Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I want a knockout Joan Holloway worthy dress. Help!

(16 Posts)
NotTodaySatan Sun 23-Nov-14 20:55:56

I want a dress. Budget is up to £150.

I love retro inspired 40's and 50's shapes. Classy and elegant but also sexy and I'm not averse to flashing a lot bit of cleavage grin .

I don't like Lady V, Hell Bunny and other such brands. I find them a bit tacky and a bit ubiquitous.

I am a size 12-14 at the minute but am planning getting to a 12 and hopefully staying at that size.

I have a vaguely hourglass figure. 40-32-41.

I love the 20th Century Foxy Mansfield but already own a slew of LBDs.

I also like the Tara Starlet Marina but it is backless and also looks a bit underwhelming on bloggers etc (seems to look better on the site).

I've just found this one

What do we think? I would prefer plain to pattern but quite like the colours.

Colour preferences are dark green, midnight blue, dark red, maybe purple. Black fine too. I am pale and have dark + silver hair.

Has anyone seen a nice 50's-esque frock on their travels??

grumblepuss Sun 23-Nov-14 21:29:46

I love a bit of Joan. I tried this on and it gave me curves. I'm not curvy, I'm straight up and down. www.phase-eight.com/fcp/product/phase-eight/dresses/tabby-textured-dress/202791351

NotTodaySatan Sun 23-Nov-14 21:50:41

Thanks for replying grumble smile .

Love that but it's a wee bit more work-y than I'm after. Looks super flattering though.

tethersend Sun 23-Nov-14 22:36:01

any good?

aniceearlynight Sun 23-Nov-14 22:45:15

The bombshell by Katya Wildman is amazing. Most flattering dress I own. Most of them are more than £150 full price, but there are always some in the sale: www.bombshellbykatyawildman.com/productDetails.php?ProductID=954

NotTodaySatan Sun 23-Nov-14 22:51:35

tether love the shape and the colour. Not keen on the paisley print.

Think I'd prefer 3/4 or long sleeves too. I have so many short and cap sleeve dresses.

anice that's really nice. I think it may be a but long for me though. I'm a shortarse grin .

FruitBasedDrinkForALady Sun 23-Nov-14 23:01:02

Have you looked at Vivienne of Holloway . I was raging when SIL and her bf broke up, I had my eye on a dress for the wedding I'd planned...

BigPawsBrown Sun 23-Nov-14 23:03:30

Joan actually wears quite bodycon shapes, lots of sweetheart necks but not very 50s shapes (the typical 50s shape would be mid calf, tight on bodice and loose hooped skirt). I don't personally think the 50s shape flatters many because they tend to cover up great legs, which most people have even if more self conscious about stomach etc. could you go for a more slimline look?

SWIMTHECHANNEL Mon 24-Nov-14 06:36:58

Have a look at Whirling Turban, though pricey.

MrsJamin Mon 24-Nov-14 06:40:53

You need to look at https://www.getcutie.co.uk/! Gorgeous prints, cut to shapely figures.

MrsJamin Mon 24-Nov-14 06:41:57

Sorry the ! Was added to the url, link is https://www.getcutie.co.uk/

CallingAllEngels Mon 24-Nov-14 07:10:43

I don't live in the UK but my go to retro website is www.topvintage.nl

Could give you some mores ideas for brand/style (most are imported from the UK or US anyway).

mimiasovitch Mon 24-Nov-14 07:40:36

This is very Joan. Other colours available too.

mimiasovitch Mon 24-Nov-14 07:42:52

Sorry - just noticed I was over budget. I like the limb dress, but I would say (owning a few of them) that the fabric is a medium weight cotton, and a bit less dressy because of it.

doineedhelp Mon 24-Nov-14 13:14:09

I actually have that dress and it is stunning, really fab fit, good cleavage and i got loads of compliments when wearing it... I am a size 14 apple at present and it actually gives me a shape so would be fab on an hourglass figure smile

thalassa Mon 24-Nov-14 13:41:10

Collectif

Sorted smile
https://www.collectif.co.uk/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now