Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Bra intervention for feeding bra desperately needed please!

(10 Posts)
regularbutpanickingabit Thu 20-Nov-14 17:04:32

Help!
I used the bra intervention help from here last year and it totally transformed not just my bras, but my swim wear, my vest tops, my life....

I am now coming to the end of pregnancy and desperately need to get feeding bras. The non-underwired normal bras during pregnancy have been a necessary evil but I am ready for the next stage.

The thing is, I have NO idea what size I am meant to buy now. Absolutely zero. I am 36+2 weeks, induction booked for bang in 39 weeks.

What do I measure? Do I need to go up a size from that in anticipation of the milk coming in?

Help please!!!

puppy123 Thu 20-Nov-14 17:20:23

In my experience buy big! I am two cup sizes bigger breastfeeding than I was in pregnancy and that was 2 sizes bigger than normal! I am big usually and went to Bravissimo who were good, I bought the Panache Sophie ones on the basis they are comfy and the least frumpy ones. You still get boob squeeze though as they fluctuate so much.

regularbutpanickingabit Thu 20-Nov-14 17:32:50

Eek! Ok, so two cup sizes bigger but base the other measurement on where I am now?

regularbutpanickingabit Thu 20-Nov-14 18:09:04

OK, have measured again. At the moment I am 38" around the back and 47.5 at the biggest point when leaning forward at 90 degrees.

I think that means 38GG or H for normal bras. What should I try for feeding bras please?

Thank you!

leedy Thu 20-Nov-14 19:17:04

I wouldn't bother buying anything (particularly anything expensive) until a few weeks in when your size has settled - mine was waaaaaay off the predicted size (bigger). I just wore stretchy "sleep" nursing bras at first.

StatisticallyChallenged Thu 20-Nov-14 19:36:29

Once your size is settled, your best bet might be to get normal bras and the conversion kits you can buy online. Ewa Michalak also make a wired feeding bra which is great

As a short term, the Royce Blossom is triple size - they do a G-H size - so might be a good option until you settle

Oh, and, erm...soft cups are NOT a necessity. In pregnancy or when feeding. So long as your wires fit properly and are not resting on breast tissue, they're fine. Ignore the midwife/nurse/random crap online. The reason they're considered a bad idea is because so many people wear the wrong size so the wire is resting on breast tissue which can cause mastitis/blocked duct. If it fits, it's FINE!

Thelovecats Thu 20-Nov-14 21:59:06

Look at bravado here. Bras4mums are good to talk you through sizes over phone. I think that bra comes up big in back size. After 2/3 weeks your size will have settled a fair bit so you can shop for bras for the next few months then.

leedy Thu 20-Nov-14 22:25:04

Yes! I am a big fan of the underwired nursing bra - Anita do a great one (though I'm not sure what size they go up to, I'm only a D/E). As Statistically says, if it fits, it's fine.

BlanketSky Fri 21-Nov-14 00:20:13

the Royce Blossom is great, I'm still wearing them some of the time almost 7 months in. Actually very supportive (g and gg at the start) which surprised me. I bought my usual 32 and extenders which meant I could get more use out of them as my ribs went back (though this time I only went up one back size)

regularbutpanickingabit Fri 21-Nov-14 11:48:02

Fantastic advice. Thanks all!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: