Talk

Advanced search

Boat-neck, heavyish Breton top?

(13 Posts)
Laquila Thu 20-Nov-14 12:19:19

Agggggggh.

The Joules one is a good weight fabric, but has the Joules label on the sleeve, and logo on the back. And it's not quite long enough.

The Boden one has a good neckline, but is way too light and shows every lump, and doesn't wash very well.

The best ones I have are from Jojo Maman Bebe - thick, stretchy cotton jersey, wash brilliantly, longer length, and don't lose their shape....but, they're for nursing, and I'm sick to death of wearing nursing tops.

Has anyone found the holy grail Breton??...

googietheegg Thu 20-Nov-14 12:26:04

I bought some lovely ones from Banana Republic two years ago and they're still going strong.

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Thu 20-Nov-14 12:31:23

The original ones last for ever even when you will be sick of it. My last one lasted 10 years there

tethersend Thu 20-Nov-14 12:56:06

lands end ones are fantastic.

Darkchocsprinkles Thu 20-Nov-14 13:05:03

The Seasalt one is very good - heavy, boat neck, no logos...

Lambzig Thu 20-Nov-14 13:14:40

I love my petit bateau ones. Last ages and are the perfect weight. www.petit-bateau.co.uk/e-shop/product/11213/4W9/women-s-iconic-heavy-jersey-breton.html

toptrumps1 Thu 20-Nov-14 13:49:13

Petit Bateau are good if you can work out your size (I wear 18A as a size 10, but their website says thats a EU40 which is a 12 so....)

Another great brand is St.James, this link is from their site and in euros but I think the heavier weight bretons are about £50 over here. Atterley Road used to do them but I don't go there since they changed their site and you can't search by brand, its too annoying. BUT, if you can find any, I'd really recommend!

www.saintjamesboutique.com/galathee.html

Lifesalemon Thu 20-Nov-14 14:59:43

Another vote here for Seasalt.

cressetmama Thu 20-Nov-14 15:02:46

Armorlux make the best, but aren't easy to find here. Better shape than St James, for me at least.

BlueEyedWonder Thu 20-Nov-14 15:53:27

I second petit bateau. Not cheap but good quality. I went into a store in London as I couldn't work out the sizing online. I'm a 6-8 and the xxs is good on me.
Agree that Lands End are also good.

fooogle Thu 20-Nov-14 19:27:16

I've got two nice quality ones from uniqlo, good thick cotton. Slightly wierd colours ways though...

Laquila Sun 23-Nov-14 10:43:58

Thanks everyone, much appreciated! I'll try Seasalt next time I'm at JL, and might order some Uniqlo ones to try. The Lands End ones look nice but a bit short?

Btw, if anyone has a brilliant suggestions as to what to wear instead of Breton tops for an early 30s, size 12-14 (but with a bit of a tummy) E-cup working mum I'd be v grateful! Seriously, I don't know what other people wear for casual, goes-well-with-jeans chic! Not keen on shirts/button blouses as not flattering in boobs and need longer length tops to cover my bit of muffin top....ugh I hate that phrase.

FrugalFashionista Sun 23-Nov-14 11:44:13

I don't wear bretons but sweatshirts are great and ubiquitous (am slightly more flat-chested though). I love ones that have a slightly wider or more scooped neckline, and the right length depending oun your choice of bottoms is crucial too (shorter for flares and high-waisted jeans, longer for tight bottoms). Get the proportions wrong and it's instant throwback to 1989...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now