Talk

Advanced search

Bootleg jeans- will I wear them again?

(88 Posts)
Lazybones80 Fri 14-Nov-14 03:35:37

I'm having a clothes clear-out. I had a baby 5 months ago and all my pre-pregnancy clothes have just come out of a box in the garage as I finally fit in them again (yay!)
There are 4 pairs of bootleg jeans that I used to love and practically live in. But I've now converted my allegiance to skinny jeans. What should I do with the bootlegs? Is it worth keeping them? Will they come back into fashion? I'm being brutal as I'm over-run with clothes I never wear!

coffeenut Fri 14-Nov-14 03:59:58

I had one expensive pair "converted" to skinnies by a tailor and ditched the rest.

SavoyCabbage Fri 14-Nov-14 05:30:16

Even if they do come back into fashion, they won't be exactly the same as the ones you have. Chuck them.

Floisme Fri 14-Nov-14 07:16:28

If you have the space I think it's worth hanging on a bit more as skinnies won't be around for much longer. There was a time when I'd have agreed with Savoy's point but I think fashion is getting less and less original; the average designer seems to have the memory of a mayfly and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see bootlegs back.

GloriousGloria Fri 14-Nov-14 07:42:35

Make them into shorts or cropped jeans for next summer

NoelleHawthorne Fri 14-Nov-14 07:49:57

you cannot change bootlegs into skinnies

* boggles *

seams will be ALL WRONG

murphys Fri 14-Nov-14 08:05:59

I would keep them, but then again I only wear bootcut jeans. Skinnies don't suit everyone, I am just the wrong shape for them.

Bootlegs don't suit everyone either, but if they looked good on you pre-baby, chances are they still will..

burnishedsilver Fri 14-Nov-14 08:11:43

Keep the better ones. I think they're on the verge of a comeback.

Pusspuss1 Fri 14-Nov-14 09:01:57

Bin them! I have a quite expensive pair I bought quite recently, not having noticed that they were out of fashion. I HATE myself in them every time I wear them, but feel obliged to get some wear out of them and don't have enough skinnies not to wear them! Down with bootlegs, I say.

burnishedsilver Fri 14-Nov-14 09:16:29

They're out of fashion by quite a few years puss but they're creeping back into the shops recently.

clairewitchproject Fri 14-Nov-14 09:21:27

One of the advantages of being in my 40s is that I no longer give a fuck about how fashionable something is. I look like an overstuffed sausage in skinny jeans. They are not a good look on me. I have one pair of straight legs and all my other jeans are bootlegs. Since I can still find them in mainstream shops I figure that other people must still be wearing them and to be fair, I haven't yet seen anyone blanch in horror or refuse to speak to me because I am wearing them. They would blanch in horror if I walked down the street in skinny jeans....

Rosa Fri 14-Nov-14 09:22:27

Oh dear I bought a pair this summer and they look quite nice actually. I cannot do skinnies , straight possibly slim yes but not the legging / jegging skinny look...

keepingupwiththekhaleesi Fri 14-Nov-14 09:31:29

If you are being brutal then keep your one favourite pair & donate the rest to charidee smile

Lazybones80 Fri 14-Nov-14 10:16:53

Thanks for all the replies. I like Gloria's idea for making some shorts. I'll get my scissors out and start hacking!

coffeenut Sat 15-Nov-14 06:42:08

Mine were converted very successfully into skinnies. A good seamstress can do it.

SnookyPooky Sat 15-Nov-14 07:05:07

Yikes I didn't even know that they were out of fashion!
I live abroad so that's my excuse......

Dolallytats Sat 15-Nov-14 07:35:32

Are we not supposed to be wearing them any more?!?

deXavia Sat 15-Nov-14 07:53:37

Still have my Gap Long and Lean. Fashion or not they are still by far the most flattering and comfortable jeans ever...
They look great with heeled boots - so perfect time for them in the winter.

NoelleHawthorne Sat 15-Nov-14 09:09:16

I had long and lean. 16 years ago. Now they're all flappy. Lol at poster suggesting we give up in our 40s

noddyholder Sat 15-Nov-14 09:31:48

I find them much more flattering than straight or slim which seem to have no style at all. Also they go really well with all the shirts and jumpers currently in shops. I wear mine more and more

CaptainAnkles Sat 15-Nov-14 09:33:23

They're coming back. People with gigantic thighs look awful in 'skinny' jeans.

tethersend Sat 15-Nov-14 09:43:01

I bought some bootcut cords recently. Agree that they're on the verge of a comeback.

noddyholder Sat 15-Nov-14 09:44:24

www.denimblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/gisele-in-hudson-jeans.jpg this is the type I like and wear a lot

Lazybones80 Sat 15-Nov-14 10:40:39

Oooh Noddy I like those. They seem to flare from the knee so are different from the ones I have. Or maybe it's just Giselle would look good in a bin-bag...

Chumhum Sat 15-Nov-14 10:44:07

Easily converted to straight legged- having said that I have a couple of pairs of long and leans in the basement just in case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now