Talk

Advanced search

Depleting the world's stock of cotton buds in pursuit of a cat's eye liner flick

(18 Posts)
u32ng Wed 26-Nov-14 21:21:00

So I'm practicing how to do a cat's eye liner look as I've never been able to do it and I'm determined to figure it out!!

1hr later and my hands look like I've been in the coal mines, the bedroom is littered with tissues and cotton buds, and I'm STILL not convinced I've done it properly. AND I've only done 1 eye. Ffs, I'm a 33yr old grown woman - why is this beyond me??!

(I swear my eye shape is too weird as my eye's crease fold semi-circles down to the edge of my eye so I don't have a 'flat' surface to work on IYSWIM..)

dun1urkin Wed 26-Nov-14 21:25:48

This was in an article in the guardian recently (10 make up hacks?)
Involved either a spoon or a credit card as I recall.
Will look for a link

dun1urkin Wed 26-Nov-14 21:27:32

Spoon.

www.theguardian.com/fashion/fashion-blog/2014/nov/10/top-five-makeup-hacks-as-chosen-by-guardian-fashion

goodasitgets Thu 27-Nov-14 01:49:39

Tape. I use masking tape but I have skin of steel grin micro pore will do
Cut a piece, stick it at angle (I imagine a line as if my bottom eyelid is continuing up), draw liner on
Tape keeps it in correct place. Peel tape off, rejoice smile
Once you get more practice you can make the line thicker or thinner but it gives you a basic outline and keeps it neat

goodasitgets Thu 27-Nov-14 01:50:55

Link smile
www.elle.com/_mobile/beauty/makeup-skin-care/liquid-eyeliner-tape-trick-how-to

Mel0Drama Thu 27-Nov-14 02:59:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

whitechocolatestars Thu 27-Nov-14 03:09:57

You also need the right eyeliner. It needs to be very liquid and very black with a softish brush. I am on the lookout for another good one. Recently bought nars black liquid eyeliner pen and it is beyond useless. The liquid is thin, brush is to wide and inflexible, the colour that comes out is patchy. Complete waste of money. I had a stila one before which was perfect everytime.

MrsCampbellBlack Thu 27-Nov-14 07:22:20

use stickies

MilkThistle187 Thu 27-Nov-14 07:40:40

I found the Eyeko eyeliner that came with a magazine recently really, really good

u32ng Thu 27-Nov-14 22:23:57

Haha funnily enough I have that Eyeko one too and thought it was rubbish! Too dry - but maybe I just got a duff one? I was using the boots no.7 liner which is everything whitechocolatestars said...except it seems to be very NOT waterproof!shock

I will try the tape trick then as I have micropore (yay). Does that mean I should be doing my eyes before doing make up on my face?? I've always left my eyes until last but perhaps I will have to do eyes-->face in case I need to wipe it all off..several times grin

Firefly7 Thu 27-Nov-14 22:32:03

Whitechocolatestars - try Mac Liquidlast Liner, ticks all your boxes and doesn't budge!

TheGirlOnTheLanding Thu 27-Nov-14 22:40:35

The shape of the brush is important. I find the thin ones and the felt pen ones rubbish, for me, it needs to be the little pots with the chunky brush that tapers to a point. Used to be Rimmel, currently Body Shop, as brown better for me than black (and Rimmel only do that type in black now. Bastards.) And even after years of practice, some mornings I sneeze and have to start over again.

Firefly7 Thu 27-Nov-14 22:45:38

Sorry u33ng, not much of a tip, but I uses tiny bit of soft kohl pencil and sort of drag it upwards with the side of my finger to get the flick angle, then go over it with liquid liner,if that helps at all.

CointreauVersial Thu 27-Nov-14 22:48:10

I can't do a flick because my eyes are too wrinkly at the corners. blush

Barry M Liquid Eyeliner is the dog's bollocks, though.

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Thu 27-Nov-14 22:49:52

My cat eye issue is trying to get them to match. My first eye comes out ok but then trying to get the second to look even.

goodasitgets Fri 28-Nov-14 06:24:00

I do eyes then face so I can wipe off any eyeshadow fallout smile

MarysDressSways1 Fri 28-Nov-14 10:01:58

I have my eyes like this every day. (Maybe I should be more original) and I love rimmel's liquid eyeliner with a little brush. Benefit's magic ink is similar but way more expensive. Both stay on really well and don't transfer.

I start at the middle of the eye and get the line there correct and then do the flicks at the end.

ZacharyQuack Fri 28-Nov-14 10:09:34

If you use tape, stick it to the back of your hand and remove it a couple of times to reduce the amount of stickiness and make it easier to pull off your eye (ouch) without removing your face makeup.

Using a pencil to mark a dot at the ending (starting?) point for the flick can help keep them even.

Use a pointy cotton bud and eyemakeup remover to tidy up the edges.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now