Talk

Advanced search

Is there anything I can do with dd's curly hair?

(10 Posts)
octopal Sat 22-Nov-14 17:42:42

DD is 6 and has long curly hair. Mine is absolutely poker straight so I am a bit clueless about curls although I have been reading up a bit.

The main problem is the top layer - the bit you see. The underneath is in good condition and has lovely defined curls but the outer layer is straighter and quite frizzy.

She loves wearing a bun or plait to school and I have been using this brush denman when tying it up and I think that is why it is so non-curly and fuzzy on top.

Is there anything I can do to restore the curl and also when tying up her hair (when dry) what is the best thing to use?

Thanks

FaFoutis Sat 22-Nov-14 17:46:12

Don't brush it. Mine is curly and I only brush it before I wash it.

Use some sort of curl cream on it when it is damp and it won't go fuzzy when dry.

CurlyWurlyCake Sat 22-Nov-14 17:49:15

Make sure she has a good cut which will help lift the curl.

I wouldn't brush it at all when dry, use a spray bottle with some conditioner and water in it to dampen the hair slightly before putting up.

I brush mine and DDs hair with my fingers in the shower and then let her hair dry naturally with some frizz eaze on it whilst I defused dry my hair.

Lush do a lovely hair mask which really separates the curls.

FourthMary Sat 22-Nov-14 17:49:26

Using a spray leave in conditioner should minimise the frizz.

octopal Sat 22-Nov-14 17:49:39

Great thanks. How do I neaten it to tie it up though? I only know how to tie up hair by brushing it tightly into a pony tail first grin

Swifey Sat 22-Nov-14 17:58:54

I definitely second the not brushing it when dry, I'm in my thirties and only ever brush my hair, with a wide toothed comb, when wet, and then leave to dry. An exceptionally small amount of serum rubbed into your hands and just run through the top will help the curl return. When I tie my hair up, I just gently run my finger through it, but try not to separate it too much, that's what causes the frizz!!

FaFoutis Sat 22-Nov-14 18:00:33

I would just pull it back, anything that breaks up the curl creates frizz.

Curly hair is not generally neat. I think it looks better in a bun type thing (twist it up and clip) than a pony tail.

soaccidentprone Sat 22-Nov-14 18:13:18

Never brush. It just makes it go frizzy.

Wash, use your fingers to run through it while it's still damp. Maybe use a curl defining cream, then either leave to air dry, or do the following;

Take a very fine towel - almost threadbare. Put it on the floor. Get your dd to knee in front of it, then lower he hair onto it. Take the two side corners, 2 in each hand to fold the towel in 1/2 lengthways, then twist each side a couple of times, then tie round the head like a turban. You may need to google the curly girl method. Leave for about 1/2 hr, and the heat from her head should dry it.

To put in a pony tail etc, just use your fingers to pull the hair back gently, then pop a band around it.

You have to treat curly hair very gently.

octopal Sat 22-Nov-14 18:15:25

Thanks everyone. Lots of great tips here. We only wash hair once a week as it is very dry so will try the tips tomorrow evening.

I'm a bit disappointed that I seem to have ruined her lovely hair. With gentle treatment do you think the curl will return over time?

soaccidentprone Sat 22-Nov-14 21:09:23

Yes, the curl will return. Just treat her hair gently and it will be fine smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now