Talk

Advanced search

How would you style this outfit? Mince pie for anyone who can help!

(19 Posts)
NotTodaySatan Tue 25-Nov-14 09:19:36

I have just bought this skirt and this top and I love both smile.

The problem is that I am hopeless at accessorizing and always end up going OTT and wearing the wrong shoes or tights or too much jewelry hmm.

I want to look retro and classy. Something like this.

Are bare legs ok in the depths of winter with a midi skirt? I need black shoes I think? Black opaques don't look right with black shoes do they?

Oh and I can't wear high heels unless they have some sort of strap holding my foot in. So I wear a lot of t-bar and Mary Jane styles. Mid heels are fine though.

Anyone??

frankietwospots Tue 25-Nov-14 09:45:56

Gorgeous skirt and top! I think black opaques are fine with black shoes, but if you want to show a bit of flesh, then how about some nude fishnets? I think Tightsplease do some micronet nude tights although they are always out of stock when I go to look for them. Personally I think some black glittery Mary Jane shoes would look amazing. Something like this in the black multi glitter: www.boden.co.uk/en-GB/Womens-Shoes-Boots/Heels/AR645/Womens-Mary-Jane.html?NavGroupID=11&newpage=true

NotTodaySatan Tue 25-Nov-14 10:57:04

Thanks Frankie <<hands out mince pie, extra cream>>

I really like those shoes but they're a bit over budget now that I've splurged on the outfit sad.

I'm thinking maybe some velvet or suede black shoes might be good. I like the idea of fishnets but in reality I always feel a bit awkward in them, even the nude ones.

frankietwospots Tue 25-Nov-14 11:01:51

Yum yum - my first mince pie!

Yes, velvet or suede black shoes would look lovely too. It's a very opulent look so you can afford to play with textures. I know what you mean about fishnets - they feel a bit 'hooker' - and for me, they take me back to my goth days!

NotTodaySatan Tue 25-Nov-14 11:12:08

Haha that's what I meant but didn't want to say. They are a tad 'lady of the night' grin .

Opulent is good. That's what I thought too. I never wear skirts so this is a departure for me.

Off to search for shoes!

ItsNotUnusualToBe Tue 25-Nov-14 11:25:32

m.direct.asda.com/george/womens/shoes-boots/embellished-toe-t-bar-shoes/G004836967,default,pd.html

m.newlook.com/shop/shoe-gallery/view-all-wide-fit/wide-fit-black-t-bar-strap-glitter-heels-_324674001

www.tesco.com/direct/emilio-luca-x-ladies-queen-dancer-navy-peep-toe-heeled-shoes/401-9957.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=373-2563

www.clothingattesco.com/shoes+boots/f+f-croc-effect-panel-two-part-court-shoes/invt/bk422139

www.clothingattesco.com/shoes+boots/f+f-patent-ankle-strap-court-shoes/invt/bk422145

Apologies for so many links

Lovely outfit.

SuperFlyHigh Tue 25-Nov-14 11:32:43

with the top I'd say you really don't need much in the way of necklaces...

Maybe a green (in skirt colour) or teal/peacock blue accessory to contrast.

Fishnets (fine ones) can look very nice actually.... and if worn with boots even better. But boots would ruin that skirt.

You could also totally go with the Bardot top you linked to (a number of stores doing them now, cheap ones too).

I think maybe the decoration on the top is too much for the skirt.... but that's me!

Shoes - I've got no idea...

NotTodaySatan Tue 25-Nov-14 13:44:21

SuperFly I really want a slim fitting Bardot jumper as well but all the ones I've found are either too short, too off the shoulder or of too thin material.

I don't think the embellishment on the top is too much with the skirt. I do agree about no necklace though. I'll probably keep jewelry to a minimum.

Unusual Thank you for all the links. Off to peruse smile .

SuperFlyHigh Tue 25-Nov-14 14:00:09

NotToday - I've only seen them around not tried one on...

reminds me of when they were last in, I think early 1990s.

yes I think if you try it on with the skirt (the top) it'll be fine. I think a really great brooch or bracelet or earrings could really work instead of a necklace. or cocktail ring.

NotTodaySatan Tue 25-Nov-14 14:57:49

I remember them from the 90's too. Although mine were bodysuits rather than tops. Even more cringey!

I've just ordered a couple of black Bardot tops. Will see how they look.

I also ordered this. I think it'll look good with the skirt and with jeans.

SuperFlyHigh Tue 25-Nov-14 18:29:13

The striped top is nice.

I think I just had Bardot style tops no poppers (bodysuits) I don't think they'd go with 28ff norks now though!

WildBillfemale Wed 26-Nov-14 07:20:29

Lovely skirt and top, You have colour, shine, sheer and sparkle already with the skirt and top alone so I would keep accessories really simple so they don't compete. I was going to say Fine black suede high courts but you can't wear these so I'd look for a pair of fine black suede shoes that you can. Think elegant/evening wear though not clumpy day wear.

I would definitely go bare legged - use make up if you need, (opaques are too heavy for the outfit and fishnets would compete).

A simple clutch bag and drop earrings should be all you need, no necklace as it would again compete with the clothes.

SuperFlyHigh Wed 26-Nov-14 10:00:17

Just thought going on from WildBill says, it's probably too cold to go bare legged and faffing around with leg makeup/fake tan isn't great either.

Look in a decent department store (or Primark) for nude tights with a slight sheen/sparkle to them.

these but in nude:-

www.aristoc.com/products/Aristoc-Ultimate/20-Denier-Ultimate-Satin-Tights/Black

M&S same sort of tights

www.marksandspencer.com/15-denier-sheer-shine-tights-3-pack-pair/p/p20041470

Twinklestein Wed 26-Nov-14 10:46:24

Definitely not bare legs in the winter you'll look like you're on the lash in Cardiff.

As you're on a budget - price in descending order:

Kurt Geiger 1

Kurt Geiger 2

Asda

SuperFlyHigh Wed 26-Nov-14 11:44:09

So many glam mums here (*Twinklestein*).

so do you have any experiences of winter in Cardiff?! I always thought it was Newcastle girls who went out dressed in winter as for summer! grin

NotTodaySatan Wed 26-Nov-14 11:47:48

Ta all smile .

I've bought the Asda shoes Twinkle. They look lovely and, more importantly, not too high to walk in.

I'm still not sure on which type of tights to go for. I feel like opaques would be too blocky and patterned ones would be too busy. Argghh!

Twinklestein Wed 26-Nov-14 13:11:07

Cardiff in winter, yes unfortunately, never again.

OP I would go for nudes with a glossy sheen. Aristoc do some good value ones for £6.

SuperFlyHigh Wed 26-Nov-14 13:40:31

Twinklestein Cardiff sounds painful!

OP yes tights like me and Twinklestein suggested. Anything else will compete with the pattern on the top or fabric of skirt.

Nude fishnets (Primark used to do them) could work....

nilbyname Wed 26-Nov-14 13:44:21

I would wear black super glossy 15 denier tights.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now