Talk

Advanced search

Nail varnish, is base coat the problem with chipping and peeling?

(9 Posts)
Angelhairscruff Tue 18-Nov-14 10:42:53

I wear nail varnish a lot and never normally without a base coat as I don't want stained nails. However, they always chip and peel very easily. Last week I painted them without a base coat as I couldn't find it and was in a rush, and a week later, I can't shift the nail varnish! Even picking it with my teeth (I know I know) isn't doing much.
I wonder if this is the way forward albeit with stained nails, or whether there is a good base coat out there that I'm not aware of, can anyone advise?

Marylou2 Tue 18-Nov-14 10:46:57

I use OPI nail envy as both a base and top coat.I always wipe my nails with polish remover before applying my base coat.

cocoblu Tue 18-Nov-14 16:44:38

I've had exactly the same problem and this is what I have started to do, 2 coats and the top coat and it does seem to last a bit longer as it seems to grip the nail more, will be interested to see what others think

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 18-Nov-14 18:42:32

I never use base coat, just 2 coats of polish then no 7 top coat which dries it is seconds, truly amazing stuff.

Get some Sally Hansen remover, that always works for me. I bought some really crap stuff a few weeks ago it was like trying to remove polish with water-useless! Quickies are good too,I use them on my toes as I wear dark polish.

Hoviscats Tue 18-Nov-14 18:47:07

I always use base coat, 2 coats of colour and sally Hansen Insta dry top coat.

Sometimes it peels and I am sure it is always because I haven't wiped my nails with remover before I start.

Apparently they should be squeaky clean and quite literally squeak when you rub on the remover.

Hope that helps!

Hoviscats Tue 18-Nov-14 18:48:16

forgot to add, I use all types of base coat although sally hansen probably my favourite

Angelhairscruff Tue 18-Nov-14 18:52:43

Ah, I may be having a eureka moment here! I've only had my nails painted properly once, and the lady took my old colour off first with nail varnish remover but then DIDNT wash it off my nails. I remember thinking at the time that it was odd as I always wash it off. Is that where I'm going wrong?!

Hoviscats Tue 18-Nov-14 21:09:26

Yes I would say so!! grin

Angelhairscruff Tue 18-Nov-14 21:11:01

Thanks! It's so worth posting on here sometimes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now