Talk

Advanced search

I need recommendations for good basic tops to go under everything.

(21 Posts)
aglassofpinotsolvesit Fri 14-Nov-14 09:27:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OddFodd Fri 14-Nov-14 09:28:24

Uniqlo

Iamblossom Fri 14-Nov-14 09:30:04

Primark. I buy loads from there in every colour possible and wear them all the time. Am wearing a grey one today.

Iggly Fri 14-Nov-14 09:30:06

Are the holes from washing or is there a chance you have moths?

Nicename Fri 14-Nov-14 09:30:25

Primark! Cheap as chips, lots of colours and usually come in cotton of Lycra.

Iamblossom Fri 14-Nov-14 09:30:29

Also got a couple from next.

ClaraMaugham Fri 14-Nov-14 09:30:33

This might be a bit weird, but last year I bought some Uniqlo long sleeved thermal tops (thinking they would keep me warm). I find them great for layering, although pretty useless as thermals. They're very thin and stretchy and so far are in as good condition as when I bought them. They come in lots of colours too - at least they did last year, I presume they still have them.

mowglik Fri 14-Nov-14 09:34:03

Primark and H&M - still wearing my H&M black long sleeved tees from 5 years ago

Sonotkylie Fri 14-Nov-14 09:34:05

Boden long sleeve t shirts are really good quality and warm. About £20 although usually offers floating around. Uniqlo heat tech are good too. I am never lucky in Primark - they hide all the colours I want when they see me coming!
Jigsaw seem to have quality issues generally, which is a shame as I love some of their stuff.

carrie74 Fri 14-Nov-14 09:35:27

Gap super soft long sleeve Ts. Wear them every day.

ATailofTwoKitties Fri 14-Nov-14 09:40:43

If they're going through into tiny holes near the belly button, are they rubbing on the fly of your jeans? Mine seem to wear through tops just there.

Rafaella Fri 14-Nov-14 09:40:55

These Gap ones are brilliant - I bought several last year and have just got some more. They're really soft and wash well, warm and cosy. www.gap.co.uk/browse/product.do?cid=57349&vid=1&pid=000989112016

zipzap Fri 14-Nov-14 09:42:53

For when it's cold I like the m&s heatgen tshirts - very fine and slightly thermal, usually nice simple shapes.

For ordinary thickness ones, Sainsburys have some great plain / simple tshirts. I've got lots a few now in assorted colours, long and short sleeves and vest tops. They're great as they're often a bit longer to start with, are nice fabric, the colours don't seem to fade and they still look good - even the old black one I've had for at least 4 years and is still going strong.

You have to hunt around through the rails for them a bit though - there are often some rather strange 'fashion' tshirts and tops that get more prominence but the basics are there and worth finding.

Oh and the best bit - they're £4-10 each usually. I used to like the 25% off weeks as well to make them even cheaper until I realised that if you left buying something you liked until it came around (every 4-6 weeks) there would be a high chance you'd missed it.

I wish Sainsburys sold their clothes online - would be great as they're much better quality than the asda and tesco ones!

alfieandanniesmum Fri 14-Nov-14 10:58:23

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Arlagirl Fri 14-Nov-14 11:03:56

Esprit and Uniqlo. Mint velvet good too.
Re holes...might be prong on belt?

burnishedsilver Fri 14-Nov-14 13:40:33

Primark are hit and miss. They seem to get regular deliveries. One week their tees will be great quality, another week they'll be too thin and cheep looking. When they're good they're very good.

H&M are more consistent.

Tees from Mexx and M&S ended up with the holes you're talking about.

Pandsbear Fri 14-Nov-14 14:58:14

Yes yes to Uniqlo heattech tops. Primark sometimes successful but mostly scooped necks in there at the moment and too draughty round my neck! M&S black thermal long sleeve vest is what I have on today under a short sleeve jumper.

Nicename Fri 14-Nov-14 15:45:47

I have a million scarves in all fabrics, colours and patterns. I always have one wrapped around my neck! I do have quite a swam neck though (long, skinny and very very white) so they hide that a bit.

Maybe check Amazon? I get fruit of the loom and Russell t shirts for school there at a fraction of the uniform shops. Maybe they have long sleeved ones.

Dancingqueen17 Fri 14-Nov-14 19:55:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hiccupgirl Fri 14-Nov-14 21:55:38

Thirding the M&S Heatgen ones - I've just discovered these and they are fantastic. Good scoop necks, nice length sleeves that don't stretch out and lots of different colours for layering. £15 each but hopefully will last.

Notcontent Fri 14-Nov-14 22:07:08

Uniqlo heat tech tops are my winter basic. I wear them nearly every day, under dresses, jumpers, etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now