Talk

Advanced search

Foundation brush- do I need one? Can you recommend one?

(20 Posts)
dottytablecloth Thu 13-Nov-14 17:48:41

Are they worth it? They do seem ££ so would need to be better than using fingers!

I've looked at them before but would like one recommended on here.

Also, how do you clean it?

Many thanks

Binglet Thu 13-Nov-14 17:50:39

I have a body shop one. It's lovely. Just wash it ever week or so with make up removing face wash.

Vitalstatistix Thu 13-Nov-14 17:54:08

oh yes! Foundation brushes are fantastic!
I bought this one here

But I really couldn't get on with it, so I bought one like this here and it really is the dog's bollocks.

It's fabulous. I only need the tiniest bit of foundation because it really goes a long way. It is so easy to blend the foundation in and I don't end up with that caked on look.

I wash it with handwash and water, it's been fine with that. I read you can use baby shampoo too.

BuzzardBird Thu 13-Nov-14 17:58:43

I put all mine in a bag and stick them in the washing machine. Come up a treat!
You don't have to spend mega bucks on a brush, but natural hair I find better.
They are really good for blending in your concealer too.

Marylou2 Thu 13-Nov-14 18:31:52

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B007O7AZBG/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1415903392&sr=1-4&pi=AC_SX110_SY165
Real Techniques expert face brush.All their brushes are brilliant!

Marylou2 Thu 13-Nov-14 18:32:43

Sorry link doesn't work.I'm hopeless with new phone.

dottytablecloth Thu 13-Nov-14 18:53:04

Thanks for the recommendations!

LuckySaint Thu 13-Nov-14 18:57:10

I've got a Prescriptives one that i've had for years.
I wash it after every use, with hot water and a tiny drop of Carex hand-wash.
It still looks like new.

UncleSue Thu 13-Nov-14 19:00:54

I have a real techniques one, it is brilliant. wash it weekly with a bit of baby shampoo to keep it in good nick.

AWholeLottaNosy Thu 13-Nov-14 19:06:18

I've bought a few on recommendation from here but never got on with them so end up using fingers to properly blend foundation into my skin. What am I doing wrong..??

UncleSue Thu 13-Nov-14 19:10:26

I dot foundation on my face, then use swift circular movements to apply it over, it gives a lovely finish. It must be the quality of the brush too, as I had a cheapo superdrug own make one and never go on with it. The real techniques one is fab, as are all the brushes.

AWholeLottaNosy Thu 13-Nov-14 19:19:12

I find when I use a brush, the foundation sits on my skin, the only way I can get my skin to absorb it so it looks natural is to use my fingers to blend it in.

MakeMeWarmThisWinter Thu 13-Nov-14 19:59:55

I wouldn't use one. My foundation is fine applied with fingers as I prefer a light coverage - Bourjois Healthy Mix serum for day, YSL Touché Éclat for night.

I think they're horribly unhygienic unless washed after every use, which I wouldn't be arsed doing.

Phantomquartz Thu 13-Nov-14 20:02:38

I use a beauty blender sponge - which also comes with a cleaner, which I use after each use. I find that it gives me a much more even layer of foundation than fingers or a brush. I've experimented with brushes but always end up with smears and brush marks.

Fabulassie Thu 13-Nov-14 20:08:09

Yeah, I've not had much luck with brushes, either. I do use a small concealer brush to put Dermablend on my spots - but for all-over coverage fingers work great. I also like triangular sponges but I am mean and can't shake the feeling that they're soaking up too much product and wasting it!

CoffeeOne Thu 13-Nov-14 20:23:43

I'm also a Beauty Blender convert. It gives a light even coverage. If I want a heavier coverage for a night out I use a foundation brush.

mowglik Thu 13-Nov-14 20:27:07

I used to use mac stippling brushes but got the real techniques expert face brush kit and i love the foundation buffing brush.. Totally recommend it. It really pushes the foundation and gives me a light but even coverage which lasts better than if I use just my fingers to apply..on its own think the brush is £7 or so

AWholeLottaNosy Thu 13-Nov-14 23:25:01

Is there a special technique to use with a brush?

AppleYumYum Thu 13-Nov-14 23:50:43

The Bobbi Brown full face coverage one is the best I've ever had, I've tried many. It leaves a really smooth, line free finish. I use the foundation stick, draw it in lines where I need coverage then buff it in using circular movements. The lady on the counter said she can do it in the dark which I would have to agree with now.
www.bobbibrown.co.uk/product/2282/24768/Brushes-etc/Brushes-and-Tools/Face/Full-Coverage-Face-Brush/Award-Winner/index.tmpl

Vitalstatistix Fri 14-Nov-14 07:28:32

Yes, there is. You put a squirt of the foundation onto your hand, then you dip the brush into it and then you buff your face with it. I have realised that there is no way I am going to be able to describe this so I found a video grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxdyNq81fZI

I am no make up expert. I rarely wear the stuff. My make up lasts me YEARS! This is really easy to do. Even I do it well. That's how easy it is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now