Talk

Advanced search

Wallis. What is you opinion?

(27 Posts)
TheNewWitchOfSWL Fri 28-Nov-14 10:50:38

I bought a lovely top from Wallis and I am in love with the fabric.
What is your opinion on this brand? What age group/style is it aimed for?

lynniep Fri 28-Nov-14 10:55:43

Its a 30s upwards brand. I stopped buying from Wallis ages ago. They did the prettiest dresses which washed appallingly. Nothing to do with how I washed them. I always followed the instructions. but they went bobbly and faded immediately.

TheNewWitchOfSWL Fri 28-Nov-14 11:01:52

oh shame!
I bought my tunic dress from eBay and it was already used. It is washing very well and keeps the shape. It is viscose and elastane though.
I am 37 but people often thinks I am under 30? True. Maybe time to dress more grow up now...

SinglePringle Fri 28-Nov-14 11:05:38

I just looked at the website for the first time ever. I looked at dresses. There is not one on there I would wear. Way too dowdy for me. I'm 45...

ZaraW Fri 28-Nov-14 11:08:15

I find it pretty dull but I have a friend who loves it and buys her work clothes from there.

ouryve Fri 28-Nov-14 11:08:28

They used to do some lovely stuff, cut to fit and flatter more mature figures, but the quality has gone way downhill. I don't think I've bought anything from there for about a decade.

AgathaF Fri 28-Nov-14 11:16:04

Their stuff is pretty dull these days. Too much in the way of man-made fabrics too.

rubyflipper Fri 28-Nov-14 11:17:31

Mumsy

TheNewWitchOfSWL Fri 28-Nov-14 11:18:19

Really? So what are your favourites brands?
I am looking to change my wardrobe but it has to come from eBay, so what should I search for?
As I said I want to look more grown up but still 'young'. Not TOO fashionable.
I don't do well with very bright colours but I hate brown and grey.

I am 5ft4 size 8-10.

AWholeLottaNosy Fri 28-Nov-14 11:20:16

It used to be stylish and elegant but I think it's tat now. It used to be one of my favourite shops but I never buy anything from there now. I wonder what happened to it?

TheNewWitchOfSWL Fri 28-Nov-14 11:21:04

Maybe the top I bought is an old collection ;)

ZaraW Fri 28-Nov-14 11:22:20

I love COS, J Crew, Whistles (for jeans) & Other Stories.

SuperFlyHigh Fri 28-Nov-14 11:27:32

Dull and mumsy these days - but as others have said they used to have really nice tops etc...

Ha ha - I agree with ZaraW but would add Massimo Dutti, Zara, Oasis, Warehouse (for tops and workwear). I'd also add Banana Republic but in sales and for accessories especially.

Whistles i find expensive and not great quality. Sales are good for them though.

COS and & Other Stories are luckily a train ride away from where i live/work and I must admit not everything in COS grabs me. But & Other Stories is another matter, gorgeous stuff even for a 43 year old like myself! smile

SuperFlyHigh Fri 28-Nov-14 11:28:40

Also OP - Ebay is great but what about sales and discount codes?

I've found some great bargains in Whistles concessions in dept stores. and when Grazia has a 25% off voucher even better.

SinglePringle Fri 28-Nov-14 11:50:58

Yup, I'm also Zara, Massimo Duti, & Other Stories, Mango, Whistles, Vivienne Westwood, J Crew, All Saints, ASOS (lots!), Top Shop, Jaegar Boutique, My Wardrobe.Com, The Dressing Room.com plus concessions in Selfridges. I'm 45 as posted above.

Greengardenpixie Fri 28-Nov-14 12:08:19

I am 47 and shop at toast, seasalt, i have a few things from mint velvet, lots of things from whitestuff, There is always things in their seasons collection that i really like and are so easy to wear despite the attitude of a few people on mumsnet [ignore it and buy what suits] A few things from urban outfitters and topshop, some joules things over the years, boden. I have some basics from next. I dont personally like things in wallis although i have to say there were a few lovely tunics in the sale recently and they were so cheap. I get put off because the styles are quite frumpy and remind me of what i should wear...kind of grown up old lady fashion - which i hate. I love anthropologie but haven't ever bought anything from them.

burnishedsilver Fri 28-Nov-14 12:12:14

I generally consider them a bit old for me. I'm 43. Having said that I've had a few fantastic pieces from there. If you trawl through the website you can find the odd gem.

flymetotheprune Fri 28-Nov-14 14:49:18

Knocking on the door of 49 and no way am I ready to wear the frumpy tat that Wallis churns out.

hellsbellsmelons Fri 28-Nov-14 15:06:05

I agree with everyone here.
They used to be great when I was much younger.
They are just awful now. Haven't bought anything in there for years and years.

I tend to shop on ASOS, New Look sometimes have some nice things, Boohoo.com, Roman originals (for work dresses only), Next is OK for shoes, Dorothy Perkins can occasionally have some nice stuff (I ordered a duffle coat from there earlier).
Out and about I like House of Fraser as you have a wide choice of loads. Recently bought Oasis and Warehouse and Coast stuff!

Corygal Fri 28-Nov-14 16:27:20

Nylon frumpery.

TimeForAnotherNameChange Fri 28-Nov-14 16:39:08

I have a great little summer dress from there from about 8 years ago that's stood the test of time. Not sure I'd shop there now unless there was something that really took my eye.

XiCi Fri 28-Nov-14 21:25:08

I agree that you used to be able to find some nice things in Wallis but the last few years it has been full of horrible frumpy nylon tat. It's hard to understand how it has gone so wrong.
I'm 43 and shop at french connection, massimo dutti, Zara, oasis, warehouse, Ted baker, asos, espirit amongst others. It might be worth you looking at a few sites online to see which brands you prefer then search them out on ebay.

NoelleHawthorne Fri 28-Nov-14 21:28:55

dont wear tunics. Full Stop

GeorginaWorsley Fri 28-Nov-14 23:08:49

I haven't bought anything from there since about 2004.
Used to be good for jewellery but not now . seems full of polyester and garish prints.

I know most of these dearer but I prefer

Whistles
Cos
White Company
sandwich
mint velvet
occasionally Boden if plain
Great Plains or French Connection.

DorisIsALittleBitPartial Fri 28-Nov-14 23:11:04

It's my favourite shop. I didn't think I looked dull, frumpy and mumsy sad
I'm 43 btw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now