Talk

Advanced search

I have dry skin and I find primer makes my skin look dead!

(12 Posts)
AWholeLottaNosy Thu 13-Nov-14 19:39:00

A lot of people rave about primers and I've tried a lot but I find they're too matt for my dry skin and just make my skin look deadened and more dry. Are they really only good for oily skin? Would love a primer that made my skin look brighter, do any exist..?

AWholeLottaNosy Fri 14-Nov-14 06:30:21

Anyone?

Fabulassie Fri 14-Nov-14 06:41:44

It depends what you mean by primer. Most have a silicone base to them. But I have heard people refer to Clinique City Block as primer and it's just a sunscreen moisturiser. You might try Olay Regenerist serum: it has a silicone finish to it that makes it very silky like a primer, but is a moisturiser for dry skin.

Floisme Fri 14-Nov-14 07:08:55

I thought the purpose of primer was to help your make up last longer, not make your skin look brighter? It sounds to me like you just don't need one.

AWholeLottaNosy Fri 14-Nov-14 07:59:36

Yeah never really got the purpose of primer, but so many people seem to think it's fantastic and necessary I wanted to have a go. Maybe it's only useful for people with oily skin?

southeastastra Fri 14-Nov-14 08:08:14

i have a shu uemura mousse that doesn't feel like anything, but keeps make up on and evens out base, it's really good, worth trying if you can get to a counter

used to use smashbox but have gone off that now, too weirdy feeling!

Bunbaker Fri 14-Nov-14 08:13:37

You are putting moisturiser on underneath it aren't you? It isn't meant to be used instead of moisturiser.

I only use primer if I wear foundation and it makes a lot of difference to the way the foundation goes on top. I use moisturiser first and leave it to sink in for about 5 minutes, then I use primer followed by foundation.

MaryMarigold Fri 14-Nov-14 08:19:35

I use feel good factor by soap and glory. It's supposed to be a moisturiser, primer, sunscreen and translucent BB cream all in one! I find it very glowy and it definitely helps my make up go on more smoothly.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 14-Nov-14 11:32:05

It's not meant to brighten your skin, it's a base for make up.

Double cleansing cured my dry skin over night, it was like magic!

Lanacane anti chaff gel (same ingredients as smash box) is excellent. I've actually stopped needing it though since I started double cleansing.

Skinheadmermaid Fri 14-Nov-14 11:48:59

I use the porefessional by benefit. It just makes my skin look a bit more alive and my make up stays on for ages now. I apply it after moisturiser of course.
I'm loath to try another one as my skin is very sensitive and this doesn't react to me.

ggirl Sat 15-Nov-14 08:41:54

Try this one , it's purpose is to reflect light . Looks great if you used sparingly
http://www.boots.com/en/LOreal-Paris-Lumi-Magique-Primer-20ml_1247613/

AWholeLottaNosy Sat 15-Nov-14 20:00:41

Thanks all! Lots of new things to try ( samples only, am a bit of a sucker for looking for the perfect product )smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now