Talk

Advanced search

IPL hair removal

(17 Posts)
Cornonthecob Sun 16-Nov-14 11:11:36

Thinking of getting my underarms sorted, but honestly how painful is it? Anyone had it done? Did it work, how painful? how many sessions did you need and is it worth it? Thanks

SunshineAndShadows Sun 16-Nov-14 12:43:29

Works well on dark hair with pale skin. I had six sessions and need occasional top ups. Its uncomfortable - like someone twanging an elastic band but its bearable. Worth it I think

PickledInAJar Sun 16-Nov-14 12:57:04

I paid for a course of 5 and it made no difference. They gave a consultation first and said I for the criteria, but when I complained it hadn't worked they said they've invested in an updated machine that works even better.

I didn't go back to find out. But I bought a Philips lumina home kit and that's made a difference. Only problem is it's a tiny bit patchy (possibly technique? Although being somewhat a perfectionist I would be surprised!) and it's advertises as not permanent so needs topping up every 1-2 months.

Bottom line is, make sure the machine is the most up to date!

Maverick66 Sun 16-Nov-14 13:15:11

In my experience you need to look for a salon that uses a medical grade laser such Alexandrite Machine results are best on dark hair but a good therapist will advise you on this. Under arms should take about six sessions with occasional top ups say once every 3 months.

TwoLittleTerrors Sun 16-Nov-14 15:36:17

I used the lumea. I think I bought it about 2 years ago. I'm basically hairless now on my legs, arms and underarms. I probably needs a top up every 3 months or less on the underarms. I cant remember the last time I did my arms or legs.

I have black hair so fits the criteria well.

Primrose123 Sun 16-Nov-14 15:41:58

I'm thinking of getting the Lumea. I have two teenage DDs so we would all use it, and I wouldn't have to pay for them to have their legs waxed! I use an epilator, but only on my legs, I don't think I could do my underarms.

Twolittleterrors, is it as painful as waxing or epilating?

Cornonthecob Sun 16-Nov-14 16:01:10

Thanks ladies more research then....

mrsdimmock Sun 16-Nov-14 16:43:25

I had IPL on bikini line/ under arms and am now having it done on my chin/upper lip.

Tis truly marvellous, under arms smarts a bit more as you have a large gland there, but to be honest, nothing too bad.

TwoLittleTerrors Sun 16-Nov-14 16:56:39

primose I found it much better than waxing. I am useless with the epilator and keep snapping the hair into halves instead of pulling the roots. I think the lumea is my best beauty buy ever.

Primrose123 Sun 16-Nov-14 17:38:49

Thank you Twolittleterrors I might see if I can find a Christmas or new year bargain!

Arlagirl Sun 16-Nov-14 17:42:07

I have had legs and bikini line done. Marvellous.

iwantgin Sun 16-Nov-14 19:40:48

i had laser done a good few years ago. That worked.

Since then I have had a little regrowth - nothing major just a few strays However i had a Groupon voucher so booked in for a course of IPL. I don't think it has done much actually. If you can go for laser rather than IPL you may get better results. I am quite disappointed with mine. Fair enoug, I didn't pay much - but had to travel to the next town each time.

Cornonthecob Sun 16-Nov-14 20:34:51

Kgb (ncrown) deals doing an extra 25% off local deals which for IPL, £89 - 25% a good deal! But think I'll hold out for laser, thanks!

hollyisalovelyname Sun 16-Nov-14 20:56:47

Would the Philips Lumea work on fair chin hairs?

TwoLittleTerrors Mon 17-Nov-14 12:26:11

holly the lumea works on dark pigment on hair (and skin). That is the reason why it works only for people with dark hair and fair skin. I don't know how fair is your chin hair. Is it visibly dark brown to black, and it's just sparse so looks 'fair'. Or you mean it's actually light brown or blonde?

hydeparkhottie Mon 17-Nov-14 13:05:14

I have the phillips tria that I got from all my harrods rewards...and I've been using it for a month and it's REALLY good. I've already seen a massive reduction after just two sessions.

hollyisalovelyname Mon 17-Nov-14 16:28:53

It's blonde.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now