Talk

Advanced search

Denim skirt - yay or nay?

(15 Posts)
FruitBasedDrinkForALady Sun 16-Nov-14 22:02:20

And if it's yay, can someone tell me where to find one that doesn't belong in the 1980s? I can't do skater or more than an inch above the knee. I'm 5ft2 and about a size 10. I prefer dark/indigo denim. I had a lovely a-line wrap, but it's too big and moving the buttons makes it sit funny.

scarletforya Sun 16-Nov-14 22:08:29

Oooh, I think they're all absolutely horrible. Except denim minis, they're ok.

Greengardenpixie Sun 16-Nov-14 22:17:45

I love my denim skirt! I have a denim pencil skirt that i got from next about 6 months ago. I also have a number of A-line denim skirts from whitestuff. very flattering shape. Lovely knee length with tights and boots. A staple and go with anything.

Greengardenpixie Sun 16-Nov-14 22:19:21

Boden does a nice one:

www.boden.co.uk/en-GB/Womens-Skirts/Above-Knee-Skirts/WG552-IND/Womens-Indigo-Denim-Cambridge-Skirt.html

Out of stock right now but worth seeing if it comes back in. Looks a nice flattering a-line.

Twinklestein Sun 16-Nov-14 22:44:00

Nay nay and thrice nay.

If you've got great legs and you're youngish you might pull off a mini, but otherwise no.

GlitterySparkleChops Sun 16-Nov-14 23:00:37

Nay. It's not dress down day in 1988, therefore no.

FruitBasedDrinkForALady Sun 16-Nov-14 23:35:20

I definitely don't have the legs for a mini, even with thick tights. Oh well. All suggestions for a viable alternative would be appreciated - a daytime, mooching around with a pair of younglings type of skirt.

CointreauVersial Sun 16-Nov-14 23:43:02

I have a couple. A mini-length, slightly A-line one from Warehouse, and a just-above-the-knee classic design "distressed" one from Sainsburys (of all places). The last one was a recent purchase.

Nice at the weekend with a slouchy jumper, tights and knee boots.

And I'm 47, so there. smile

PlantsAndFlowers Mon 17-Nov-14 00:18:14

I love denim skirts - knee length, A line. Perfect.

Dash do some nice ones, so if you google Dash denim skirt the options come up - think they're stocked in Debenhams and House of Fraser.

squoosh Mon 17-Nov-14 00:28:31

Denim shirt - yes.

Denim skirt - no.

Lottapianos Mon 17-Nov-14 13:42:57

Yay. I got a stretchy pencil one from M&S, knee length. Its a dark denim so quite smart looking

Floisme Mon 17-Nov-14 13:51:16

I've got one denim skirt that I still like - it's pencil shape and ends just below the knee. But for mooching around (in fact for anything) I prefer a tube skirt.

FruitBasedDrinkForALady Tue 18-Nov-14 12:36:18

Thank for the opinions everyone. It seems it's very much about finding the right skirt so! I haven't managed to find it, so I'll keep looking and try to find an alternative in the meantime.

butterflybuns Tue 18-Nov-14 12:41:22

A definite yes from me- a few inches above knee in a darkish denim with thick tights and boots. Also got a purple cord skirt again a few inches above knee. Both great in autumn/ winter I think. I even do leggings and denim skirt on cooler spring/summer days.

vitaminC Tue 18-Nov-14 12:53:47

I live in a city with a large community of Italian ex-pats and this seems to be the standard look for many of the Italian women - knee-length denim skirt, woolly grey or purple tights and a cashmere/wool sweater. They all seem to wear "sensible" shoes or boots without looking frumpy, too. I have no idea how!

OP, I have two denim skirts - an indigo one, that sits just above the knee, from M&S a few years ago, and a faded, knee-length, A-line one from H&M. I wear them pretty much in place of jeans (which don't really suit my body shape).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now