Talk

Advanced search

I'm such a greaseball, I need help with eye makeup

(13 Posts)
theladylovescupcakes Wed 19-Nov-14 13:40:50

Greasy t-zone and my eyeshadow slides off. I've just started using Le Roche Posay Effaclar wash and moisturiser, but can't say I've noticed a huge difference. I'm not spotty at all, but forehead is greasy.

I'm so cack handed at applying make up as well, so that doesn't help. Wanted to find something that would help make up stay on, and also any recommendations for sorting my skin out, and maybe some products/tutorials to help me achieve a groomed eyeshadow/liner look.

Thanks in advance flowers

badfurday Wed 19-Nov-14 14:18:09

Try an eye shadow primer, the urban decay one is good.
What is your current skin care routine? What products do you use etc.

Fabulassie Wed 19-Nov-14 14:52:18

Lisa Eldridge does amazing makeup videos.

Carpaccio Wed 19-Nov-14 15:12:11

I find that cream products that set on the skin really last on my oily lids - Mac Paint Pots, Chanel Illusion D'Ombre, Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Colour, Rimmel Scandaleyes eye shadow stick and so on.
I like using the Mac Paint Pot in Painterly or the Rimmel one in 015 Trespassing Taupe as a base under powder shadows - then the powder shadows don't crease.

I'd suggest to start with a brush such as the Mac 217 - it's good for blending and applying shadows, both creams and powders. There are cheaper alternatives on the market - I've heard good things about Real Techniques eye brushes.
No matter how expensive your brushes are, wash them at least once a week smile

For eyeliner, I like Maybelline Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner 24H - it comes with a pretty decent brush.

There are loads of people on youtube who do awesome tutorials - Lisa Eldridge, Tati, Teni Panosian, Pixiwoo, Kandee Johnson, Makeupgeek, Sharon Farrell are my favourites, but there are loads of others too.

Are you sure that you're using the right products for your skin if your skin is so oily? It might be that you're using too harsh products that strip the oils off the skin, forcing the skin to product even more oil - which results in really oily looking skin.
I don't know how your skin is and which other products you've used and are using, but it was just a thought.

theladylovescupcakes Wed 19-Nov-14 15:18:39

Thanks for replies so far. I use Le Roche Posay Effaclar face wash and moisturiser in the morning, then either a facial wipe or micellar water at night. If I'm being good I'll use Clarins facial oil at night, otherwise just any old moisturiser before bed. It's really getting me down, never used to be this bad! It's making my fringe greasy too (grrrrrr). On the upside, I've just turned 41 and I'm not spotty or particularly lined and not eye-baggy either, so small mercies, I suppose.

Will def Google the suggestions above, thanks.

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Wed 19-Nov-14 15:23:06

I prefer the Nars pro prime eyeshadow primer to the urban decay. I find I can blend better over it. The urban decay one seems to hold everything well but "fixes" it in places before I've had a chance to blend the colour. The nars one is a creamier, less chalky texture that still works like a dream but makes application on top much easier, ime.

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Wed 19-Nov-14 15:27:53

I would also say lay off the micellar and wipes. They are stripping your skin and your skin is going into overcompensation mode replacing the stripped oil.

Try a cleansing balm like Clinique's Take the Day Off balm to remove your make up at night (massage a sml blob into dry, dirty skin. Massage off with a clean, damp, flannel, warm water. Rinse to finish).

I know a cleansing balm sounds counterintuitive if you have oily skin, but try it. It's really good. The balm texture breaks down the excess oil, make up, sweat and general grot on your skin which gets washed away without being astringent and stripping the 'essentials'.

Fabulassie Wed 19-Nov-14 16:02:01

I agree that cream shadow can be wonderful. Max Factor have a shadow on a wand that is waterproof. I use a cream/champagne colour as a base. I also use their cream in a pot shadow.... They have a marvellous charcoal/black with shimmer that I will use for a smokey eye.... I apply it and then I use a powder shadow over to intensify (in my case, I use blue shades.)

I don't really have this problem so I can't entirely vouch for these, but I have noticed that when I use the above products, my shadow stays put in terms of definition and intensity.

theladylovescupcakes Wed 19-Nov-14 16:28:18

Grrrrrr, I started with the micellar water as I thought it would be nice and gentle! I have a cleansing balm I could try again. Will google the makeup suggestions. Thx all.

theladylovescupcakes Wed 19-Nov-14 16:33:51

Sorry hope that the grrrr doesn't come across in the wrong way! What I really mean is that there are so many things making various claims that it gets terribly confusing! Do you know what I mean?

RonaldMcDonald Wed 19-Nov-14 16:34:11

prep n prime spf 50 is your friend

theladylovescupcakes Thu 27-Nov-14 22:27:01

Ronald I've been using a wee free sample of prep and prime skin from Mac for the last couple of days, seems to be doing the trick!

Mrsap Thu 27-Nov-14 22:31:31

Treating oily skin as sensitive has changed my life. Quite literally. I am
Really not that oily. The products were simply too harsh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now