Talk

Advanced search

What nail polish colour are you planning for Christmas?

(35 Posts)
70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 23-Nov-14 20:39:27

Make me jealous, my nails are rubbish.
I'm toying with false nails but I'm worried I won't be able to do things or I'll lose one (I'm cooking, that wold be nasty grin )

I will perservere with my own nails, they won't be long but I can shape them nicely and go for a short and chic look .

I really really covet a shimmery red ( OPI Rosy Fingers and Mistletoes I think it's called but I have a bottle of 'Waitress' already so it seems daft to duplicate)

So indulge me. What'cha wearing?
I bet alot of you won't be in festive red, mmm ?

bonhomme Sun 23-Nov-14 20:45:30

this one

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=revlon+spider+polish+red&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=955&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=QEdyVKC_O8ffOOL4gOgB&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=JxFcO-A55Rp_CM%253A%3BwsVT66zoxzb78M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252F3.bp.blogspot.com%252F-Ea6U_tJaY5I%252FUzOgJkVFT0I%252FAAAAAAAAVy8%252FiiBF1qv9ukg%252Fs1600%252Frevlon%252Bspidey%252Bsense.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fxxxbeautyredefinedxxx.blogspot.com%252F2014%252F03%252Frevlon-electric-chrome-spider-man.html%3B700%3B528

mysteryfairy Sun 23-Nov-14 21:08:27

Got two more nail appointments between now and Xmas. I have gelish colours and am planning naughty list - glittery black - for the first half of December and then a glittery deep red over xmas, probably berry merry holidays. Predictable but fun!

NoelleHawthorne Sun 23-Nov-14 21:09:22

OOH I was looking for a pure silver foil colour with no pearl to it

I FOUND IT at Barry M www.barrym.com/products/nails/effects/instant-nail-effects-foil.html

applecrumbleandcream Sun 23-Nov-14 22:30:32

There is a lovely deep red Nails Inc nail varnish with this month's Glamour mag and it's only £2....I got it today but choose the grieve shade. I think the other was a purple shade. The red looked very nice though.

applecrumbleandcream Sun 23-Nov-14 22:31:07

Sorry meant griege shade grin

OneLittleLady Sun 23-Nov-14 22:35:20

I've got a nails inc red glitter polish I might wear at some point over christmas and a nails inc silver that will probably get an airing. Gold does nothing for me so I will avoid that

applecrumbleandcream Sun 23-Nov-14 22:38:23

Hate trying to get the glitter nail varnish off.... totally puts me off them

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sun 23-Nov-14 23:00:09

Oh I'm not sure. I have every color, so I'll decide on Christmas morning or when I choose my Christmas dress.
Y.Y about the glitter Apple. It's a P.I.T.A to get off.

SteveBrucesNose Mon 24-Nov-14 08:25:05

Chanel 'Pirate'. Its a lovely deep red

NoelleHawthorne Mon 24-Nov-14 08:26:30

Chrustmas dress. Wtaf

southeastastra Mon 24-Nov-14 09:55:09

a dress you wear on Christmas day ? grin I have s lovely toffee apple red from leighton d

ShelaghTurner Mon 24-Nov-14 09:57:18

China Glaze Ruby Slippers. With a covering of Essie As Gold as it Gets for extra sparkle if necessary.

Lifesalemon Mon 24-Nov-14 14:44:55

Do people really have the time to plan the colour of their nails a month in advance? Looking at the replies I guess they must. confused

CointreauVersial Mon 24-Nov-14 15:31:13

I haven't exactly planned it, but will hopefully wheel out something suitably festive.

I have a bright red Kate Spade for Nails Inc varnish (which I think was a Glamour freebie from last year) which has gorgeous coverage. Or alternatively a nice metallic gold from Barry M.

Of course, I'll probably run out of time to paint my nails, what with all the sprout peeling and present wrapping...

ShelaghTurner Mon 24-Nov-14 15:48:04

Yep. I do nothing else for the 364 days, 23 hours and 55 minutes left over from planning my festive nail varnish colour. I'm fat so don't get any joy out of planning Christmas day or party clothes. Nails is where it's at for me.

rubyflipper Mon 24-Nov-14 15:50:15

I think I'll be original and go for deep red over Christmas grin

EddieVeddersfoxymop Mon 24-Nov-14 15:53:01

LeChat mood gel in scarlet stars. It's a gel polish that changed colour from the pillar box red to purpley black all with glitter. But not everyone goes for gel polish! I also love OPI "peace love and OPI" with barry m foil effects in silver stamped in a swirly pattern over the top.

You can get peel off basecoats for glitter polishes now, MUA and OPI do them. I've got the MUA one, it certainly works, but you have to be very careful not to chip them or the whole thing comes off, I've used it about 4x so far and barely made it past 24 hours, but great for a night out. I'm going to try really sealing the edge with topcoat next time.

A word of warning though, I often wear an opaque in a similar shade under the glitter to make a more solid appearance, did it last week with turquoise and turquoise glitter, when they peeled off my nails were all stained green, it doesn't protect like normal basecoat. Remover didn't work either, I had to buff them all clean. I might try a normal basecoat first next time.

I'll probably do a deep red glitter for Christmas Day, I've got a nice Essie one.

Butwhereto Mon 24-Nov-14 16:01:59

Am not a nails person normally (nor a glitter one) but just bought 2 bottles of different Barry m glitter polishes whilst waiting in a queue at boots...is it a nightmare to get off? Does normal remover work?

It is a pain to get off, normal remover will do it, but we're talking a lot of scrubbing compared to normal polish, takes maybe 10 minutes and a lot of cotton wool and remover. I still love it though.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Mon 24-Nov-14 20:49:49

lifesalemon I'm desperately trying to grow my nails (but a combination of vinyl gloves, NHS soap and 40+ times a day handwashing takes it's toll )

If I can do, I'm leching after shimmer reds (especially if it's OPI, they sell out) I need to buy it soon. But......................
I broke 2 nails today <<sob>> so that's scuppered.

Guitargirl Mon 24-Nov-14 20:55:00

I have bought a red glittery one and a clear sparkly one from top shop <classy>. The clear sparkly one is going on next week. This is the first year I have not been absolutely manic at work in December and have time enough to think about things like nails. And I am making the most of it!

Botanicbaby Mon 24-Nov-14 20:58:46

the best thing for removing glitter nail polish is the Bourjois pink pot of remover (there is a sponge in the jar and you stick your finger in, wait a few minutes and its gone!)

(the only downside to it is if you have short fingers I find its better suited to those with lovely slender ones) grin

PS think I am going to go with a Winter White look this year now that we are thinking about it!

I tried that Bourjois pot a couple of years ago and found it to be next to useless! Not sure if I tried it with glitter, but I threw it away after a couple of uses and remember being glad it was the "free" thing in a 3 for 2. Maybe they've improved the formulation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now