Talk

Advanced search

How to get big, scruffy waves

(56 Posts)
LackingCommonSense Tue 25-Nov-14 14:15:05

I'm contemplating cutting my currently boob length hair to shoulder length, but I want it to look something like these

uk.pinterest.com/pin/422282902534772062/
uk.pinterest.com/pin/422282902534772056/
uk.pinterest.com/pin/422282902534772044/

My hair is thick and naturally straight although I do straighten it because it looks a mess otherwise.

I'm a bit crap with doing anything other than straightening my hair or putting it up in a ponytail!

Does anyone have any tips for how to get waves like in the images, and how to keep them? TIA!

Fcukfifa Tue 25-Nov-14 14:22:24

My hair goes nearly exactly the same as the pics. After washing I put vo5 flexi mousse through my hair and dry with a bit of violume at the top.

Then I split my hair into two halves (think pigtail halves)

And starting at the back I use a curling tong, I'm not sure of the size maybe 1 inch? Just a medium sized one. I don't use the arm thing what holds your hair I just wrap the hair around the whole thing and hold the ends with my fingers.

And carry on round. I try to wrap my hair away from my face.

Once done I run my fingers through and rough it up then spray vo5 salt spray and tousle up a little more and done.

It sounds like a lot but it takes 20 min from starting to dry to finishing.

Fcukfifa Tue 25-Nov-14 14:25:46

Volume*

LackingCommonSense Tue 25-Nov-14 14:36:12

Thanks Fcukfifa grin

I suspect you've made this sound easier than it will be!

I'll invest in some mousse then. I actually have tongs as I wanted to try curling my hair myself before but gave up when I realised how much hair I had.

How long do you hold each bit around the tongs?

Fcukfifa Tue 25-Nov-14 17:26:22

Nooo it's really easy grin

I hold the curling tongs upside down so the barrel is facing down then just wind my hair round and hold my hair at the bottom. It makes it look more like waves and less like curls if you don't curl your hair right to the end.

Watch a few videos on youtube and you'll soon get the hang of it

desperatehousewife21 Tue 25-Nov-14 19:03:12

salt spray is your friend! I love it and can be used to give volume with a bit of blow dry.

LackingCommonSense Tue 25-Nov-14 21:04:39

Can you recommend a salt spray? I've never heard of it? I think I might have one of those beach hair effect sprays lying around somewhere if that's what you mean?

TrousersSchmowsers Tue 25-Nov-14 21:07:33

Isn't there something called something like the "big and bouncy" styling wand that everyone on here is always raving about?

Make your own salt spray! Add sea salt and a few drops of essential oil to cooled boiled water (if in hard water area) in a plant spray.

gingerbreadmam Tue 25-Nov-14 21:11:49

definitely invest in salt spray.

if you have ghds or similar straighteners you can use those too. section hair off into about 1 1/2 inch wide sections. starting at the top of your hair with ghds as if you were about to straighten it turn your hand 90° downwards whilst moving the straightener down the hair. then a little down the hair turn your hand 90° back the other way and continue this back and forth down the hair. do this to your full head then salt spray and seperate with fingers. its really quick.probs take 10mins max.

my description might not be very good think about doing a consaltina fold with a piece of paper,its kind of like that grin

gingerbreadmam Tue 25-Nov-14 21:13:02

i also have mark hill rock star waves curling tongs that can create similar waves and a mark hill wave thing with 3 prongs but that one creates too many waves i think.

WipsGlitter Tue 25-Nov-14 21:13:29

Babyliss big hair. Doesn't make your hair look like that though. It's more big bouncy waves.

gingerbreadmam Tue 25-Nov-14 21:15:01

http://m.boots.com/mt/www.boots.com/en/Mark-Hill-Salon-Professional-Rock-Chic-Wave-Wand_1281885/

attilathebun Tue 25-Nov-14 21:18:11

You could try doing curly girl method (search for the threads on here orgoogle it) - many people find it makes their hair curlier and more voluminous, so if your hair is straight you might get the desired effect with no effort!

Redtartanshoes Tue 25-Nov-14 21:21:01

Sock bun method. YouTube it. It will change your life grin

southeastastra Tue 25-Nov-14 21:22:55

the babyliss perfect curl would work you would have to blow the curl out but would work

hettie Tue 25-Nov-14 22:54:22

Do you have dead straight hair? Some times a few layers can help create a bit of wave

LackingCommonSense Wed 26-Nov-14 07:55:41

Thanks everyone grin I've got layers at the moment and I get a kink in my hair if I don't straighten it but it just looks messy sad

Will Google this sock thingie and that rock wand looks promising.. maybe I'll ask OH for Christmas..

zippyswife Wed 26-Nov-14 09:05:01

That's gorgeous! I think I might have to copy you! I've been looking for a new style lately.

I've got a short forehead, thick crazy frizzy hair and square face so not sure if I can pull it off though!

LackingCommonSense Thu 27-Nov-14 17:40:27

Well I didn't have much luck with my first attempt at a sock bun - took me several attempts to get it in and woke up this morning with it just wrapped around my bobble like a scrunchy! hmm Will try again with it split into pigtails!

Fcukfifa Thu 27-Nov-14 19:51:21

Haha I've had a couple of attempts with sock buns but my hair ends up in a weird mess the next day, all kind of squewiffyand kinked. I waved my hair with the tongs today and was going to take a pic for you but ended up rushing out!

IceRocket Thu 27-Nov-14 19:56:46

Curl with ghds or other straighteners and then straighten the ends. If you put batiste dry shampoo on first it's even better

LackingCommonSense Thu 27-Nov-14 20:43:40

I've tried curling with straightners but I can't do it sad Will try my tongs again if socks fail me! I have too much hair and not enough patience or skill(plus a toddler to contend with)...

Redtartanshoes Thu 27-Nov-14 20:48:53

Honestly sock bun is the way forward. My hair is thick, slightly wavy and down to bra strap.

Works best on unwashed hair (day after for me)
Any old sock, toe cut off.
Slightly damp hair
Wrap in sock
Leave overnight.
Next morning beautiful curls
Brush with tangle tease if too curly

melodycool Thu 27-Nov-14 21:08:45

Another vote for the sock bun here!
I have v thick long hair with layers.
When it's wet I sock bun it. I wear it like that for a day then the next day I open it to the most amazing curls ever, which gradually fall into waves smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now