Talk

Advanced search

How old is too old to wear a leather skirt?

(34 Posts)
Crazy8 Fri 14-Nov-14 07:12:26

I've seen lots of leather skirts in the shops and I just wondered if 47 was too old before I take the plunge and buy one. I'm a size 10/12.

Floisme Fri 14-Nov-14 07:22:47

I'm not a fan myself but not because of my age. Personally I find it's the floaty, flimsy fabrics that suit me less as I get older so leather should work well as it has a bit of substance and structure.

In fact I think I've just persuaded myself to go and try one on grin

BlueEyedWonder Fri 14-Nov-14 07:26:02

Well I don't really believe in the "too old" school of thought.
But I do believe in the "does it suit" school of thought.
There's lots of leather or pleather skirts out there in different cuts and lengths and I would go and try some on and see what works.
I have an above the knee one that is full skirted. I wear it with neat tops and shirts tucked in. If I'm wearing it during the day I dress it down with flats or chunky ankle boots.

I like the mini style ones with big chunky knits too.
But there are also pencil style ones and I saw a nice midi length one in Next.

SinglePringle Fri 14-Nov-14 07:30:10

When you're dead is when you're too old.

Seriously, wear what you like and makes you feel good. I'm a similar age to you and I have a few leather clothes - pencil skirts in black and baby blue, full black one and a mini. Then three pairs of leather leggings and a pair of biker jeans.

I'm told I have good style and I wear what suits me. Go forth and shop!

NoelleHawthorne Fri 14-Nov-14 07:50:34

its not age

its loose women look

flipchart Fri 14-Nov-14 07:52:41

The skirt isn't the issue. It's what you wear it with, does it suit you etc.

Smukogrig Fri 14-Nov-14 07:55:20

Well i picture them on older women..

Smarter types of women than i am !!

Cant imagine somebody under 30 wanting a leather skirt.

southeastastra Fri 14-Nov-14 08:04:59

i have a blue leather skirt, couldn't care less if i look like a loose woman. it's fab

burnishedsilver Fri 14-Nov-14 08:07:13

At 43 I am a believer in being 'too old'. Much to my disappointment, some things just don't suit any more.

You're never too old for a leather skirt.

They are, however, harder to carry off with a rounded tummy. I'm 10/12 too but am too much of an apple for them.

Sandra Bullock is 50 and looks amazinG.

atticusclaw Fri 14-Nov-14 08:11:49

It is more about your shape than the fabric. If you have lots of lumps and bumps it will not look good. Your bumps strain the fabric and the sheen of the leather then emphasises them.

If you have a great figure then go for it.

Sonotkylie Fri 14-Nov-14 09:38:58

Not too old at all. But its tough finding one that suits. My problem is that so many at the moment are very short ... I tried one from Zara which was great but I realised that if I bent over, because it is a stiff material, it would stick out not flop down and everything would be on display. I decided that being 47 meant I was too old to train myself to bend down in a ladylike way! So I gave up and bought some shorts instead ...

keepingupwiththekhaleesi Fri 14-Nov-14 09:47:20

Classy leather pencil skirts look good at any age, leather minis/ leather skater skirts have the propensity to look tarty at any age IMHO

Crazy8 Fri 14-Nov-14 09:52:42

I like this one and would wear it with a black simple black top. www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Whistles+Kel+leather+pencil+skirt/208437198,default,pd.html

Crazy8 Fri 14-Nov-14 09:54:03

I meant to add that's it's not as short on me. It comes to a little below the knee.

Linskibinski Fri 14-Nov-14 10:05:31

I feel, unless you are Tina turner you should not wear a leather skirt. grin

Sleepwhenidie Fri 14-Nov-14 10:11:54

I love mine and I'm 41, it's maybe 2" above the knee, in summer I wear it with bare legs, a white T and ankle boots and now opaque tights, ankle boots and a chunky jumper. Very sure I don't look anything like a Loose Woman or Tina Turner grin - age isn't the issue - the skirt, the person and how it is styled is, like pretty much anything.

andsmile Fri 14-Nov-14 10:19:27

I think it depends what you wear it with. I dont think you can discount a skirt just becuase of its material. I think the length is sensible - be able to dress that up or down with boots and heel with a jumper or blouse.

I saw a women yesterday at the gym she had a great figure, but she was squeezed into a short skirt/suit and looked hideous but looked trim in her tight fitting and a bit more coverage gymwear.

I think if something fits well, suits your colouring and is not to 'out there' then you can wear whatever is on trend these days.

ClaudetteWyms Fri 14-Nov-14 10:20:48

I sooo want a leather skirt after seeing that Whistles one - who cares about age?!

I am 44 but don't have £195 so would need a cheaper one though.

Go for it if you can afford it OP.

JoanHickson Fri 14-Nov-14 10:22:25

I am not a fan of leather, above the knee skirts in the over thirties. I think Shirley from Eastenders.

burnishedsilver Fri 14-Nov-14 10:28:05

I wonder are they too warm? I couldn't wear a leather jacket indoors. Would a skirt be just as warm?

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 14-Nov-14 10:30:21

grin the words "leather skirt" brought the image of Shirley from Eastenders to my brain .

JoanHickson Fri 14-Nov-14 10:34:02

I wasn't alone then grin

ClaudetteWyms Fri 14-Nov-14 10:36:45

I don't watch EE so had to google Shirley. Her leather skirt is really short. Her "look" is a world away from Sandra Bullock's, above, who looks fabulous.

I have found this one for £80 OP I might buy it

JoanHickson Fri 14-Nov-14 10:39:35

You also see the Kardashians in leather skirts.

lurkingaround Fri 14-Nov-14 10:58:03

Well. Just to add fuel to the fire, I am now the proud owner of this plastic faux leather dress shock and I'm well in my 40s!! It is bloody lovely on me, about an inch or 2 above kneeshock, fits v well. I fricking love it!

Loose women here I come.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now