Talk

Advanced search

Is it ok to wear a floor length dress to a wedding (as a guest)

(39 Posts)
Flo99Ora Fri 21-Nov-14 13:50:42

I am invited to a wedding over Christmas. I have a stunning floor length red dress which cost £250 (was a gift) and have never had the chance to wear. Seems such a shame and I was thinking perhaps I could wear it to the Christmas wedding?

I have checked with a bridesmaid and the bride is wearing a traditional big white dress and the bridesmaids are in blue so I won't look like I am trying to be in the bridal party iykwim.

But I am still a bit self-conscious about wearing such a show-stopper dress as I normally wear something really boring that blends into the crowd!

notyummy Fri 21-Nov-14 13:53:08

I would say yes to a festive wedding. Might not work in spring or summer but quite appropriate in winter! Have a wrap etc to help cover up if you feel self conscious? I went to a feb wedding this year btw and there were of a number of ladies in full length. They were the minority but not in a bad way!

Leviticus Fri 21-Nov-14 13:54:18

I have (summer maxi dress) and it turned out it WAS the same colour as the bridesmaids blush.

Go for it. The fact it's a Christmas wedding will help you pull it off.

Viviennemary Fri 21-Nov-14 13:56:06

I'd say that it wasn't really appropriate to wear a show stopper dress if you're not the bride or bridesmaid.

lambbone Fri 21-Nov-14 13:56:26

Can we see it? It sounds lovely!

Thumbwitch Fri 21-Nov-14 13:59:07

I have done so, and it wasn't a maxi dress, nor the same colour as the BMs; but it didn't do any showstopping because quite frankly no one was looking at me, they were all far more interested in the bridal party!

HeartHasShattered Fri 21-Nov-14 13:59:08

I don't think floor length is a problem, but show stopping probably is. The only really amazing dress at the wedding should be the brides.

kaymondo Fri 21-Nov-14 13:59:51

Depends on the style of the dress I think. Lots of people wear maxi dresses to summer weddings but they are more day-to-evening dresses. I personally wouldn't wear a full length evening dress to an all day wedding event.

Flo99Ora Fri 21-Nov-14 14:05:11

It's the Ghost 'Diana' dress in red
Not sure how to link on my phone

Thumbwitch Fri 21-Nov-14 14:09:04

www.johnlewis.com/ghost-diana-dress/p1389220?navAction=jump

Thumbwitch Fri 21-Nov-14 14:09:40

Oops, pressed post too soon - Hmmmmm. It's a very beautiful dress but I would say with all the lacework that it looks too much like a red wedding dress and I wouldn't do it, sorry.

ireallydontlikemonday Fri 21-Nov-14 14:10:30

It's beautiful but I would be inclined to cover up the top half somehow for the ceremony, the top is very evening dress. What time is the wedding? It would work if it was in America where the dress code is often black tie and weddings are in the evening.

Leviticus Fri 21-Nov-14 14:11:53

I was going to say the opposite - that it's a nice simple line without embellishment so not OTT.

It's lovely.

Imnotaslimjim Fri 21-Nov-14 14:12:48

I'd wear it but agree with Monday. If its a day wedding, cover the top half if possible. Maybe a white fluffy bolero?

RoganJosh Fri 21-Nov-14 14:13:23

I think it's lovely and absolutely fine.

superram Fri 21-Nov-14 14:18:38

I would have liked it if you wore it to my wedding. Go for it, maybe with a shrug for earlier inthe day?

Hoggle246 Fri 21-Nov-14 14:23:06

Lovely dress! I think you will get away with this IMO - yes lace is quite bridal but seeing as it's Christmas I'd imagine it wouldn't look out of place on a guest. BUT do you know a lot of people going? I'm asking because it would be useful for you to get a sense of what effort other people will be going to. If it's quite a glam crowd this dress will be perfect, if it's more understated then you might stick out a bit - so if that's not your style you wouldn't want to spend the day feeling uncomfortable.
Anyway, hope you get to wear the dress, it's beautiful!

StardustGirl Fri 21-Nov-14 14:23:22

I'm not sure If it's okay for wedding... Anyway it's a lovely dress in marvelous colour!

MehsMum Fri 21-Nov-14 14:32:15

Oh, go for it: it looks gorgeous.

I wore a long dress to a wedding - but I was one of the minority not swishing elegantly about in a sari!

Flo99Ora Fri 21-Nov-14 14:38:39

Thanks all, will have a think and ask around other guests

happygirl87 Fri 21-Nov-14 14:44:22

Yes yes do! I'm getting married on Dec 20th, and would hate it if a guest felt they couldn't. If it's mine you're coming to then don't worry grin

notyummy Fri 21-Nov-14 14:48:54

Oh how beautiful! I hope you do wear it. I always think it's a real compliment to the couple when people really make an effort for a wedding. (Unless they have been told it's casual or they are parading around in layers of white tulle of course!)

dannydyerismydad Fri 21-Nov-14 14:52:17

Its beautiful. I love people making a big effort for weddings. I'd be delighted if you wore something like that to my wedding.

slithytove Fri 21-Nov-14 14:52:32

Most women wore floor length dresses to my 4pm Christmas wedding

slithytove Fri 21-Nov-14 14:53:31

I think that dress is fine!

Maybe a black wrap as well?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now