Talk

Advanced search

Black with a bright - too '90s?

(53 Posts)
PlantsAndFlowers Sun 16-Nov-14 02:47:12

Planning on wearing black pencil skirt with bright pink jumper - but once saw on Trinny and Susannah them saying that wearing black basics with a bright top was really 90s.

Now I'm not saying that T&S are my style gurus or anything like that, god forbid! But it's stuck with me and I'm wondering - am I dated without even realising?

coffeenut Sun 16-Nov-14 03:14:23

I think it depends how you style it, the type of skirt etc. I can see how a black skirt with a block colour top might be a bit dated but not necessarily so (IMO)

Fairyliz Sun 16-Nov-14 07:39:16

Think it depends on your colouring. I am a jewel winter and suit high contrast so I think black/white or black/ bright looks good on me.
If you suit more muted colours it might be abit too much for you.

However the main thing to consider is do you like it? If so go for it!

KeepTheCarRunning Sun 16-Nov-14 09:01:43

Not a T and S fan but I happen to agree with them on that one, I'm afraid, although black and bright could be really good if you're dark or olive skinned. If you're white pasty like megrin I would go for a different mix of colours.
I quite like navy with brights atm and dark bottle greb is also surprisingly versatile.

mooth Sun 16-Nov-14 09:31:34

I have always agreed with that advice, black with colour always looks naff unless it is really carefully handled.

saltnpepa Sun 16-Nov-14 09:41:34

really? What only wear black with black and neutrals?

KeepTheCarRunning Sun 16-Nov-14 09:45:29

Well yes essentially... Black with black, neutrals or dark colours. Brights with black can look very 90s - and not in a good way IMO. Mind, a lot of people dont suit black at all and should look for navy, grey, green etc.

Greengardenpixie Sun 16-Nov-14 10:13:20

I wear blavk with a colour! its fine and will only look dated if you wear a dated style. I sometimes wear a jade green yop and black slouchy wide legs for work. It looks fine.

Twinklestein Sun 16-Nov-14 10:13:50

I would not take style advice from a pair of transvestites in mismatched frumpery.

tethersend Sun 16-Nov-14 10:21:13

Is this the same Trinny who thinks it's a good idea to date Charles Saatchi?

PlantsAndFlowers Sun 16-Nov-14 11:50:15

I know, I know - Charles Saachi etc grin. I didn't say I love them two or anything!

I am a Clear and Cool in colour terms, so pretty confident that the brightness and the contrast is fine.

It's a bright pink cashmere jumper from Jigsaw, and the skirt is from Malene Birger.

fuckwitteryhasform Sun 16-Nov-14 11:51:27

I thought the 90s look was in?!

PlantsAndFlowers Sun 16-Nov-14 11:54:21

Oh god - don't talk about things being back in when I didn't even know they'd gone out! grin

Here we go! My first attempt at adding photos!

squoosh Sun 16-Nov-14 12:29:44

The no blacks and brights is the only piece of Trinny & Susannah advice that has ever stuck with me too OP.

Littlemoocow Sun 16-Nov-14 13:37:28

I think there's some truth in it. A lot of people wear black with any colour at all but it's not always quite right. Dark grey or navy goes much better with some colours than black, I don't think black is the magic go to colour that people think it is

PlantsAndFlowers Sun 16-Nov-14 13:49:40

Hmm, think I'll wear the black skirt with a dark green or navy jumper (starting a new job and have gone mad in Jigsaw) and wear the bright pink with a navy skirt.

PlantsAndFlowers Sun 16-Nov-14 13:54:06

To the person with the slouchy trousers and jade top - I think that sounds great btw, it's just that any pencil skirt runs the risk of mimsy secretary anyway, without adding extra potential for datedness re colour combinations.

Gunpowder Sun 16-Nov-14 14:01:44

Hmm I've thought this for the last few years but it doesn't feel wrong any more.

I think you!d have to be careful with silhouettes though. So an early '90s oversized bright fluffy jumper or roll neck with black stirrup pants and sparkly shoes - YES; Late '90s brightly coloured slim v neck with black bootcuts -NO!

PlantsAndFlowers Sun 16-Nov-14 14:04:32

Loved my black Joseph bootcuts at the time. So thrilled when I got slim enough to fit into a Large (size 10/12!) But yes, the 'look' you're describing there is exactly what I want to avoid.

Gunpowder Sun 16-Nov-14 14:10:21

I LOVED my black Joseph boot cut trousers too! I saved up for them for months and wore them till the bottoms got frayed. smile

Littlemoocow Sun 16-Nov-14 14:21:07

Great 90s clothing references there! I can picture that look now. For me though, it's not just about it looking dated though, it's about what goes better. I've worked with loads of people on offices who own a few pairs of black trousers or skirts and match them with a different colour blouse or jumper each day. I think it just looks "no effort" and by that I don't mean effortless. On the other hand a mustard top with navy trou looks fab, or a pink top with berry coloured bottoms. Or light grey top with dark grey trou, or red top with grey bottoms. I could go on and on, I love colour combinations but very few involve black. I tend to save black to go with white, grey, silver, bottle green, navy.

I like bright pink with black Here. T&S looked/look bloody awful most of the time, so I wouldn't listen to a word they said tbh.

SuperFlyHigh Sun 16-Nov-14 15:39:33

I had a bright blue/turquoise sheer Karen millen too in 1999/2000s period that I wore with black skirt/ trousers then I was young and skinny and gorgeous then

SuperFlyHigh Sun 16-Nov-14 15:39:49

Top not too!

Gunpowder Sun 16-Nov-14 15:46:42

Ooh Remus I like that look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now