Talk

Advanced search

Perfume suggestions please

(6 Posts)
JudyA Mon 24-Nov-14 19:30:49

I haven't worn perfume for years, but fancy smelling fragrant for once. But I haven't got a very discriminating nose and get confused after smelling a couple of the hundreds of perfumes out there! A lot of them smell like cat pee on me, too, which isn't the sort of fragrance I had in mind.

I used to wear Obsession, but I wonder if that's a bit heavy and OTT, even for evenings? I also used to wear Miss Dior. I tried a squirt of the perfume this weekend and loved it once it had warmed up, but it doesn't seem that strong on me... I had to stick my nose up my sleeve to appreciate it.

So, can anyone recommend a perfume that is like Obsession but lighter, or Miss Dior but stronger, please?

I also love the smell of Sanctuary Mande Lular body products, so if anyone knows a perfume that smells like that....

Thank you smile

Fabulassie Mon 24-Nov-14 23:12:32

Try posting your question in the Perfume Lovers thread. And, you may want to specify where you're willing to go and buy the stuff: some of those enthusiasts seek out some scarce scents that aren't available at Boots or Debenhams.

You can go to a large-ish Boots and ask the sales assistant to suggest a couple of things. Smell no more than three cards (have her spritz a card, not you) and then pick one to spray on and see how it wears on you. You may take a few visits to pick one.

I don't think Obsession is too full-on, by the way. Just put it on lightly and you're good to go.

FrugalFashionista Tue 25-Nov-14 10:56:46

Judy, welcome on the perfumistas thread! Obsession is a classic prototypic oriental, very very potent, difficult to match. Random suggestions - Coco or Coromandel from Chanel, Ambre Sultan (Serge Lutens), Eau Lente (Diptyque), Shalimar or its seasonal Ode a la vanille flankers; from the gourmand side try Candy from Prada and Angel (sweeter). A lovely woody incense oriental that always knocks my socks off is L'Air du Desert Marocain from Tauer (online or at Les Senteurs). Youth Dew and Cinnabar from Estee Lauder and Tobacco Vanille from Tom Ford are also worth trying.

yazzy85 Tue 25-Nov-14 11:56:36

I'm liking Dior Addict at the moment, it's quite strong and long lasting but one squirt is more than enough during the day.

JudyA Tue 25-Nov-14 14:12:42

Oh brilliant, thanks for the suggestions! Fabulassie, I'll have to hunt down that thread - though I think FrugalFashionista & yazy85 have given me enough suggestions to keep me going for a fair time. Chances of getting perfume on my Xmas list are a bit small now!

Fabulassie Tue 25-Nov-14 14:30:26

I agree with the recommendation to check out Coco. It's more subtle than Obsession but still very warm and oriental.

You may want to give Opium a whirl, too. It's much spicier than Opium and you may find it too much, but I love it. (When I was 13 or so I got some stuff at the drugstore called "Ninja." "If you like Opium or Cinnabar, you'll LOVE Ninja!" was the tagline. I thought it smelled amazing then (and had never heard of Opium or Cinnabar.)

By the way, check out Youth Dew, as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now