Talk

Advanced search

Any hairdressers out there I need some advice about hair dye greys and colour b4 :)

(4 Posts)
olaflikeswarmhugs Fri 14-Nov-14 13:38:11

Ok so I had naturally black (well darkest brown really) hair but now that I'm almost completely grey I put a black dye on my roots every two weeks and have done for about 5 years .

I really want to dye my hair pastel, specifically lilac . So I have two questions :

Will colourb4 work and lift the black dye off my hair ?
If it does will a lilac dye take yo grey hair ?

Thanks smile

Catswiththumbs Fri 14-Nov-14 13:55:19

I'm not a hairdresser!

Surely best way to go lilac would be to strip the colour out, you will probably end up ginger, bleach it then use a toner on your hair blue rinse style

I had to bleach mine from blonde to white then used directions. It's hard to get right, and can go patchy depending on the condition of your hair- how porous etc.

It's such a drastic change I would leave it to a professional. Black dye (especially build up) is a nightmare to strip out without breaking your hair off.

Milmingebag Fri 14-Nov-14 13:58:38

Not a hairdressers but know enough to advise.

With that level of dye build up you are at best going to get bright ginger hair from colorb4- even though you are white/grey because of the staining and peroxide used in dyes to fix the colour.

Repeated bleaching is your only hope but that will leave the hair brassy,porous and weak. You might get away with it if you cut your hair really short, bleach out as much colour as possible and then dye lilac.

I would say though that your chances of success are slim so I wouldn't do it.

olaflikeswarmhugs Fri 14-Nov-14 18:11:04

I thought that would be the case colourb4 seemed too good to be true ! grin

I don't really want to go down the bleaching route because of the expense and upkeep . I'm just really fed up of having the same coloured hair all the time sad

I'd love ombré but with my roots coming in all quick it would be far too much work sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now