Talk

Advanced search

Dry skin help!!!

(18 Posts)
quesadillas Tue 18-Nov-14 13:55:54

Hi,

I've always had dry skin and managed to keep it fairly OK, but recently I've noticed that either it's getting dryer or what I'm doing is losing effectiveness. Wondering if there's any dry skinned ladies out there with any tips or product ideas.

Currently I use face scrub most mornings. I have to or I just get flaky bits. Moisturise afterwards. No particular product, always get one with an SPF and that's suitable for dry skin. I wear make-up maybe 5 days a week, usually a no. 7 foundation, but I've noticed recently that my skin feels dry and tight under it. At night I use the Superdrug hot cloth cleanser (or face wipes if feeling lazy or drunk!) and then Nivea creme in the blue pot. The Nivea is a new thing, and I've found it does help, but it's far too greasy to use in the morning.

Any tips? Now I'm 35 I really feel the need to keep on top of it. Don't really have a budget for products, happy to look into anything and everything!

Thanks!

Roseformeplease Tue 18-Nov-14 13:56:57

Aveeno. Aveeno! Amazing stuff. I use it on my body and face. Light and absorbed quickly but good for sorting it out.

MillionPramMiles Tue 18-Nov-14 14:10:14

Personally I find using water on my face makes the skin dryer so I avoid face washes and scrubs. Instead I use a cleansing balm (Body Shop do a nice one) with damp cotton wool and Cliniques turnaround cream (applied at night, effectively acts as an exfolliant). Cliniques moisturiser for every day use and Eucerin Aqua balm on very dry, flaky patches.
I'm not sure its advisable to exfoliate every day, that might be aggravating it?

If you're finding Nivea too greasy though sounds like your skin isn't as dry as mine.

quesadillas Tue 18-Nov-14 14:20:11

Thanks for the suggestions, just having a look now.

MillionPramMiles, do you know what the Body Shop balm is called? I can't seem to find it on their website.

MillionPramMiles Tue 18-Nov-14 16:33:49

Its called Camomile cleansing balm I think - the words Camomile and balm are definitely in there somewhere! It comes in a large, round flat tub.
It feels lovely on my skin, especially in the mornings when its very dry and takes the dirt off well.

FrugalFashionista Tue 18-Nov-14 17:03:09

Forget the scrubs and hot cloth (both very drying: more scrubbing -> more flaking) and buy some Eucerin 5% urea cream.

I used to have very flaky and dry skin but going much, much gentler and getting rid of most skincare (current regime: Chanel Hydra serum and mineral foundation in the morning, micellar water and a tiny amount of black African soap in the evening) has totally transformed it. I still have Eucerin for winter but rarely need it.

SomeSunnySunday Tue 18-Nov-14 17:07:43

I was also going to say Aveeno. I use it as moisturiser. I occasionally use Simple face wash, but mainly just use water and a facecloth to wash my face. I reapply Aveeno or Oilatum to the really dry areas through the day, and wear minimal make up unless I'm going out. This routine works better than any if the more expensive products which I have tried.

TheBigBumTheory Tue 18-Nov-14 17:11:55

Aveeno

Also good nutrition, lots of fluids.

CaffeineDeficit Tue 18-Nov-14 17:12:23

I agree - step away from the hot cloth cleanser! The Superdrug one really did a number on my skin, despite it being recommended for dry/sensitive skin.

I find Aveeno good, though it can sting if I'm having a flare up. However, I really like Epaderm cream (not Epaderm ointment - I react to that!)

You can buy the Epaderm cream in a small pump action dispenser in the pharmacy section of large Boots for about £3.50. I use it as both a moisturiser and a cleansing balm and my skin's currently flake-free and much less red, with no angry irritated patches

squoosh Tue 18-Nov-14 17:37:32

Well I have dry skin and my complexion loves hot cloth cleansing, although my it hated the Superdrug cleanser. My evening routine is......

hot cloth cleanse (currently using Body Shop Nutriganics oil cleanser)
massage in some facial oil (facial oil transformed my skin)
apply Vichy Aqualia Thermal serum
plaster on some Body Sop Vitamin E night cream.

My skin is tip top and really hydrated.

Ditch the daily facial scrub, sounds way too harsh.

lisej Tue 18-Nov-14 17:43:06

I second Aveeno - it's brilliant. Also, the Aldi nightcream (not the daycream) in the gold and white box. It says it's for mature skins, so isn't aimed at people of my age, but it's incredibly rich and brilliant for my dry skin.

Pippidoeswhatshewants Tue 18-Nov-14 17:43:53

Very gentle cleansing balm (doesn't really matter which), scrub max. once a week!
Everything eucerin is great, I like the urea line and the ato control as well.
No. 7 also do make up for very dry skin, it might be time to upgrade to that.

Pippidoeswhatshewants Tue 18-Nov-14 17:45:11

Forgot to say: everybody seems to be raving about Aveeno, I really don't think it's that great. You can order a free sample via their website.

ScienceRocks Tue 18-Nov-14 18:14:14

I don't rate Aveeno either.

I have ridiculously dry and sensitive skin, which flares up for no apparent reason every now and then. Generally, I find the following work:

Soap and glory hot cloth cleanser (though I just use it in the shower as a face wash). If things are really bad, I slap on some coconut oil and then shower it off.

Nivea SPf 15 cream (can't remember the name, but it is in a tube rather than a tub) or soap and glory bb cream, or steam cream if my skin is really struggling.

Honestly, soap and glory is fab!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 18-Nov-14 18:36:03

Stop the scrub, you should only do that once a week.

Use The Body Shop's chamomile cleansing butter or gentle aloe calming cleanser to double cleanse then moisturise with aloe day or night cream.

Since I've been double cleansing I've not had one single flake, it transformed my skin over night. I hardly need any moisturiser either and I used to get through buckets of the stuff. I honestly believe double cleansing is key to sorting out dry skin.

quesadillas Tue 18-Nov-14 19:17:41

Brilliant, thanks for all the tips!

Jemster Tue 18-Nov-14 21:14:05

Can you get Aveeno moisturiser specifically for the face anyone know?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 18-Nov-14 22:36:04

And no wipes, no matter how pissed you arewink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now