Talk

Advanced search

Never colored hair, first signs of grey please help!

(13 Posts)
tiggyhop Tue 18-Nov-14 13:47:17

I need advice from wise mumsnetters. I am finding a few grey hairs and need to do something! I have mousey dark formerly blonde hair. Would prefer to do something at home unless I am going to royally mess up! Please help!

MrsLettuce Tue 18-Nov-14 13:49:20

Just leave it! There's nowt wrong with going greyflowers

Milmingebag Tue 18-Nov-14 15:31:40

Leaving it will probably look lovely however if you are determined than I think putting a semi in a tone a couple of shades lighter will hopefully turn them into highlights. With grey you have to go neutral or warm because if you put an ash on it might turn a flat green hue.

Castings is pretty good.

tiggyhop Tue 18-Nov-14 18:13:21

can I really leave it? now I am scared I am going to turn my hair green

MilkThistle187 Tue 18-Nov-14 19:17:39

You won't turn your hair green! I'd go for Nice & Easy semi permanent, I find them the best

tiggyhop Tue 18-Nov-14 20:44:15

OK so I won't turn my hair green, I like the idea of semi permanent, can I do it at home?

photocop Tue 18-Nov-14 21:01:41

Just be aware that semi-permanent is more or less permanent - it won't wash out. I naively got caught up in that trap and eventually cut my hair super-short to get rid of the dye, which never matched my natural colour, didn't cover the grey for more than two weeks, didn't flatter my skin and felt like enslavement (had to do roots every four weeks).

It kept going brassy and I hated the colour.

In short, I am evangelical about NOT dyeing my hair. WTF is wrong with a few greys? There is no shame in growing older (it's better than the alternative).

Sorry for the rant! My husband loves my greys, I love his, we are only 40 but honestly I think a few greys look fine and it's so liberating to not be spending time and money on hair dye not to mention the nasty chemicals that I was going to potentially use for 20+ years until society deems it acceptable for women to go grey.

tiggyhop Tue 18-Nov-14 21:12:34

so go grey? I do agree that there is nothing wrong with grey. knowing me I will make an almighty botch of it anyway!!

maza22 Wed 19-Nov-14 17:42:49

I agree nothing wrong with a few natural highlights looks better than the block of 1 colour you tend to get with dyed hair

tiggyhop Wed 19-Nov-14 18:09:04

Thank you oh wise mumsnetters - I think you have saved me from disaster - I am not going to panic and do anything crazy like try to colour my own hair - after 40 years of not colouring it I think it was a recipe from disaster. I literally was on my way to buy the colour!

maza22 Wed 19-Nov-14 18:47:32

That's good going i started to go grey at 16 started dyeing it at 20 now dyeing it is zzzz routine x

BlueEyedWonder Wed 19-Nov-14 20:45:58

I started finding greys in my early 20s. I'm now late 30s and very grey.
I would avoid using semi permanent colours that you can do at home. My experience was that they never look very natural and they don't really cover greys very well anyway. Also regrowth can be harsh as you start to get more greys.
I would either live with them or go to the hairdressers ans have highlights to blend them rather than hide them.

photocop Wed 19-Nov-14 20:46:19

I think a salon colour with highlights/lowlights can be a feasible grey-covering option but it costs ££££££££. I could never afford it and home colour gives you the solid colour which, for me, was highly unflattering and a PITA.

And you still have to face the growing out colour phase, whether now as I did or in 20 years time (though I do know plenty of older women who dyed their hair till very late in life). Have you seen Joan Collins recently?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now