Talk

Advanced search

Winter day dresses

(9 Posts)
Sunmakesmesmile Sat 22-Nov-14 21:00:38

I'm so bored of wearing jeans and various styles of knitwear everyday, I'd love to wear dresses or skirts but I'm finding it hard to pin down the right style/tone for my lifestyle. I'm a sahm, no longer bf, but still have sticky fingers to consider. I've seen women wearing fab printed silky (but probably viscose!) type shirt/tea dresses with opaques and ankle boots which look great. Has anyone seen anything which fits that bill? I'm normally in whistles/jigsaw/gap etc. 5ft 9 so nothing too short size 8 usually. I'm guessing dresses are easier than skirts, but any suggestions greatly appreciated. Many thanks

VoyagesOfAStarship Sat 22-Nov-14 21:47:16

You can often get those types of dresses at new look, that's one place to start. Jigsaw, toast, white stuff and joules may also have what you want - it a good idea to look online using google shopping or amazon. As they will make suggestions for similar items so you can just keep browsing until you see one you like. Also look on eBay as you get all the past season stuff too.

Often they are a bit short though (I'm 5'10") - this is less of a problem in the posher shops.

MrsBertMacklin Sat 22-Nov-14 22:00:16

I really like jumper dresses with ribbed tights and a blazer or short coat.

www.toa.st/product/archive+winter+sale/C1AZH/SILK+TRIM+KNIT+DRESS.htm?categoryref=%2fcategory.aspx%3fcategoryid%3darchive%2520winter%2520sale%26seoterm%3darchive%26&pcat=archive+winter+sale&adimage=&clr=C1AZH_teal

www.toa.st/product/archive+winter+sale/C1CKQ/Fisherman+Rib+Dress.htm?categoryref=%2fcategory.aspx%3fcategoryid%3darchive%2520winter%2520sale%26seoterm%3darchive%26&pcat=archive+winter+sale&adimage=&clr=C1CKQ_primrose

CoconutAmericano Sat 22-Nov-14 22:00:22

Im 5'9" and a sahm mum too. I wear a lot of Cos wool dresss because they're comfortable, wash well and aren't too short.

Sunmakesmesmile Sat 22-Nov-14 22:05:28

I love that second jumper dress from Toast in navy, may have to order it! Fab, will also check out the other suggestions.

I like the look of Cos, but there isn't a store anywhere near me. I gather it's a shop you need to have a good try on in?

LouiseBrooks Sat 22-Nov-14 22:08:53

What about this? I bought this recently and I'm nowhere near as thin as you (I am envious....) but a couple of inches shorter and it looks pretty good so I'm sure it would look fabulous on you. It's not too hot but warm enough

uk.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/mon_1,mon_1.2/6431532418

LouiseBrooks Sat 22-Nov-14 22:09:51

I just realised size 8 is out of stock but you might get it if you visited your nearest shop

beanandspud Sat 22-Nov-14 22:11:00

I've just ordered this dress in the hope that it will look ok with opaques and boots.

CoconutAmericano Sat 22-Nov-14 22:45:43

Yes sunmakesmesmile their sizing is all over the place unfortunately which makes online shopping tricky. It's a shame really. I have a huge branch near me and live in their knitted dresses

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now