the skin.

FabULouse Sat 29-Nov-14 13:56:03

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

thisissohard Sat 29-Nov-14 14:04:07

A serum is lighter in texture than a moisturiser and targets a specific concern. It goes on first. You can layer a moisturiser on top, if you feel as though your skin needs it, but I manage ok with a light serum. Dame is right (thanks again for the Revlon Colorstay advice. I'm still using it). LRP can be very harsh, so maybe just use the Effaclar every other night. I once got the whole range of Effaclar, as I had oily and spotty skin. Aaaaargh. It went crazy!! I really recommend wither Vichy Aqualia serum (in a blue glass bottle) or Eucerin Hyaluron Filler serum (comes in 6 5ml vials) Both can be found in Boots.

radiobedhead Sat 29-Nov-14 14:11:50

What's the face wash like? Is it a foaming thing that you put on wet skin and rinse off? If so, dump it!

Please don't try to take away the oil from your skin - it may overcompensate and produce more, or you'll irritate your already sensitive skin.

Use creams and balms, NOT washes. Be gentle, don't strip.

I would always use a moisturiser - you can get oil free ones. I have oily skin too and use oil cleansers and oil treatments.

My skin is loads better since I started treating it as sensitive skin not oily skin.

Shop Sat 29-Nov-14 14:45:33

Are you double cleansing with the Glycolic wash? If so that maybe making it worse, use a gentle cleanser first to remove makeup & suncream then the wash to treat your skin.
I'd only use Effaclar duo once a day and follow with a moisturiser.
Definitely make sure the suncream is especially for the face. I've used Ultrasun face & Alpha H SPF 50.

Also, only double cleanse on an evening. It will be too much twice a day

TheGirlWhoPlayedWithFire Sat 29-Nov-14 16:01:32

I'm so glad I checked! Yes I've been doing the double cleanse twice a day. No wonder my skins a mess - sounds like I've gone about this the wrong way.

Yes the face wash was a slather and rinse job - ill bin that then.

Will invest in a soft cleanser and hydrating serum.

Will also look at a decent moisturiser/SPF.

I going to boots now - thank you, you wise and lovely lot.

Blamenargles Sat 29-Nov-14 16:54:02

I get bad spots and for years used things to dry my skin out which made it worse.

Iv now realised I got spots because my skin was dehydrated

My skin routine now:
Evening
Body shop camomile oil. First cleanse to remove makeup

Lush ultrabland second cleanse

Clarins brightening toner. Acid tone to exfoliate

Clarins normal toner. I put this in a spray bottle

Then bodyshop vit c serum then clarins hydraquench moisturiser

In a morning I cleanse once with the ultrabland, tone then use effaclar duo then moisturiser

My skin is loads better I still get the odd break out but that's normally hormonal or too much bad food and not enough water.

Blamenargles Sat 29-Nov-14 16:54:39

Also check out Caroline hirons cheat sheet on her blog

Zanzibaragain Sat 29-Nov-14 18:53:51

Cetaphil has cured my skin after years of scrubbing and stripping.
Simple product cheap and calming.

Gentle, gentle, gentle, is the way to go

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now