Talk

Advanced search

You know those stretchy casual pencil type skirts, just below the knee?

(25 Posts)
treaclesoda Sun 16-Nov-14 19:13:47

What would you wear those with?

I have slim, well defined legs - they are slim on the thighs, then go in above the knee, in again below the knee and have teeny wee ankles. I know it sounds like that is just a big old boast, but the reason I mention it is because that just below the knee length usually makes legs look chunky, but in my case its ok. So, having seen these skirts in the shops I've been thinking 'I wonder if I could...?' They just look so comfortable. But I'm scared of looking like an 80s throw back...So how do you wear them? What goes on your feet?

Just to offset the boastiness of my post, the rest of my body does not match the muscle tone on my legs. My middle is like something from a horror film grin

helzapoppin2 Sun 16-Nov-14 19:55:32

Ha, ha, ha (middle). I bought one today to go with a long line layered tunic in black (dressy).. I was afraid a long skirt with it would look frumpy and I need a change from trousers. My middle is so deplorable I could only wear it with long tops.

I wear them with heeled ankle boots, usually.

Charitygirl1 Sun 16-Nov-14 20:45:46

Yup - heeled name boots, brogues, or air max if I'm feeling sportif and youthful.

On top I wear shortish tops - shirts and t- shirts, pls cropped or hip length cardigans, or jackets.

Charitygirl1 Sun 16-Nov-14 20:46:01

ANKLE boots!

LackingCommonSense Sun 16-Nov-14 21:02:04

Agree with ankle boots! I love these skirts but don't know what to wear on top!

sassytheFIRST Sun 16-Nov-14 21:03:01

Ankle boots and biker jacket.

Agrestic Sun 16-Nov-14 21:06:00

Can someone link to some appropriate tops for me those with no imagination smile

Charitygirl1 Sun 16-Nov-14 21:08:52

Any uniqlo stretchy long sleeve scoop neck!

I tend to wear them with plain, fairly fitted t-shirts which end mid tummy and skim over lumpy bits, and a biker jacket for casual. Or with a similar top and a blazer, for work.

TravelinColour Sun 16-Nov-14 21:56:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

treaclesoda Sun 16-Nov-14 22:42:28

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll go for it smile

Floisme Mon 17-Nov-14 07:12:41

I wear them all the time, usually with something a bit looser on top e.g. a sweatshirt or oversize V neck jumper or flannel shirt. But sometimes, if I need to look a bit smarter, I go for a fitted jacket or buttoned up, round necked cardi. I like them with ankle boots, particularly flat, slouchy and a bit bikerish,

LackingCommonSense Mon 17-Nov-14 14:55:22

I bought a cheap one of these skirts today from primark as it won't matter if I never wear it that way!

Do you wear tights? Flesh coloured only?

Floisme Mon 17-Nov-14 14:57:41

I wear opaques with mine, normally grey.

Opaques here, or bare legs and Converse in the summer.

LackingCommonSense Mon 17-Nov-14 19:15:16

I've bought a black one.. opaques tomorrow then!

Twinklestein Mon 17-Nov-14 19:19:05

I don't like ankle boots with skirts, I think they look very 1983. I wear them with heels or wedges, I've got some great heeled brogues that work too.

On top I wear fitted cashmere cardis or fitted vintage-style silk blouse for smart, or for casual - a cardi/jumper or vest top and gilet.

Nowt wrong with 1983! grin

Personally, I'd look like a loon/Barbara Cartland in brogues and a midi skirt.

OP - I think you just have to try a load of things on and see what works for you. It will vary according to height, body shape, leg shape, phase of the moon, whatever. What works well for one person would be an unmitigated disaster on another.

Twinklestein Mon 17-Nov-14 20:28:58

You mean Barbara Wodehouse lol?

The brogues are high-heels and I wear it with a fitted 40s style jacket.

In my head I'm Lauren Bacall, but I may be 'sit!' in reality...

SarahGoodwin33 Mon 17-Nov-14 20:36:17

Love those skirts and have one but feel I am bit old to wear it! Wore it in summer a couple times with converse pumps and flesh tights.
I too am not sure about skirts with ankle boots

Yes, I think I did! Oops! Having said that, I'm not sure I've ever actually seen B Cartland's feet!

AyMamita Mon 17-Nov-14 21:21:10

I like looking like something from the 80s grin

I wear mine with cool trainers (Adidas/Converse) or ballet pumps, bare legs (fake tan at times but NEVER flesh coloured tights, which are only appropriate for Buckingham Palace garden parties and very formal offices), vest top, fitted sweater and/or fitted casual jacket and a big funky scarf.

Twinklestein Mon 17-Nov-14 21:34:30

Bare legs in November? shock

AyMamita Sun 23-Nov-14 16:15:20

It's more of a spring/summer/autumn look for me. If the temperature's in single digits, I'd wear the skirt with black opaques and black shoe-boots smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now