Talk

Advanced search

I've hit 30. Should I start using a preventative wrinkle cream or something?

(21 Posts)
MrsEames Sun 16-Nov-14 20:25:49

I don't really have a skin care routine but I do only use Liz Earle cleanse and polish to wash with and occasionally her moisturiser too.

I don't think I have wrinkles yet but prevention is the best medicine and all that.

Any recommendations?

grumblepuss Sun 16-Nov-14 21:03:48

I think its 90% genetic.
I'm (just) 31 and have been told three times in about a month that I look 24.
I wash my face with shower gel while I'm showering, moisurise with aldi anti aging cream or what ever I can find in boots.

Drink plenty of water, exercise, don't have too many late nights etc is as good advice as which moisturiser to use.

SoMuchForSubtlety Sun 16-Nov-14 21:50:18

Use sunscreen, don't smoke and drink a lot of water. That should cover it.

TooMuchCantBreathe Sun 16-Nov-14 21:55:09

As pp have said. Lifestyle and genetics are key not creams. Using a moisturiser is good for the very upper layers of skin but won't help wrinkles. Realistically it's clean living all the way.

If you're after a short term boost for a night out then things like revitalift do plump so lessen the appearance but it will have worn off by the time the lights go up.

lurkingaround Sun 16-Nov-14 22:25:56

Yes you should start using a preventative wrinkle cream: SPF50. Every day.

It is the only product that will prevent wrinkles.

LizzieMint Sun 16-Nov-14 22:28:14

Did you know that the only ingredient in anti-wrinkle creams that allows them to claim that they are anti-wrinkle creams is sunscreen? There's nothing else in them that makes a difference. Buy a sunscreen, stay out of strong sun and don't smoke.

MrsEames Sun 16-Nov-14 22:41:14

I don't drink or smoke so I guess that is a good start. Crap with water though. I know I look young for 30 but am just trying to be prepared!

squoosh Mon 17-Nov-14 00:15:57

Address your skin's specific needs, dry, oily, clogged pores etc. rather than thinking 'anti ageing'. 'Anti ageing' is a just a marketing catch all.

specialsubject Mon 17-Nov-14 12:27:15

no such thing as anti-ageing; read the ads and think what 'helps prevent the signs of ageing' actually means. Answer: NOTHING.

you will get wrinkles unless you die soon. Wear sunscreen, don't smoke, live your life.

Lottapianos Mon 17-Nov-14 13:40:09

Agree with the others - avoid anything that is marketed as 'anti ageing'. Use a cleanser and moisturiser that suit your skin, apart from that its what you put in your body that makes the difference.

So that means don't smoke, watch the sugar (including booze), lots of water, watch the caffeine, lots of fruit and veg, get enough sleep, exercise (even just brisk walking makes a difference but some sweaty cardio is much better), eat good fats (olive oil, nuts, avocados). And use sunscreen. The good news is that all of this is either free or very cheap, the bad news is that you have to work at it every day. It does work though.

MakeMeWarmThisWinter Mon 17-Nov-14 13:58:26

I started using SPF50 every day from 30 - I'm now 34 and it has definitely made a difference to my skin. I no longer get redness, and it just looks calmer and healthier. Doesn't have to be anything special - I use Boots Soltan the baby version, as it's gentle and hypoallergenic etc, and SPF50. It doesn't clog my pores either, which can be a problem with sunscreens, and is fine under makeup. I use a light moisturiser underneath.

And yes to drinking lots of water. Makes an immediate tangible difference to any wrinkly bits and eye bags. And I take omega oil tablets too which help my skin a lot.

Other than that - yes, just use a cleanser and moisturiser you like, use it twice a day religiously. I think it's the routine that helps not so much the products - keeping skin clean, massaging a rich cream in, it's all good.

Lottapianos Mon 17-Nov-14 14:08:20

Oh yes to Omega oils - I take the 3+6+9 capsules from Superdrug and I think they do make a difference to my dry skin.

avagosling Mon 17-Nov-14 16:43:24

Omegas are great for the skin, but also oils externally on your skin are brilliant. Rosehip is the ultimate oil for anti-ageing. Also the oil cleansing method is very nurturing for the skin.

santamarianovella Mon 17-Nov-14 22:51:14

The single cream that has been clinically proven to produce collagen and minimise wrinkles, is Retin- A, the younger you are when using it ,the better result you will get when you are older,
Contrary to popular believe, Genetics doesn't play that big of a role, its a factor but not a huge one, it really depends on your life style,Eating well, rest, and minimal stress are all important in maintaining good youthful skin,
Also my dermatologist told me that drinking loads of water hasn't proven to reduce wrinkles at all, its good for you body ,but your skin benefits more from good fats like nuts and avocados,

LizzieMint Tue 18-Nov-14 09:28:27

Retin a does have an effect on skin but is prescription only in the Uk. (Side effects include burning, redness, dryness).
Retinol (vitamin a) which is generally what's in skin creams, is less effective because it's unstable.
Sunscreen is still the most effective anti-wrinkle thing you can use!

Fcukfifa Tue 18-Nov-14 09:37:57

Is there a specific sunscreen for the face? I've got sensitive skin and the thought of using sunscreen everyday makes my skin feel like it's burning already

LizzieMint Tue 18-Nov-14 09:45:17

I just use any kids sunscreen we have. As long as it's not a coloured one.

MakeMeWarmThisWinter Tue 18-Nov-14 10:38:11

Yes to kids ones, or baby ones even better - I use this one and it's fine, doesn't irritate (unless near eyes but that's standard for SPF creams) doesn't clog pores and nice under makeup.

Lottapianos Tue 18-Nov-14 11:10:32

I use Bioderma factor 50 fluid in the summer and on sunny days in winter. I buy it online and it costs about �15 but lasts several months even when using every day. Its the only SPF I've used that doesn't sting my eyes

areyoubeingserviced Tue 18-Nov-14 11:15:12

Defo genetics.

WholeLottaRosie Tue 18-Nov-14 14:06:15

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now