Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know about highlights?

(14 Posts)
Littlemoocow Sat 15-Nov-14 15:36:32

I have darkish brown hair going grey. About 6 weeks ago I had light ashy highlights for the first time put in to help with the grey. It looked great and I loved it. Today I've been back for a cut and colour touch up. I had no idea what to expect as like I say, I'd never had highlights before. I didn't know whether she was going to do foils again or what she would do. Anyway, she mixed up the colour and put it all over my roots, waited for it to develop, washed it off, mixed the remaining dye with some silver something or other and put that on all over for a few minutes to tone down any brassiness.
The end result is now that I can't see the highlights anymore, my hair looks one solid brown colour again. Why is this? I assumed that she was putting the blond colour on today, but now I'm wondering if she's put the base brown colour on. What do you think? Surely she can't have used the brown colour rather than the blond highlight colour?? How do hairdressers normally do this? I guess it might fade so you can see the highlights again, but right now, I'm worried that I've paid all this money to have highlights in the first place and the second time I go, she's put me back to solid brown.

Frusso Sat 15-Nov-14 15:41:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Littlemoocow Sat 15-Nov-14 15:44:16

Thanks. I just can't understand why she would do the roots brown rather than blond. If she's done them blond then it would have covered the white roots, but doing it brown surely just covers all the highlights?

Frusso Sat 15-Nov-14 15:48:09

Littlemoocow Sat 15-Nov-14 15:51:20

Yes it was the same hairdresser. I didn't specify anything as I had no idea how highlights would be touched up, being new to highlights. I assumed that touchin up colour would be the same colour as used before, ie brown and blond. I'm annoyed now as it just doesn't make any sense at all why she would do the brown colour. I should have said something when she'd dried it shouldn't i.

Littlemoocow Sat 15-Nov-14 16:16:05

So basically I've paid 80 quid to get highlights, then 70 to get them covered. I should complain shouldn't i

Frusso Sat 15-Nov-14 16:30:06

Littlemoocow Sat 15-Nov-14 16:33:05

I didn't say touch up. I booked in for cut and highlights and when I went in she said she didn't think I needed foils this time, probably only every 3rd time. I'm just going to have the white skunk stripe at my parting again now aren't i. Grrr. I'm going to have to ring on Monday and aska for the foil highlights to be put back in again, for free! I wonder how that will go down but I'm really not happy. Why on earth would she give me solid dark brown colour again?!

Saurus72 Sat 15-Nov-14 16:38:40

That's the weirdest thing I've ever heard (at least in relation to highlights wink ). I have been having highlights for the past 15 years, and have only ever had foils. I wonder if she just forget what she was supposed to do, and now is trying to 'style it out' by giving you some flannel about the brown painted on colour. I wouldn't go back to that hairdresser.

Littlemoocow Sat 15-Nov-14 16:48:44

It IS weird isn't it. She did the highlights originally so so well, I was really pleased. Just gutted now as I can't afford to waste £70

Littlemoocow Sat 15-Nov-14 16:56:20

So I've just rung her. She said she did put the dark brown colour on roots but only toner over the rest and this will fade. She said I could go back for some more foils if it doesn't fade which I probably will. Not sure at all how putting brown on the roots helps me though as it will show my grey more.

SuperFlyHigh Sat 15-Nov-14 17:04:07

Stick to your guns if you're not happy OP and get what you want as you've paid a lot!

I have highlights and slight grey at side of hairline and I've had to point out how I want it done as so many hairdressers even if I ask them have ignored that area. I'm picky tho and if not done how I like it (after me saying) I'll go elsewhere. I'm London area so easier.

Littlemoocow Sat 15-Nov-14 17:07:52

It's so hard isn't it. The thought of going elsewhere and trying someone else out at great cost isn't appealing.

SuperFlyHigh Sat 15-Nov-14 17:10:15

OP i would get her to redo.... In your case.

I think at long last I've found my perfect colourist but she listened and also gave me a free fringe trim when I went in for a colour consultation!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now