Talk

Advanced search

UK mark up on US stores is outrageous isn't it?

(17 Posts)
EachandEveryone Fri 21-Nov-14 09:31:59

Following on from the J.Crewe thread. I've just had an email from Banana republic telling telling me there's 50% off everything. Clicked onto it and they then give me a code for an extra 30% off at the till. That's an 80% reduction! Of course it's in dollars on top of that. It's so not bloody fair!

burnishedsilver Fri 21-Nov-14 09:53:15

The Irish mark up on UK stores isn't much better.

Valsoldknickers Fri 21-Nov-14 09:57:12

burnishedsilver you got in there before me grin

MaximumVolume Fri 21-Nov-14 09:58:12

It costs more to run a shop over here, I'd imagine. We have higher taxes which pay for things like NHS. In the US, costs of employment (tax & NI) & employing people are lower, but living costs are higher due to needing medical insurance etc.

EachandEveryone Fri 21-Nov-14 09:59:47

I wonder why the Irish mark up so high?

TheFairyCaravan Fri 21-Nov-14 10:06:03

My kids like clothes brands that are a lot cheaper in America than here. I order them from an online shop, pay the delivery and customs charge but still save money. It's absolutely mad.

burnishedsilver Fri 21-Nov-14 10:22:57

Its not every shop but Monsoon, for example, can be 30 - 40% more on some items when comparing the Irish stores with the UK website. I try on in the shop but only ever buy off the website.

I was in the US recently. I didn't find full retail price to be particularly cheap but the discounts were substantial. 40% seems to be commonplace.

EachandEveryone Sat 22-Nov-14 13:15:28

Yes, it's definately the sales prices mainly. And the fact that there seems to be constantly sales on.

louwn Sat 22-Nov-14 13:37:58

In a related question, Im off to the US soon. Would like good quality blazer and some jeans - where should I go? Sorry OP for hijack!!

rubybleu Sat 22-Nov-14 14:11:55

VAT at 20% is built into the prices here whereas US prices are quoted without state/city taxes, so you'll pay more than quoted at the checkout.

burnishedsilver Sat 22-Nov-14 19:01:56

For everyday stuff try loft.com louwn. Its a bit like banana republic but i think the quality is better. If you are after something more high end the department stores are your best bet.

skylerwhite1 Sat 22-Nov-14 19:18:51

Louwn, Banana Republic is great for wardrobe staples, blazers trousers etc. if your cash is freely flowing try Club Monoco on 5th near Central Park in NY. Their stuff is amazing but pricy. have a great time in US lucky ducky

hollyisalovelyname Sun 23-Nov-14 12:35:45

Pity your poor Irish neighbours. The mark up here is frightful.
Ordering online is very expensive - no free delivery or RETURNS but yet just 60 miles up the road, on the same island, Northern Ireland customers get free delivery and free returns and for a smaller initial outlay.
As we are all EU members shouldn't postal charges be the same ?
Rant over. Sorry.

burnishedsilver Sun 23-Nov-14 16:55:08

Have you tried parcel motel holly? It often works out cheaper for delivery and you can use it for sites that don't deliver to Ireland. I'll often chose to pay in pounds instead of euros and give the northern parcel motel address.

hollyisalovelyname Sun 23-Nov-14 18:09:54

Thanks burnished.

mrsmilkymoo Sun 23-Nov-14 18:48:42

I have very fond memories of the banana republic and j crew outlet stores in the US. My favourite pair of jeans are a $7 pair from a banana republic outlet! And on the day we moved back to the uk I had to make one final stop in j crew. Sales tax was only about 9% in LA, so loads cheaper than vat too.

EachandEveryone Mon 01-Dec-14 13:28:35

J.Crew have an extra 30% their sale stock today! makes it just about doable!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now