Advanced search

bra people - maternity bra help please

(17 Posts)
vanillabird Tue 18-Nov-14 20:07:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

vanillabird Tue 18-Nov-14 20:15:38

AnythingNotEverything Tue 18-Nov-14 20:31:01

Can you get to a bravissimo? They sorted me out brilliantly during pregnancy and for bf.

AnythingNotEverything Tue 18-Nov-14 20:32:35

Sorry, posted too soon!

Wires are fine for maternity - just be vigilant about a good fit.

Wires are not so great for the early weeks/months of bf as you might find you grow a lot in between feeds and from day to day. Once your supply settles you can convert a normal wired bra to a drop cup using a super easy kit from eBay.

Serafinaaa Tue 18-Nov-14 20:38:46

I've posted this on another thread today but I'm 27 weeks and finding the Bravado body silk seamless bra to be the best thing ever. It only comes in s, m, l and xl so you don't need to know a specific size and it doesn't matter if you grow/shrink a bit. No wires, but supportive enough for me and has removable foam cups and a kit to turn it into a normal bra afterwards. I'm not sure how it'd be for bigger sizes though as I've just got it in a small. Perhaps wouldn't be supportive enough. I got mine from a lovely online retailer who were very helpful called 'from here to maternity'.

That's not an unfeasable size change tbh, it just depends on how you are carrying. If you are relatively short or have a higher bump then you tend to see a bigger increase in rib size than someone with a long body or low bump. Someone wearing a 34/36G would probably have measured in the region of 35 under and around 44ish over.

vanillabird Tue 18-Nov-14 21:14:55

Remember cup size is proportional to band size - you have got bigger in the cup in terms of volume, as a 34G is about equal to a 40E in terms of volume.

vanillabird Tue 18-Nov-14 21:30:03

Justgotosleepnow Wed 19-Nov-14 04:36:49

Have a look at the bravado website. I really like their bliss bra, it's a lovely shape and very good support considering it's non wired.
You definitely need a non wired bra for the first 8 weeks or so of bf.

lucy101 Wed 19-Nov-14 04:41:59

It's fine to have underwired bras if they are specifically for breastfeeding like the Anita bras (which I rave about, take a look at them). Their wires are much wider/broader than a normal bra. I found I had more problems with blocked ducts etc. with non-wired bras for some reason and they were never supportive enough.

lucy101 Wed 19-Nov-14 04:42:11

It's fine to have underwired bras if they are specifically for breastfeeding like the Anita bras (which I rave about, take a look at them). Their wires are much wider/broader than a normal bra. I found I had more problems with blocked ducts etc. with non-wired bras for some reason and they were never supportive enough.

AnythingNotEverything Wed 19-Nov-14 07:13:10

Lucy - it's fine to wear underwired bras while breastfeeding. The only caveats required are the early days and if your boobs continue to fluctuate in size. As always, an individual good for is vital.

Underwired nursing bras may be specially designed, but that doesn't mean normal bras are unsuitable. The cost, and scarcity, or wired nursing bras in large sizes can put people off.

Agreed normal underwires are fine as long as they fit

Whenwillwe3meetagain Wed 19-Nov-14 07:40:10

I really like Bravado bras too. Have 3 and due on Friday!

Justgotosleepnow Wed 19-Nov-14 09:58:08

Sorry but for the first 8 weeks Breastfeeding your boobs vary in size a lot, and the bra needs to be very stretchy to accommodate this.
When they have settled down the underwiring can be ok.

Yes, hence they are fine as long as they fit. Not everyone varies that much, some settle into a size very quickly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now