Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend me a moisturiser?

(5 Posts)
NoTeaForMe Tue 18-Nov-14 09:55:16

I have quite dry skin and at my age (32) really should be moisturising more often...or at all! Can anyone recommend me a good one?

Thanks

LordEmsworth Tue 18-Nov-14 10:02:47

Is your skin dry (doesn't produce much oil) or dehydrated (lacking in water)? If it looks better straight out of the shower, it's dehydrated; you don't need a rich cream but do need moisturising ingredients (and to drink more water!). If it's dry then you should go richer.

Do you need / want an SPF? Do you wear make up on top? If either of those is yes, you might think separate day & night creams. A day cream will be lighter, prep skin for make up and not make your skin greasy. A night cream can be heavier, as you'll be in bed - doesn't have to be expensive (though I like a bit of luxury at bedtime grin)

I love Origins moisturisers, they do the job but also smell lovely, which is important to me - I hate perfumey smells.

PrimalLass Tue 18-Nov-14 10:18:37

I keep recommending this one. Best I have found and a (comparative) bargain for 100ml.
www.clinique.co.uk/product/8388/24569/Skin-Care/hydration/Moisture-Surge-Overnight-Mask

NoTeaForMe Tue 18-Nov-14 10:35:13

It's just dry, it's no better after a shower. I do wear make up in the day. I use a primer under my make up would I still need a moisturiser before that?

I do wonder actually about just getting a good night cream.

LordEmsworth Tue 18-Nov-14 11:12:34

Primer won't moisturise - I would definitely give up primer before I gave up moisturiser...

I use Origins Perfect World serum, then GinZing moisturiser during the day (you would probably benefit from/get away with something heavier - e.g. Perfect World or Make A Difference), then a (mattifying) primer; and I use Steam Cream mixed with Clarins face oil overnight (I use the one for dehydrated skin but there is one for dry skin too), and occasionally an overnight moisturising mask as a boost.

If I were to go for just one thing, it would be the night cream or oil; if I were to go for two, it would be heavy night cream & light day cream.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now