Talk

Advanced search

Help with working wardrobe

(10 Posts)
suzib Sat 15-Nov-14 23:01:06

I've always had a uniform, now I've got a new job and I need a smart casual clothes. I live in jeans. I'm so rubbish at this styling and I'm in tears here trying to find clothes that look good on me. Please someone help me!

I'm a lumpy curvy size 14 and don't want to feel too 'suited' but stylish at the same time.

QueenofLouisiana Sun 16-Nov-14 07:51:26

Congratulations on the new job! I'm a lumpy curvy 14. I wear wrap dresses or ones that have the same shape- v neck and something yo define the waist. The last one I bought was from White Stuff.
What sort of job is it?

Mrsgrumble Sun 16-Nov-14 07:57:21

Wold you try something like peg trousers (asos), fitted top and little cardi or blouse

Try H&m until you get a style you like

Ememem84 Sun 16-Nov-14 08:41:41

Have a browse on Pinterest. Then eBay.

I'd second peg trousers. And a top.

carrie74 Sun 16-Nov-14 08:48:48

Have a look at theworkwearedit for some ideas x

deXavia Sun 16-Nov-14 08:54:06

I have recently started to get the idea of dresses.. Yes, sadly took me over 40 years but there you go. They are brilliant, no need to match stuff - simply stick the dress on, shoes and done.
But if it's got you in tears, the I say book in some where like a John Lewis for someone to help. They will let you try a 101 different styles til you find something that works for you.

r2d2ismyidealman Sun 16-Nov-14 09:34:48

I went to dresses several years ago for the ease, is great. Now I'm doing tops and trousers in a specific colour spectrum so that it all matches and is equally quick but requires less of a taut tummy!

suzib Sun 16-Nov-14 17:54:54

Thank you so much ladies.

It's a teaching job, in a college.

I managed to get a personal shopper at john lewis. Got trousers, four tops and a dress, so I'm really pleased. Not sure how to style the dress yet, but I'll get a pic and post it on here.

I'd love peg leg, but they don't suit my massive hips and spindly ankles. The trousers I got were straightish/wide leg and sat on my waist. I learnt that tucking my blouses in actually looks better on me, rather than leaving them out.

I had a look on workwearedit - that's helpful, I will follow for ideas. White stuff looks nice too.

Thank you for all your suggestions. I feel a hundred times bettersmile

suzib Sun 16-Nov-14 18:14:38

That's the dress. I'd wear with black tights.. What shoes/boots?

BigPawsBrown Sun 16-Nov-14 18:17:15

Very easy to fall into no shape black or grey trousers and tops, but I'd avoid that with cigarette pants or chiffon tops always look very "now" and nice. Second wrap dressed, Oasis always have good ones, you want it to hit on the knee. Next also do lovely dressed that look like a skirt and top but aren't. I find it really fun to wear feminine office wear and it gets me in the mood for work smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now