Talk

Advanced search

Reiss refusing to refund faulty item, are they right?

(14 Posts)
Sunmakesmesmile Tue 18-Nov-14 15:46:23

I tried to return an item of knitwear worn once which was coming apart at the seam on one of the sleeves to Reiss. I had my receipt, the sales assistant refused a refund, only offered to repair the item. She may have offered to replace but I can't remember. I requested my money back, eventually she offered a credit note as a gesture of goodwill. I declined and have left without my refund. Were they right? I thought (and please correct me if I'm wrong!) that if an item was faulty I was entitled to a refund? I have the head office details where I was planning on sending it, but I wanted to check if I am right about the refund first! Many thanks

nothingwittyhere Tue 18-Nov-14 15:50:47

Google searches seem to agree that you are entitled to a refund and don't have to accept replacement or repair. I search "sog act" (for Sale of Goods Act).

squoosh Tue 18-Nov-14 15:51:44

I'm not sure to be honest but have you tried asking them on Twitter, that often provokes a better response than asking in store.

Sunmakesmesmile Tue 18-Nov-14 15:54:17

I'm not on twitter, mn is about as technical as I get! Straight after leaving Reiss I went to Gap and was given a full refund on a sweater which had worn badly without quibble. I was shocked at how bad the service was in Reiss. Will never buy from them again!

pootlebug Tue 18-Nov-14 16:38:25

Reiss are notoriously crap on refund policy. FWIW, if you are ever tempted to buy from them again, try and find the same item in the Reiss concession of a John Lewis, then you are covered by JL's infinitely better system.

Coffi Tue 18-Nov-14 18:06:00

Not all shops offer a refund policy and Im pretty sure that they don't have to either. They can offer to repair or to change it for you but don't have to refund. We have been spoilt by some of the bigger retailers who offer refunds without much quibble.

Coffi Tue 18-Nov-14 18:15:37

Sorry I missed that the item is coming apart. I think that if it is faulty then they do have to refund you if that is what you choose. How long ago did you purchase the item OP?

https://www.gov.uk/accepting-returns-and-giving-refunds

Sunmakesmesmile Tue 18-Nov-14 19:46:01

Thanks for your replies! In hindsight I should have purchased from JL. Lesson learned. I bought the jumper 6 weeks ago and literally only wore it once and the cuff has come apart.

BelindaAllWorkedOut Tue 18-Nov-14 20:20:20

I would insist in seeing a manager, and start quoting The Law.

squoosh Tue 18-Nov-14 20:23:04

I agree, ask to speak to a manager and kick up a fuss in the most polite but pointed way possible. Be dogged.

OneHandFlapping Tue 18-Nov-14 22:32:44

Hmmm. This is timely. I was going to buy a suit from Reiss, but now I think I'll get the Ted Baker one instead.

Viviennemary Tue 18-Nov-14 22:36:31

You could ring them again and say you will be contacting Trading Standards. They won't like that. You should be entitled to a refund but a lot of firms try and get away with offering repairs.

Sunmakesmesmile Tue 18-Nov-14 22:52:49

Thanks, I've found a letter template setting out the sale of goods act which I'll use to accompany my return. Hopefully I'll get my refund from customer service without much fuss. So frustrating that I was in the right yet the sales assistant refused to move from her position of offering of a repair!

sleepdodger Wed 19-Nov-14 00:22:00

Reiss are crap at refunds
I know someone who used to work in tech their and left for that reason...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now