Talk

Advanced search

Oh bollox I have 'mum hair' again

(14 Posts)

Had a short bob, with long side fringe in the summer.. now massively tatty and in need of cutting. Fringe a bit split from straighteners.

So, I let the hairdresser cut me a full fringe, hoping for a choppy bob. It's not her fault.. I'm crap at describing what I want, but basically I now have an Anna Wintour bob and look like my own mother!

I don't want to get more cut off as I am trying to grow it... any ideas how I can make it look a bit less boring ? (not long enough to tie back.. it's still very short!)

lostinindia Sat 15-Nov-14 21:35:01

Layers in back to fluff it up?

Sicaq Sat 15-Nov-14 21:54:46

You can try that volumising powder to mess it up a bit and give it volume. Or use hairspray or salt spray to scrunch it up a bit and add texture. Basically mess it up a bit! Google Debbie Harry pictures for how to carry off a messy bob.

(I'm in a similar phase but mine is a result of growing out a flapper bob. I look frumpy rather than flappery until I chuck a ton of texturising product in. And stay away from naked flames grin)

velourvoyageur Sun 16-Nov-14 06:44:59

Use straighteners to flick the ends out a bit?
Like this (scroll down and she has chin length hair) (sorry DF link)

I bet it looks fine Medusa, don't worry!

I'll try scrunching it a bit. Volume is not a problem..I have very thick hair, which unfortunately lends itself to looking like a lego woman... in fact I'm now exactly that..

WHY is it at the exact moment that the scissors go 'SNIP' that I remember I really really don't suit a fringe?!?!!?

This is me !

MyFirstName Sun 16-Nov-14 11:38:19

Maybe try lots of dramatic eye make up. I have curly hair and a bit like you, sometimes I forget that the "Maybe make some of the layers a bit shorter" equals a pouffe of mum-hair. So yep, texture and then distraction with lots of glam flicky eyeliner and tons of mascara help balance it.

You have my sympathy. wink

Arlagirl Sun 16-Nov-14 16:46:25

Lol @ Lego hair smile

Nerf Sun 16-Nov-14 17:02:36

Just quiff the top

cardamomginger Sun 16-Nov-14 17:04:06

I too sported The Anna. Let it settle for a bit. When you next go back you could try an angled fringe with a parting, so it's not as severe and she could chop into the sides to break it up a bit.

Bobs can take a while to get right.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 16-Nov-14 17:25:13

I had to Google Anna Wintour and erm I have to agree that's a look I wouldn't choose myself.

Though I did get a haircut a few years back that made me look like Wendolene Ramsbottom from Wallace'n'Grommit <weeps at memory>

Arlagirl Sun 16-Nov-14 17:45:02

I have a choppy bob which I can't have one length as it is too flat.
The fringe is always a tense moment...I have a very low forehead and if it's too short it looks ludicrous.
I err on too long and pop back every couple of weeks for a thinning out

NeitherHereOrThere Sun 16-Nov-14 18:11:22

Try adding waves by twisting strands of damp hair and then when dry, shake it all out to make it look like a messy bob - google wavy bobs and you will see what I mean wink

Castlemilk Sun 16-Nov-14 18:20:03

Argh terrible tales like these are why my hair is simply growing and growing. There is nowhere to turn. What do I want? Cool great hair. How do I describe that? I can't.

mixedpeel Sun 16-Nov-14 19:35:07

Yes, castlemilk, couldn't agree more. All we ask is cool great hair.

As the formula for this is yet to be discovered, my barnet remains very much not cool not great just longish.

Gah.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now