Talk

Advanced search

So i got crapped out by my hairdresser...

(15 Posts)
murphys Fri 14-Nov-14 07:42:10

She tells me I have completely stuffed up my hair by using shop bought colour. I have to agree with her. It used to be all soft and shiny and I could blow dry it easily. Its not like that now. And why, because I keep dying it because I cant stand this horrible orange glow that I permanently seem to have.

I had never coloured my hair until about two years ago. I have to say I think it was the biggest mistake ever. I cannot abide seeing different colour roots, so when the roots starting showing, I would dye it again (about 6 weeks, sometimes 4...)

So she says I need treatments (protein and moisture) and then to get a salon colour, then roots only in 2nd month, then full colour again. Argh I don't want to keep colouring it, my natural colour isn't all that bad anyway (auburny brown). No matter what colour I put on it or what coloured shampoo I use, within a week or so, it seems to have 'washed out' .

As a last resort I put the non permanent Clairol on the other day which washes out in 25 or so washes, been washed two times and its washed out already. So although it was an ash colour, the flipping orange is back again.

It feels like I am in a vicious circle now. I just want my normal natural hair back again. Without cutting the whole lot off, what else can I do??

The colours I would home dye with were usually always a brown shade which I tried to get the closest to my natural colour. Its not even like I was bleaching it blonde or anything like that....

I know there are worse dilemma's in life, but I hate the way I look right now because of my hair...

MuttonCadet Fri 14-Nov-14 07:45:24

I messed up my hair by going to a crappy salon. My hair went orange and brittle, it was awful and only a few months before my wedding.

I found a wonderful colourist who treated my hair with toners and a trauma treatment and oil treatments. It was expensive, but I've got better hair now than ever. The products I use are made by l'anza, but I'm sure there's plenty of others out there.

burnishedsilver Fri 14-Nov-14 08:18:52

I get loreal diacolour done at the salon. It last longer than a regular semi and it leaves my hair feeling soft and natural. Stick with near your natural colour as you grow out the part you've damaged and any only greys you might have will have roots. There should be no straight line of roots.

foxybingodotcom Fri 14-Nov-14 08:22:06

Could you try something like this? It's got good reviews in Boots.

gamerchick Fri 14-Nov-14 08:24:33

I've been dying my hair with a permanent every month for years and years and my hair isn't ruined. There are ways to care for your hair and make the colour last longer.

However it sounds as if you need to grow it out, get it cut off and start again.

OwlCapone Fri 14-Nov-14 08:26:22

Can you get the salon to dye it to your natural colour and then let it grow out?

RedButtonhole Fri 14-Nov-14 08:29:13

I destroyed my lovely hair when I was younger by dying it black. I had to have my hair "stripped" to get rid of it then they died it back as close to my natural colour as they could get but the only thing that really solved the problem was getting it lopped off a.couple of weeks ago. Can you really not stand to cut it?

MioMoo Fri 14-Nov-14 08:30:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PrimalLass Fri 14-Nov-14 08:34:57

I've used Nice n Easy colour for years and my hairdresser always says that it's a great colour and my hair is in good condition.

carrie74 Fri 14-Nov-14 09:34:10

My natural hair colour sounds similar and mine also tends to a brassy tone after dying even when only using ash (and mine is done professionally). I've started using aveda black malva every so often and it takes out the brass instantly. Worth a try?

CrazyLadyAtNumber31 Fri 14-Nov-14 10:32:55

Ohhhh.... I have this same problem.... Carrie.... Do you use the black malva shampoo or conditioner? I have been thinking about getting this for ages but it's so ££.

PeppermintInfusion Fri 14-Nov-14 11:40:12

Tell the hairdresser (or a different one) that you want to go back to natural. I did the same (and my hair is a similar colour to yours), got a good whack off to get rid of the over dyed ends, then all over colour as close to natural hair as possible. You may need to get a few root touch ups to get the colour looking natural etc but it will start to grow out eventually. Plenty of deep conditioning yourself.
Root touch up usually costs a buoy less than the full colour, but I've definitely noticed the difference in quality of a pro dye.

NeitherHereOrThere Fri 14-Nov-14 14:15:47

ANother fan of the black malva conditioner here - most brown based hair dyes oxidises after a little while, especially when exposed to sunlight.

It is expensive but I use a 50p sized blob every few days and I save money on hair dye as i find my hair can go longer between dye jobs now.

carrie74 Fri 14-Nov-14 16:33:08

Yes, I use the black malva conditioner.

murphys Tue 18-Nov-14 08:29:47

Thanks all. I have searched high and low for Black Malva, but as I am in SA I don't think that its something we can get here. We don't get Aveda as a brand, so I am wondering if there is anything similar to this in another brand. I can get one if I order online, will set me back 116 pounds for it (the conditioner) shock

I have in the meantime though, done a home treatment with Matrix Exquisite Oil Mask, but now my hair is even more dull and limp and my scalp is horribly itchy. Its the first time I have tried it as I bought it with a set with the shampoo and the Moringa Oil, so it obviously isn't good for me.

I think that I will go the hairdresser route for the colour and root touch ups back to my natural colour, but after that I don't plan on putting a permanent colour near my hair at all!

If it were longer I would cut plenty off, but it is a short bob so I will have to live with it for a while..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now