Talk

Advanced search

Salicylic Acid Peel Questions

(30 Posts)
LackingCommonSense Sat 15-Nov-14 19:34:58

My peel has arrived! it smells scary and I'm nervous but excited at the same time!

I'm not sure if it should be used in conjunction with anything I'm using at the moment though?

I'm currently using the Effacler Duo face wash, toner and gel /serum twice a day and the Dr has given me zineryt lotion (which I hate).

Should I hold off on using any of this on the day of my peel? or would I be ok using it all in the morning and peeling in the evening?

It says to use a good moisturiser - is nivea blue pot ok?

Tia all grin

Kundry Sat 15-Nov-14 20:09:44

I use mine after cleanser and then don't bother with toner, serum etc that day. Just moisturiser when finished.

It does tingle a bit and the acid sometimes goes straight up your nose.

If you have acne (which given you have Zineryt and are using Effaclar and salicylic I presume you have) the Nivea blue pot will be doing you no good at all - it's packed with oil and is a pore clogging machine.

After you've used the gel/serum do you feel like you need moisturiser too? It's totally OK not to. Cleanse, tone and moisturise is a myth made up to make us buy more products.

If you feel you do then you need something non-acnegenic, non-comedogenic and oil-free. Cetaphil or Cerave moisturiser or anything from the Effaclar range would be good.

In the day you should be using an SPF as you skin is exfoliated and I usually think the SPF is moisturising enough. I use Cerave SPF.

LackingCommonSense Sat 15-Nov-14 20:14:50

Thanks Kundry.. I don't usually use anything after the Effacler gel but thought I should use something different after the peel. I'll look into both of those then! Have just done a patch test and so far so good smile

Kundry Sat 15-Nov-14 20:16:39

Where did you get your peel from?

LackingCommonSense Sat 15-Nov-14 20:25:33

Amazon?

LackingCommonSense Sat 15-Nov-14 20:26:58

It's AS. Has good reviews. I got a 20% one.

Kundry Sat 15-Nov-14 20:37:49

I've got the SR Skincare 20% one. It says 6-7 minutes weekly for 6 weeks but I've completely ignored that and do once a week for 10 minutes grin

LackingCommonSense Sat 15-Nov-14 20:39:45

This one says start at 1min increasing by a minute each time up to a max 7.

I'm anxious to get to it now but will wait for the patch test!

LackingCommonSense Sat 15-Nov-14 21:31:04

I've ordered the Cerave sun cream, but which moisturiser is it? or will the suncream be ok as a moisturiser anyway?

Clarabumps Sat 15-Nov-14 22:40:01

Ooh, did someone say peel?

<pulls up chair>

<applies spf>

Kundry Sat 15-Nov-14 22:50:16

Cerave will be moisturising anyway so you likely won't need a separate one in the day.

Justgotosleepnow Sat 15-Nov-14 22:53:18

Wow you really need to wear SPF 30 after a peel, for at least week. If you don't you will get sun damage. Which will show up as age spots ie hyperpigmentation, sooner or later.
SPF SPF SPF grin

LackingCommonSense Sun 16-Nov-14 08:03:25

Ok so I'll peel in the morning, apply spf and then my make up as usual? Then usual routine in the evening? Does that sound ok?

Yes there's a peel virgin here keen to get cracking! waiting for my suncream to arrive first!

Justgotosleepnow Sun 16-Nov-14 08:55:04

I would do it at night and let your skin recover overnight. Don't wash it & slap on SPF then makeup & off you go!

LackingCommonSense Sun 16-Nov-14 09:09:17

So don't moisturise before bed?

Clarabumps Sun 16-Nov-14 09:21:27

I'm not sure about regular peels but I know with Alpha H you don't moisturise after it as it continues to work for hours after.

Kundry Sun 16-Nov-14 09:24:33

I do mine at night before bed. I do moisturise because the packet did tell me not to and TBH my skin feels practically squeaky after.

Think the work peel is misleading though as it makes the product sound more dramatic and scary than it really is.

LackingCommonSense Sun 16-Nov-14 09:27:12

I'm really excited grin d'you reckon I'll see a difference after the first one or will it take a couple of peels?

Greengardenpixie Sun 16-Nov-14 10:39:00

Im excited for you! Keep us all posted. I googled it and was reading someone else's diary. Dont over do it leaving plenty of time for skin to recover inbetween as she did it to soon and had terrible break outs. Bear in mind from what I've read that your skin will peel badly and you may not wish to have any important appointments! !!!

Justgotosleepnow Sun 16-Nov-14 13:40:07

Oh yes moisturise as much as you need to. Yours is a kit isn't it? There should be a moisturiser in it, if not just slap on your regular day or night moisturiser.

LackingCommonSense Sun 16-Nov-14 17:40:26

No, no moisturiser in this one it just says use a 'good moisturiser'..will be peeling as soon as my suncream arrives which should hopefully be tmw! grin

Kundry Sun 16-Nov-14 18:02:21

I have never had any noticeable 'skin peeling'. A minor bit of redness on starting but that's it.

You do get breakouts initially as any spots lurking around will be brought out. I also got some odd spots in areas I never get spots but they were v tiny ones rather than the giant lumps IYKWIM.

They aren't supposed to actually peel your skin like a proper dermatologist applied peel would.

LackingCommonSense Mon 17-Nov-14 16:36:21

Yay my suncream has arrived! peeling tonight ladies, wish me luck!

LackingCommonSense Mon 17-Nov-14 19:13:02

It stung more than I expected! Couldn't wait to get the neutraliser on..

AnnieLobeseder Mon 17-Nov-14 19:16:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now