Talk

Advanced search

What do I wear with this skirt?

(15 Posts)
Mendeleyev Sun 16-Nov-14 13:56:39

Just that really! It's a teal/turquoise colour. Spots are definitely white. It is made of a sheer material, with soft pleats, lined so you can't see through it. Just on the knee lengthwise. I've never worked out what top or shoes to wear with it so although I love it, I've rarely worn it. I'm trying to work out whether to keep it or ditch it as I'm having a clear out. Any ideas? TIA.

capsium Sun 16-Nov-14 14:02:02

I would wear it with black top & opaque black tights (rather 6th form 90s, I know, but I still like this look).

Mendeleyev Sun 16-Nov-14 14:11:28

That's what I went for initially. It really looked awful though. I think the skirt is so bright and swishy that it looks odd with the opaques. I prefer it with no tights or sheer naturals. Don't know what to wear on my feet though or what style of black or other colour top to put with it.

Littlemoocow Sun 16-Nov-14 14:15:33

I do t know what your personal style is but I would wear it with a grey tshirt and flip flops in the summer

Mendeleyev Sun 16-Nov-14 14:19:40

Hmm. That's an idea. I've always thought of it as a winter skirt to be worn with tights and boots but maybe I need to just treat it as a summer skirt. Funny how you don't see what's in front of you! It would probably look nice with a black vest top or a little black blouse? I tend not to do grey as it washes me out. I shouldn't really do black either but I can get away with it if I'm a bit tanned or gots lots of make up on.

SoMuchForSubtlety Sun 16-Nov-14 14:21:34

Do you like a preppy look? I can imagine it with nude ballet flats and a white blouse with a Peter Pan collar tucked in.

WowserBowser Sun 16-Nov-14 14:21:55

6th form 90s

Haha! So true. I like the look but I think ^ ^ puts me off sometimes.

Littlemoocow Sun 16-Nov-14 14:23:15

I agree with pp about white, I think that would be better than black. Maybe black is the problem you've been having with it?

Abra1d Sun 16-Nov-14 14:25:45

Grey opaques? Berry opaques?
White/grey/ivory shirt?

carlywurly Sun 16-Nov-14 14:27:14

I wouldn't put it with black or wear in winter tbh.

I'd probably wear it with a white vest top and tan flat sandals in summer.

Littlemoocow Sun 16-Nov-14 14:29:29

Ditch the black op, there's your answer!

FamiliesShareGerms Sun 16-Nov-14 19:13:42

I'd go with a white top - possibly with a small collar

Mendeleyev Tue 18-Nov-14 06:34:27

Forgotten I'd started this blush I'm more of a lurker. I can do preppy SoMuch I have some nude loafers that would go. I think the White blouse is a good idea and something to try. If that doesn't work, I'll have to try it as a summer skirt with a white vest. Thanks all.

Floisme Tue 18-Nov-14 07:19:48

I had a skirt just like that, op only brown with white spots. It was 'See by Chloe' from TK Maxx and I thought I'd got a real bargain, well it would have been if I'd ever worn it blush I was surprised at how tricky it was to style but you've got some good tips here - I'm trying to remember whether I kept mine now!

velourvoyageur Tue 18-Nov-14 08:11:17

Aw, I like that OP, very cute!

I'd be boring and put a plain grey tank on, tucked in, and possibly chelsea boots or lightweight richelieu type shoes. Would also carry a thin baggy jumper around, probably gray or black.

I live in skirts like that in the summer. American Apparel does nice swishy skirts btw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now