Talk

Advanced search

o GOD

(9 Posts)
HeyheyheyGoodbye Mon 17-Nov-14 13:24:09

Working (vvvvv casual environment and I work alone: think lab work, or similar) morning shifts today and tomorrow. Thought had important meeting after work tomorrow, so planned to come in all spruced up ready for it. Hair could have done with a wash this morning but I didn't really have time so just tied it up in a manky bun after my shower, thinking nobody would see me anyway. Big sloppy jumper, jeans, trainers, no jewelry, haven't even brought make-up bag with me because I changed handbags and forgot.

Meeting is (of course) TODAY. I look such a tramp! I'm clean (apart from my skanky hair) and have a bottle of perfume with me so can have a quick spritz but oh, God, I look like Worzel Gummidge. Horrified. I feel so much better going into meetings knowing I look nice and put-together. As it's just a morning shift I don't even get a break so can't run out and try to buy something else. Horrible.

Has this happened to anyone else? What did you do? Just style it out and pretend you were going for student chic?

Turquoiseblue Mon 17-Nov-14 14:19:54

It is an important meeting ? I do believe that in formal business meetings your presentation (neat, groomed) is your opening sentence.
Brush hair, plait/ tie up neatly if you can. Can you get away with it then? Are you presenting ? What environment is it?
Straighten clothes, tuck in and turn up any loose seams / ends as best you can. Clean hands and nails and teeth.
If it s a pivotal or important meeting, I would apologise and come clean about confusing the dates and explain why you re not dressed for the occasion. I would consider cancelling it if you feel your consciousness about your appearance will distract from your attention and focus in the meeting. However - Steve jobs, mark zcherman etc all say that clothes don't maketh the Man, so if you can wing it and feign nonchalance norm core grin give it your best shot.

HeyheyheyGoodbye Mon 17-Nov-14 14:24:37

Thanks Turquoise! I absolutely can't move the meeting but perhaps I shall apologise for my appearance - of course then I have to tell them I'd got the day wrong! At least I've done all the prep work for it.

Slight good news is I've found a can of dry shampoo lurking about so at least could freshen up my hair and jujj it a bit. I think I'll fold up the sleeves of my jumper and pretend this is the look I was going for!! At least I am clean and neat. If I see them giving me the hmm face then I'll mention it, maybe.

Never again! From now on I'm keeping a spare outfit and make-up in the office!

Floisme Mon 17-Nov-14 14:31:32

I would be upfront about it but I don't think I'd admit to getting the day wrong - you don't want them to think you're disorganised as well as under-dressed! I think you can apologise for your appearance without having to explain it, if you know what I mean. Good luck.

HeyheyheyGoodbye Mon 17-Nov-14 14:36:33

Maybe I can say something got spilled on me (this is not unlikely in my job, hence the casual clothes!) and these were all I had to change into?

Floisme Mon 17-Nov-14 14:46:39

That might work but I'd still be tempted to apologise but not try and explain at all. Don't know what anyone else thinks?

HeyheyheyGoodbye Mon 17-Nov-14 14:48:38

I just feel like if I apologise but don't explain they'll be waiting for me to give them a reason...what if I say 'Please let me apologise for my appearance, this is not at all how I would usually dress for a meeting,' and then just move swiftly on to the agenda?

Floisme Mon 17-Nov-14 14:56:13

Yes, I think that sounds better. I would tell as few lies as you can and I don't mean that in a moralistic way, I just think there's less chance of being caught out. I'm speaking from experience grin Hope it goes well for you.

HeyheyheyGoodbye Mon 17-Nov-14 17:08:19

I agree - I always say anything that isn't the truth is too difficult to remember! grin

It went fine in the end. I can't say I think they even noticed and I was super prepared in all other aspects so I hope my vague apology won't be puzzled over! Phew.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now