Talk

Advanced search

Nail problem - what's this all about?

(4 Posts)
shggg245 Wed 26-Nov-14 20:19:21

Can anyone tell me why both my thumbnails repeatedly break in exactly the same place? They break to the side midway down the nail, so low down that it nearly bleeds, doesn't quite but is really unsightly. Am I deficient in some way?

I've asked several manicurists and they just look blankly at me. Tried a variety of nail hardeners / thickeners / protecting nourishing stuff - nothing works!

ygritte Wed 26-Nov-14 20:52:24

Is the skin around your cuticles always in good shape?
If there is any damage to the cuticle it shows up in the nail as it grows upwards.
Mine do this, admittedly when the cuticles are fine but especially if I've damaged the cuticle.
Am currently trying the nightly vaseline theory.

MegMogandOwlToo Wed 26-Nov-14 20:53:15

Could it be in a place that always gets knocked? My middle finger often does this, I worked out it was because I knocked it when opening a door! Must have been their odd handle.

shggg245 Wed 26-Nov-14 21:26:29

Mmm interesting I'll have a good go with nighttime vaseline therapy - dh says it sounds very kinky! I'm not the most graceful person but don't think I'm banging them - it's def a fault which 'grows' with the nail.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now