Talk

Advanced search

Concealer, foundation, corrector - can someone explain?

(15 Posts)
Alsoflamingo Tue 25-Nov-14 09:39:42

I am a total klutz when it comes to make up. According to Bobbi Brown I gather you are supposed to use all 3 products. In which order? And what on earth is the difference between a concealer and a corrector??????

frankietwospots Tue 25-Nov-14 09:42:26

A corrector is usually a peachy shade and cancels out the blue/grey tones under your eyes. A concealer is then used on top to bring it all back to skin colour and to blend. A foundation is for the rest of your face. Personally, I apply foundation first with a brush (Real Techniques stippling brush) and then apply concealer around the eyes. I've just recommended Clarins Instant Concealer on another thread. It is just amazing!

Alsoflamingo Tue 25-Nov-14 09:54:22

Interested in that Clarins product - thanks! So if you use corrector as well as concealer it would go on first, is that right?

frankietwospots Tue 25-Nov-14 09:56:32

Corrector first, then concealer. I used to use both when I had Bobbi Brown products, but I find it takes up too much time when I have a small child asking me to play cars with him! The Clarins concealer is a time saver - I just squeeze a bit on my finger and dab it around my eyes. I am sooo pleased with it! It comes in three shades - 01, 02 and 03 - and I found 01 is fine for my relatively pale complexion.

southeastastra Tue 25-Nov-14 10:02:03

I got the Bobbi brown after s demo in store. I use it before concealer but sometimes just use it alone. I'd very good for minor blemishes and dark circles

SinglePringle Tue 25-Nov-14 10:14:17

I'm going to disagree here! Corrector - as per PP - should be used first but can be a variety of colours depending on what you want to achieve (reducing redness / lifting a sallow completion etc). It can be combined with a primer (look at the Smashbox website) to reduce the appearence of pores, smooth fine lines etc. Will also help your foundation to 'hold'.

Foundation is then used - evens skin tone, reduces the appearence of pigmentation. Can be tinted moisturiser, full coverage, medium or light coverage, BB cream etc.

Concealer is applied last (in smaller quantities) to cover blemishes and around patches of, say, red skin that's showing through the foundation (around nose for me). You can also use it to reduce the appearence of dark circles under the eyes or you can use a separate light reflective 'pen' here.

If you put concealer on first, you'll 'shift' it when you apply the foundation.

I do concealing last - after eyes, blusher etc - as this allows the foundation to sink in and set, meaning you'll really see where you need extra coverage.

I've spent a lot of time in the company of make up artists and this is what they advise. Also, Google Lisa Eldridge - her website is brilliant for basics and more adventurous looks.

frankietwospots Tue 25-Nov-14 10:24:41

That's what I do - I apply foundation first and then concealer aftewards. However I would never apply concealer after eye make-up, especially mascara. I think of it as my base before applying my eye make-up. I follow Sali Hughes's method here: www.salihughesbeauty.com/videos/clarins-10-minute-makeover/

Each to their own I guess.

Alsoflamingo Tue 25-Nov-14 10:26:36

Thank you so much for links to excellent video demonstrations. Just what I need.

SuperFlyHigh Tue 25-Nov-14 11:25:08

ok - here goes:-

I personally think that unless you really need it (eg for redness or sallowness) you don't really need a corrector...

concealor - well for spots/redness you need a proper concealor no light reflection. what is similar but used under eyes is more light reflecting like Clinique Air Flash or YSL Touche Eclat - if you use these on spots etc you'll highlight them which you don't want to do!

Foundation - not all are made equal - you can get glowy/light reflecting ones or more matt ones or full coverage.

I tend to apply concealor first then foundation (not on top of it) afterwards.

SuperFlyHigh Tue 25-Nov-14 11:28:03

SinglePringle that's good advice!

My brother works with film/photographers and makeup artists but I never ask their advice when I see them... me bad!

AWombWithoutAFoof Tue 25-Nov-14 11:37:04

Can I just crash in here and ask how essential a brush is for foundation application? Maybe I'm just not using it right, but I get smoother coverage (albeit not so heavy) with my fingers.

SuperFlyHigh Tue 25-Nov-14 11:48:40

AWomb

It depends - for me I prefer fingers (hate sponges) but have a foundation brush at home (never used it).

I am same as you - I get far better application with my fingers!

frankietwospots Tue 25-Nov-14 13:01:04

I think for me I wasn't getting the even coverage I wanted just using my fingers. Plus with redness around my nose and shadows under my eyes, I wanted a smoother and more even finish. Using the stippling brush was a bit of a revelation for me and I find it just as easy as using my fingers. I guess it depends on what your skin is like and whether you need the coverage that a brush can give. If you only need to dot foundation here and there, then you're probably fine with fingers. If like me you need a mask (!), then brush is the way to go!

Alsoflamingo Tue 25-Nov-14 13:30:13

I always find Touche Eclat makes under eye shadows worse .I know it's supposed to help, but seems to just draw attention to them. That is the main area I want to correct and I don't seem to have nailed it yet….

SuperFlyHigh Tue 25-Nov-14 13:38:21

OP - Touche Eclat isn't a super hero (not for me, I used to use it) Clinique Air Brush is much better.

Also you're supposed to apply into the areas that need it (the bags?), too much apparently makes you look like a panda.

Navy mascara/eyeliner is good at making eyes less tired.

I'd also look at luminous stuff - try to get people to try it on you, I splurged on a Clarins product and it was pants...

Luminizing is good as it bounces light onto/off etc areas you want to detract/draw attention to (forget which way round).

Also lipsticks can really help I've been told I really suit red... I don't wear it much but get compliments when I do. Red bit too much for a wedding though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now