Talk

Advanced search

Help me fashion savvy folk!

(3 Posts)
Scully2014 Fri 21-Nov-14 19:25:20

Hi there,

I'm not sure whether this is the right place to post this or not, but anyway: I've been tearing my hair out trying to find a specific dress for my girlfriend for Christmas. Sadly the dress in question is sold out and I can't find it ANYWHERE, so I thought a good alternative would be to go to a dressmaker and see if they could design and make something similar; the only thing I worry about is that my GF is trying to lose weight, and I'd hate to get her something in the wrong size that would make her uncomfortable (physically and emotionally!). I thought a nice alternative would be to ask a tailor/designer to make/customise a blazer in similar pattern/style, as she loves blazers/jackets and that might be a bit more flexible than a dress, which I know she'd want to try on herself (and thus ruin the surprise!)

So, I have two questions: first, is this a terrible idea in general!? And does anyone have any idea about who I could ask to design/make a jacket? I live in London, so if anyone has any tips about services/people they've used, or general recommendations, that would be so useful. I'm rather useless at all this I'm afraid!

So sorry if this is the wrong place to make this thread - I just want to make my GF's Christmas as nice as possible. She's had a hard time recently so I want to get her something special!

This is the dress in question: www.lyst.com/clothing/roland-mouret-makrana-leopard-print-dress-blkwhitegreen/

And really, it's not as much the made-to-measure tailoring service that's after - ultimately I just want to be able to find someone who can help design/customise something with a similar pattern/design/fabric.

Thanks all

x

burnishedsilver Sat 22-Nov-14 19:23:07

It's a lovely idea to have something made.
I suspect that a dress similar to the one she wants wouldn't adequately substitute for the actual dress. The jacket would be a better idea.

Another idea would be a bag or shoes....they are a good bet when trying to lose weight as they always fit.

Scully2014 Sun 23-Nov-14 14:58:06

Thanks, that's what I thought! Who would I go to to ask? A tailor? I'm very clueless about all of this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now