Talk

Advanced search

Help me style this evening dress for a black tie gala dinner

(6 Posts)
Liveinthepresent Sat 15-Nov-14 14:34:05

Help!
I am going to a big work event in two weeks time - black tie awards ceremony and gala dinner.
Have hired this dress - but it doesn't look this amazing on me as I am overweight, out of date and my age starts with a 4. smile
I will see loads of people that I haven't seen since pre DC when I looked much better so need to feel confident I have done my best.
I have no accessories for evening wear - shoes bag etc as I never do anything like this these days.
Can anyone help me please - shoes are the main thing as I dont think the dress needs much jewellery.
I would prefer high street stuff that I can order online or try on easily.
Happy to spend a bit as long as the shoes are versatile - high heels good but need reasonable comfort levels as am out of practice!
TIA

FauxFox Sat 15-Nov-14 17:05:44

these heels are not too high and a classic shape - you could do gold glitter, red, pink, pewter or even the leopard...

MimiSunshine Sat 15-Nov-14 17:39:40

I would keep the jewellery to statement earrings and a cuff / wide bracelet in black I.e. Jet or imitation. Go for a black clutch but not leather, something like velvet or suede I.e. Keep everything black but in luxe materials.
That way you'll feel 'safe' and confident but it'll look expensive.

The shoes fauxfox suggested in black sparkle can be worn with jeans, trousers etc so you'll get loads of wear out if them

Liveinthepresent Sun 16-Nov-14 07:35:51

Thanks for the replies - those do look good fauxfox and I can try them later today.
You saved me from myself as I had been looking at LK Bennett shoes for £££

Good advice mimi I remembered I do have several black evening bags - it will involve sending DH up to our loft to hunt for them though! Fingers crossed I find a hidden treasure.

GlitterySparkleChops Sun 16-Nov-14 08:59:49

If you're not brilliant at doing your own hair, get it professionally done by a trusted hairdresser.... It'll make you feel a million quid. I'd go with pewter accessories too.

Liveinthepresent Sun 16-Nov-14 22:40:22

Thanks glittery already on the case with hair as I know it makes a massive difference to how I feel.
Tried the Dune shoes on today - they are very nice but I am going to keep looking in case I find something else..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now